My Job Is Draining...

Options
NewMK08
NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
I have to vent somewhere because my poor husband hears it every day and I'm sure he is SO sick of it....But, we moved to OK from TX back in May, and while I graduated with a teaching degree, I have yet to become certified to teach in OK. So I'm working as a customer service representative in an office with a total of 3 people, all of whom are my parent's age or older. So, I have no one really "talk" to, and I haven't been able to make new friends in this new state because I'm either at work, the gym, or home, and to top it all off I can't stand my job!

I know I'll only be here (at this job) a little while longer because I'm taking my certification tests next month, but I dread every day and end up in the worst mood because I hate being here. I'm always looking for excuses/hoping to get sick so that I don't have to go to work for a couple of days!

I hate feeling this way and having such a crummy attitude, and I really do feel sorry for my husband because I always go home in the WORST moods-This job is just slowly sucking all of the happiness out of me.

*Sigh* Just had to get that out there...

Oh, and I just realized (after getting off the phone with a customer), that I'm not very friendly to them either. My customer service really needs some work :grumble:
I hate being this person! I really need to get a new outlook/attitude about things...Let's just hope this post is my Monday Blues talking...Only I'm afraid it's not!

Replies

• NewMK08
    Options
    I have to vent somewhere because my poor husband hears it every day and I'm sure he is SO sick of it....But, we moved to OK from TX back in May, and while I graduated with a teaching degree, I have yet to become certified to teach in OK. So I'm working as a customer service representative in an office with a total of 3 people, all of whom are my parent's age or older. So, I have no one really "talk" to, and I haven't been able to make new friends in this new state because I'm either at work, the gym, or home, and to top it all off I can't stand my job!

I know I'll only be here (at this job) a little while longer because I'm taking my certification tests next month, but I dread every day and end up in the worst mood because I hate being here. I'm always looking for excuses/hoping to get sick so that I don't have to go to work for a couple of days!

I hate feeling this way and having such a crummy attitude, and I really do feel sorry for my husband because I always go home in the WORST moods-This job is just slowly sucking all of the happiness out of me.

*Sigh* Just had to get that out there...

Oh, and I just realized (after getting off the phone with a customer), that I'm not very friendly to them either. My customer service really needs some work :grumble:
    I hate being this person! I really need to get a new outlook/attitude about things...Let's just hope this post is my Monday Blues talking...Only I'm afraid it's not!
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, girl. I can totally empathize because I'm stuck in a similar situation. My husband and I moved to TX because he found a great job down here. Meanwhile, I need several more years of grad school before I can get a real job in my field. So I'm working as customer service manager for a tiny little office here in town and I can't stand it either! I haven't made any real friends here and the job is sooooo dumb. I can't stand how the boss takes it so seriously though, it drives me to drink! :drinker:

Anyway, hang in there! It'll be over eventually.
  • NewMK08
    Options
    I know what you mean-My boss freaks out over the tiniest things and it's all I can do not to roll my eyes or just laugh. And I promise I'm not one of those disrespectful, haughty little 20-something's...Usually. This job just brings out the worst in me!
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    :frown: Its too bad that your job is such a drag. But these days at least you have one. Try looking at the good in the people around you. Start conversations even with the older group of people.
    You'd be surprised that they have a lot of the same feelings your having and they might be able to give you suggestions about where to meet people your age and have some fun.
    I still have some wild times in my life and I totally understand that life is not ice cream socials. Just because the people you work with are older don't mean that they don't have a life beyond work. :drinker: :drinker: Invite someone from your office to dinner or out for some drinks. You may have a good time. Talk to people and listen to their stories because you may find out that everyone is a potential friend.:smile::smile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    ***Big hug from one teacher to a soon-to-be one***

Mine isn't all it's cracked up to be either...but the kids make it worth it.
    You'll be done with it soon and hopefully doing something you can tolerate better.
    Even as a teacher it can be rough...limited peers for me here, lots of baggage.... AND I get pissed off parents... which I enjoy (cause I am twisted).

:laugh:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Can you substitute until you have your certification?
  • healthychic
    Options
    Ugh, i can't stand my jobs either!! I have three of them, all retail. The one actually I like its at Coach. But the other two i can't stand. they give me like 3 hours a week, and I am like, "um, yeah some of us have bills we have to pay!!" They just don't get it.

I feel ya,

:heart: Danielle
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Hi there, sorry to hear that you are not too happy in your current job. Have you tried Reiki and or Binaural Beats. I have attained my 1st Degree in Reiki and am currently trying Binaural beats both have made me a much more relaxed and happier person (I found that if I am more pleasant to others they will recipreciate) and I am sure you will find that once you start working in your chosen profession both of these practices will help you :bigsmile: and your long suffering husband.
    Regards
    lizjkp
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ok, I really wasn't going to reply, but the more I thought about it... For what it's worth, here's what I would say to by teenage, young adult daughters:

First, what are you thankful in your life? I ask them that question every single day. It makes them focus on the positive. How about, you're thankful that you have a job when you need one to tie you over, you're thankful that it's just temporary, etc...

Second, only YOU have the power to change your life. If it's really that bad, do something about it. Or if like someone else posted, just try to get to know those around you a little better.

Third, when all else fails BE A DUCK! My girls get tired of hearing this, and sometimes I just "quack" at them to remind them. Let it run off your back like water on a duck. What impact does this have on you life in total? Will you remember it 10, 5 years from now? How about in a year or 6 months? If it does have a big impact then, maybe you need to make changes now, if not, the be a duck...

Last, it's ok to rant about something, just don't let what's bothering make you into a person you don't want to be.
  • NewMK08
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies-I know I need to have a better attitude about things. And yes, I am thankful that I even have a job right now-I know that there are so many others that desperately need a job that can't find one. I would LOVE to substitute until I have my certification...Not only would I enjoy it, I would get my foot in the door to different schools who could be looking for new teachers! But, the job I'm at pays pretty good (another reason to be thankful), and substitutes don't make enough for me to quit here and start subbing. Unfortunately. Ugh-I hate that it's all about the money!

I just need to keep making steady steps to my certification tests and a new job that I'll enjoy. In the meantime, I'm a duck :wink:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I second you in hating that it's all about money. If money wasn't an obstacle, there are SO many other things I could do right now instead of this office job. In the broad scope of things, I'm thankful to have this well-paid, relatively simple job, but under the surface I sometimes can't stand that I'm good enough at BS to rise to a manager in customer service. :laugh:
  • larapdab
    Options
    Well Newkim

We work 3 days a week. My wife n I alternate working with our 24 year old. We wash Windows for businesses and detail cars at their homes. We just like to spend time with r kids . We have 7 girls.
    Sometimes we work more. We know all the cool restaurants. Hopefully we will open other locations besides Nashville soon. We work to live .