You mean I can't lose weight by just *thinking* about exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I can relate to what you are feeling. I started this process hoping to get healthy by losing weight. I was 244 pounds 5'2", at 44 years old. First thing I did was join the gym - trying on workout clothes was a moment that I would not wish on my worst enemy! But I did it, I found something I was willing to be seen in and went to the gym. Started doing 15 minutes on the elliptical and 15 on the stationary bike, I took my time working my time and intensity up - no injuries needed! At first I just started writing down everything I ate and one day someone suggested this app called MFP - I did lose some weight prior to this but I am not sure how things would have progressed without MFP.

Like I mentioned I wanted to be healthy, get off high blood pressure medication and started with a goal of getting to 175 (Dr. approved) I knew I was overweight but I never though of myself as fat or unattractive due to my weight. It was just a part of who I was. Being overweight does not have to define you as a person.

I have lost 94 lbs so far and would love to get that to an even 100 but maybe not. I have gone from a size 20/22 to 2/4 and sort of want to stay here. It took me about 2 years but in that time I have learned so much about myself and what I am capable of that it is amazing. Take your time, set small goals, don't think about the 100 pounds you want to lose. Think of other things that you can conquer. If like to snack work on ways to minimize that or if you are a late night eater or emotional eater work on ways to balance these things and along the way you will find others areas to make changes. These types of changes are things that you will be able to live with.

It can happen, Also, I know you may not want to - but trust me it will be beneficial as things progress -- Take Photos!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I don't make weight loss my goal.

I make logging my food as a goal, and staying under my calories.

And exercise is a goal for me, 4 times a week.

That way, it is not overwhelming. Otherwise I would just give it up.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

That's a good plan! I had a similar approach, I made health my goal, it took the focus of the weighloss pressure that so many of us feel and I found I was able to get started much easier.

• jenniferelizabethwiseman
    Options
    I so feel the same way, and am just starting. I don't want to, I'm resentful, I'm fearful, and way too many of the motivations I have are negative instead of positive. But I am going to do this. I will need motivation and help too. Please feel free to add me as a friend--I would appreciate it!
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There are some great, supportive people on here, and I'm sure you will find some like-minded people to interact with. For me, that has been one of the biggest factors - surrounding myself with people (even if it's just with "online" people) who have a similar goal - it helps so much to know that you're not alone and there are people out there to celebrate with you when things are going great, commiserate when things get tough, and to be there to keep you motivated. I'm all too familiar with feeling like it's a lost cause, but you've done a great thing by logging in & reaching out to the community! You don't have to make a ton of drastic changes all at once - make small changes over time, and eventually you'll wonder why you ever even thought it was so hard. Also, for me, when I'm struggling with motivation to go to the gym, I just start with small stuff, like either going ahead and putting on the music I listen to while working out, or putting on my workout gear while I'm just being lazy. That usually ends up making me want to get out the door and go to the gym. Even if you say to yourself "Ok, just gonna go for 15 minutes..." first, that's better than nothing, and second, I bet once those first 15 minutes are up, you'll want to keep going.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Bukeelaka
    Options

Yes!!!^^^ This type of mindset is what worked for me as well.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about you all day. I don't know if this helps you, but it does me. Losing weight is not rocket science. I don't mean it's easy as in "a walk in the park" but it is simple. Lots of things in this world are hard work and have uncertain results. You could start today, practice 8 hours a day, and still never become a successful concert pianist if you just don't have an ear for music. You could valiantly battle cancer and still die from it. On the other hand, if you eat less and increase your exercise, you will lose weight. It is basically guaranteed. It may be slower or faster, and there are certainly variables at play, but it's basically impossible to fail. The only way to fail is to not do it. What else that is important to us, and that we work hard at, is so certain to succeed? The hardest part is to decide to be successful. It took me 30-some years. How long will it take you?
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    My two cents, and it's not a lot of effort or exercise. It becomes fun, (really, I SWEAR!)

1.) Stop thinking in terms of "I need to lose X amount". That's just a number.
    2.) Read the labels at the grocery store. Sometimes, a different brand name right beside your usual has less calories or salt. This starts you into the habit of fully changing your eating habits.
    3.) I don't like going to the gym either. And there's nothing more demoralizing than signing up, only to not go. Luckily, the Internet (YouTube) is loaded with a variety of simple exercise. You simply do it before you eat. You can even find a one-minute walk.
    4.) While you sign in daily and log food, don't be measuring/weighing yourself all the time. I weigh once a week. If I don't like the scale, I weigh the next week and that's the one I log. Maybe take a measurement or two (hips, waist), but again, I don't measure these things all the time. I can tell what's happening by the way the clothes are fitting.
    5.) Don't consider yourself to be dieting. No one goes on a "reverse diet".... like, "I know what I'm going to do today. I'm going to eat junk for the next 2 years and see what happens!". So going on a diet is just as a ridiculous notion. It is a lifestyle change and it's to change habits. And if you bite your nails, or smoke, you will see that it's like any habit. Tough to break. But doable.
    6.) Simply do not bring the junk food home. I avoid going in to the gas station because I know I will be tempted for a quick snack (I do pay at the pump though... I don't gas and dash!). I got my husband to do the groceries at first. I knew I would be tempted.
    7.) Pay yourself. (Seriously.... I do this with wine during the week.) When you were at the grocery store (but you shouldn't be... remember? Ask someone else to shop!), and you wanted the bag of chips, but you said no, and didn't get them, then pay yourself for the bag of chips. At the end of the week count your money. Use it to buy some really weird healthy food you don't usually eat (I recently used the last few months of "no wine during the week" money to pay the balance on my upcoming cruise.
    8.) Slow and steady wins the race. It's not the numbers but the effort that counts. Let your efforts, and small successes boost your self-esteem.
  • AppleGypsy
    AppleGypsy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, these responses help in a way I never thought possible. I knew you were responding to my post, and when I got home I had a feeling of a sense of responsibility to not eat something horrible, so I wouldn't let you all down haha, weird! I feel much better about this now than I expected to :)