Weight Forcast is increasing

Options
I've being doing well and enjoying the help I get with MFP. I'm staying within, and usually under, my calorie allowance. Why then does it tell me my forecasted weight is higher today than it was yesterday, when I'm 95 calories under my goal of 1200? Protein and sugar are a bit over.

Replies

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    The weight forecast thing is an extrapolation based on numbers. It doesn't "know" anything about you and your body. I wouldn't take it seriously. Many people opt not to "complete" their diary entries for this very reason. I generally do not.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Did you register a weight loss? If so, MFP will recalculate based on your new (sadly lower) calorie needs.
  • scentered
    scentered Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies. Yes, I have recorded weight loss, but that has stopped too in past week.
    I'm feeling good, and can certainly feel a difference in my clothes. I'll stick with this though, as I'm picking up a lot about nutrition.
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just completed my food diary for the day and thought the same thing! My projected weight was a pound higher than it was yesterday, even though my calorie intake was very similar. Interesting. I'll try to ignore it.
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Did you register a weight loss? If so, MFP will recalculate based on your new (sadly lower) calorie needs.
    So, based on this, how often should I change my calorie goals? When I signed up for MFP a few weeks ago, I just filled in the boxes and selected to lose one pound a week, and started tracking based on the number of calories it recommended. Do I have to go in somehow and change the calorie limit at some point, or just if I stop losing? Any advice is appreciated! This is all new to me. I've never really tracked food/counted calories for weight loss before.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just completed my food diary for the day and thought the same thing! My projected weight was a pound higher than it was yesterday, even though my calorie intake was very similar. Interesting. I'll try to ignore it.
    Jolinia wrote: »
    So, based on this, how often should I change my calorie goals? When I signed up for MFP a few weeks ago, I just filled in the boxes and selected to lose one pound a week, and started tracking based on the number of calories it recommended. Do I have to go in somehow and change the calorie limit at some point, or just if I stop losing? Any advice is appreciated! This is all new to me. I've never really tracked food/counted calories for weight loss before.

I reassess my calories every 10lbs or so. You don't have to wait till you lose 10lbs to do this, it's up to you.
    just log your new weight and MFP will automatically give you your new and usually lower calories

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Less exercise today than yesterday?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    scentered wrote: »
    I've being doing well and enjoying the help I get with MFP. I'm staying within, and usually under, my calorie allowance. Why then does it tell me my forecasted weight is higher today than it was yesterday, when I'm 95 calories under my goal of 1200? Protein and sugar are a bit over.

If I understand, you closed at 1105 and it said "if every day is like today, in 5 weeks you will weigh X," and X is higher than your current weight?

Are you sure that MFP has your current weight correct?

If so, check goals and see what it says your deficit and predicted loss per week is. I seriously doubt there's no predicted loss at 1200.

Assuming you are supposed to be losing at 1200, it's some kind of electronic glitch and you might want to email tech support, especially if it keeps up.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's very simple. The weight forecaster is just a math formula. It takes the calculated deficit from today, divides by 100, then subtracts your current weight.* So it will be different every day, based on exactly how much you eat.

*Don't know if that's the exact formula they use, but it's the simplest one I could think of.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Then uh... stop clicking the complete diary/day/entry/whatever it says.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

yeah I've stopped pressing "complete diary". I don't care if my daily meals show on the newsfeed or not.
    I know some people add in quick calories if they're under, even though they haven't even eaten them!!!! Specifically so their completed diary will show up on the newsfeed....

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I complete my diary and shake my head every time I do. The exercise calories are crazy-inflated and it had me losing 21 pounds one day when I didn't eat any back.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

yeah I've stopped pressing "complete diary". I don't care if my daily meals show on the newsfeed or not.
    I know some people add in quick calories if they're under, even though they haven't even eaten them!!!! Specifically so their completed diary will show up on the newsfeed....

Weird :/ I think in the 240+ days I've logged, I've only completed like 5 days of diary lol. Which was when I was first starting!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds to me as though you're saying that when you clicked "complete diary" yesterday, the 5-week forecast was a lower number than when you clicked "complete diary" today? If that's what you're saying, all it means is that you netted a larger deficit yesterday than you did today. MFP only looks at a single day when it makes that forecast. (Take the prediction literally: "if every day were like today" -- if you ate the exact same thing, or same number of calories, every day for the next five weeks, and burned the same number of calories in exercise every day for the next five weeks, MFP's best guess is that you would weigh X pounds. Yesterday's prediction assumed you would eat and exercise the exact same amount as you did yesterday for the next five weeks. Today's prediction assumes that you will repeat today's eating and exercise for five weeks--like Groundhog Day :) And if you logged your weight since yesterday, the starting point for the MFP calculations will be different as well.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds to me as though you're saying that when you clicked "complete diary" yesterday, the 5-week forecast was a lower number than when you clicked "complete diary" today? If that's what you're saying, all it means is that you netted a larger deficit yesterday than you did today. MFP only looks at a single day when it makes that forecast. (Take the prediction literally: "if every day were like today" -- if you ate the exact same thing, or same number of calories, every day for the next five weeks, and burned the same number of calories in exercise every day for the next five weeks, MFP's best guess is that you would weigh X pounds. Yesterday's prediction assumed you would eat and exercise the exact same amount as you did yesterday for the next five weeks. Today's prediction assumes that you will repeat today's eating and exercise for five weeks--like Groundhog Day :) And if you logged your weight since yesterday, the starting point for the MFP calculations will be different as well.)

Oh, this makes sense and is obviously correct. I thought she was saying that it was telling her she'd gain weight, which would be crazy at those calories and suggest something was screwy.
  • scentered
    scentered Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - your replies have really helped. I think I'll stop 'completing' the diary as has been suggested. I have stuck religiously, possibly neurotically, within my calorie allowance, and just about to record my 2nd week of no weight loss. I do though, feel slimmer and clothes confirm that. I'm a bit confused but going to stick at it. Thanks for your support everyone,