Looking for someone who is a type 2 diabetic

I am having the worst time snacking at night because i get so hungry. Then by morning my sugar levels are very high. I have tried to just not eat anything but I am also an insomniac and so I can't sleep through the hunger. I am just hungry a lot during the night. HELP? I guess I just need to keep good snacks on hand...but even when I do that my sugar goes up. I have only been diagnosed with diabetes for a year and I hate it so much. 5 shots a day. I hate it. I will take any helpful tips:) thanks, Southern Belle 50

Replies

• runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    I was diagnosed type II a few years ago. I took the meds and insulin to get myself under control then left it up to exercise and diet. The beauty of adult onset diabetes is that you can reverse the symptoms by undoing what has caused it. Sounds easier than it is but it doesn't take long. try an exercise routine before bed to start.
  • runfoorun, Thanks for writing back. That is a good idea ~ to work out a bit before bed. I guess I shouldn't complain because type 2 can be reversed and so many people have it so much worse than I do. I just really hate the hunger all night long. I'm just wondering if my body is craving something like protein..or a vitamin..or a veggie?? I can't seem to feed it at night so it is satisfied all night. Thanks for getting back to me. Have a good night:)) SB50
  • runfoorun
    No problem. Just remember to pick up some tricks on how to control the sugar. If you eat a carb, eat some protein with it so it doesn't skyrocket your sugar. Strength train at night, push ups, sit ups. It all counts. It all helps. Good luck.
  • Wow!! thanks...I never even knew about that ~ to eat protein if you do have a carb..thanks so much!! I tell you I have really been in denial and not learning tricks mainly because I've had my head in the sand for a year. Thanks~ that helps a lot:)) Good luck to you as well:)
  • runfoorun
    Send me a FR if you like. I can help you control it, or maybe even reverse your diabetes.
  • OK I will send it now!
  • SarahHowells1
    SarahHowells1 Posts: 132 Member
    I have type one diabetes so a little different, but obviously still have similar issues with blood sugar control. My recommendation would be to eat really well early in the day (big breakfast, snack, good sized lunch, snack, good sized dinner). This will help to curb hunger in the evening.

In regard to cravings in the evening (i.e. when you are not actually hungry, you just feel like eating sweets etc) I would highly recommend making sure your blood sugars are in target range as I notice when mine creep up to 180 -200 I start to crave high energy food as higher sugars give me a big energy slump and I crave sugar to combat it (but in reality it just makes things worse :/).

Following these tips as-well as going for a short (or long if you feel like it) walk in the evening really helps me in keeping those over night and morning blood sugars in the normal range.

And trust me I know more than enough what its like to wake up with a sugar level of 350 or even higher, and I know it can ruin your whole morning!!! I hope this is helpful! =) x
  • Hi Sarah, thanks so much. I can't believe all that I do not know about how to live with diabetes. I really have to take control now and put advice like you just gave me into action. I really appreciate it, what you said makes total sense. Thanks so much:) SB50
  • cmropen
    cmropen Posts: 2 Member
    It's great that you've been able to pinpoint some patterns to when you feel hungry. Have you brought this up with your doctor? She or he might be able to help your further, not to just give you pointers, but to point to any adjustments to meds or tests or procedures that should be done.
  • hi cmropen, thanks for the advice. I will bring all of this up with my Dr. my next visit. He is pretty smart and understanding ....he himself just lost 170 lbs so he gets a lot of the problems his patients have and has really good advice. Thanks again:)
    Are you a diabetic?
  • smytimeisnow
    smytimeisnow Posts: 1 Member
    I was diagnosed a few years ago...and at my last appt my dr didn't trust her notes that told her my diagnoses :). I agree whole heartedly with the protein comment...it's huge! Also fiber. Anything that slows down the digestion of carbs is a good thing. I found that sugar wasn't my biggest concern...white flour was. Keep an eye on what foods spike your numbers most.

I also know that if I eat poorly before bed I won't truly spike...but my number will stay high throughout the night. I can eat a pasta dinner at night and my numbers will never go above 160...but when I wake up in the morning they will still be there, even 12 hours later.

I think the biggest trick is similar to the tricks for weight loss...eat balanced, give your body foods that are harder to digest (aka keeps you full longer...again, anything with fiber and /or protein), and stay active! Get to know your triggers. And work on weight loss...I find that even 5 lbs can make a huge difference on how well my blood sugar is managed!!

Feel free to add me if you want. :) And good luck!!
  • Oh thanks so much...yes i really need to keep my focus on what you said about high fiber and protein. I swear it's like I need to be told like I'm a 4 year old. It really helps when you and others just break everything down for me ...like you did ~ It just helps me more. I thank you a lot for taking the time to write. I just really have to take control and learn what I am doing. Thanks so much and I did send you a FR.