Breakfast Sandwiches

Options
kmparks24
kmparks24 Posts: 198
I posted this in food and nutrition also, but wanted to make sure the 'Recipe' crew saw this too :)

Not sure if many of you do this, but the idea hit me like a ton of bricks last week. I was eating one of my Smart Ones breakfast sandwiches last week when I realized that I can make these yummy sandwiches myself and freeze them in advance for less money.. Actually $1.15 per sandwich. :) 1 piece of turkey bacon, 3/4 slice 2% cheese, approx. 1/4 cup egg substitute, and 1 Whole wheat light English muffin. Prepare turkey bacon, egg, and stack on your muffin along with cheese, seal them up in individual baggies, freeze, and voila! The next morning take pop it in the microwave for a minute or so and enjoy your healthy homemade goodness :) I didn't use any butter in this sandwich and it averages out to just under 200 calories per sandwich.

YUM! I'm in breakfast sandwich heaven and I have plenty more in my freezer for days to come

Replies

• jkannon5001
    jkannon5001 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump - sounds really good.
  • jeseka619
    jeseka619 Posts: 21
    Options
    And yours is probably a lot healthier -- much less salt and preservatives!! Those type of frozen meals tend to be loaded with sodium and chemicals! Great thinking! :)
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time! But I've never made them ahead of time and put them in the freezer. That's good thinking!

I take a Thomas's Bagel Thin (110 calories), 1 egg (70 calories), fat free American cheese (30 calories) if I want. Mmmm!
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    I never thought of freezing them - thanks for the idea! Definitely are cheaper and healthier. I make my own "Healthy Choice Steamers" too, they keep me a lot fuller longer and are cheaper
  • RHOyalT
    RHOyalT Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It's one of those "DUH" moments! My husband eats these all the time. It would make so much sense to make these myself and save tons of money. Thanks so much for waking me up! :noway:
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    Ohhh, help me out with the steamer idea!??
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    That is such a good idea! Thanks!!