Newbie, determined to win the war.

Options
So hey there!
I'm obviously new to MFP and I hope to meet amazing people and to encourage each other to become the best we can be. As of today, February 3rd, 2015, I weigh at 321 lbs. The most I have ever weighed in my life and im just 18 years old. My goal is to drop to 220 lbs at 6'1". I am trying to slim down and not bulk up. If any of you wish to give me tips and advice such as workouts you've done that have worked for you , diets that don't sacrifice taste or anything else then I am more than happy to listen and learn from experienced people. I am currently a full time college student so trying to eat properly is difficult and finding the proper time to workout is difficult as well but I am going to try my best to achieve my goal and I hope I can count on you to encourage me and push me on through, as I will also be doing the same. Thank you if you have stayed and read my entire post. Thank you for taking time out of your life to aid someone who is just like you, someone who dreams of bettering themselves and has the determination and drive to do it. So once again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Replies

• genericuser138
    genericuser138 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just do carrion start with walking a couple miles a few times a week then add hills. When you get used to that go back to flat ground and add speed. When you get used to that run up hills. Just watch your intake, and stay away from the things you know you shouldn't have.
  • genericuser138
    Options
    That should say cardio not carrion.
  • iandrew124
    iandrew124 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That should say cardio not carrion.

I figured you meant cardio. xD
    Thank you for taking the time to give me a starting point. I just got out of the gym an hour ago. Pretty much did 1 hour of cardio and some wights for 20-30 min. May I ask how many miles you suggest?
  • nzfishas
    nzfishas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great advice! I use nike+ app which helps me track how many miles I've done. Encourage you to check it out as it has many features. Also, do as many miles as you can per work out. Some days I have a distance goal other days a calorie burn goal. I'm no expert, just learning as I go. Hope this helps
  • genericuser138
    Options
    Do whatever you can do. A year ago a walking a mile was a lot for me. Then a month ago I was running 5 miles at least once a week. Get an app like runkeeper to track your exercise. It will sync with this and is free. It gps tracks activity outdoors and you can log activities at the gym or use the stop watch mode.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    nzfishas wrote: »
    Cardio is great advice! I use nike+ app which helps me track how many miles I've done. Encourage you to check it out as it has many features. Also, do as many miles as you can per work out. Some days I have a distance goal other days a calorie burn goal. I'm no expert, just learning as I go. Hope this helps

Oh wow, alright. o:
    I'm going to have to check that app out. Thank you for the advice. c:
  • iandrew124
    Options
    Do whatever you can do. A year ago a walking a mile was a lot for me. Then a month ago I was running 5 miles at least once a week. Get an app like runkeeper to track your exercise. It will sync with this and is free. It gps tracks activity outdoors and you can log activities at the gym or use the stop watch mode.

Well for now I can do a fair amount of running. So that should help, but I'm going to also check that app out since it syncs with this one for free. I've also thought about buying a fitbit band but I am still currently doing research to see which one would be useful. Thank you again for the advice, I appreciate it. c:
  • steelerfan1967
    Options
    Best thing is Don't Give Up.. Make small reachable goals. And realize sometimes the best results don't come from the scales, they come from nsv or non scale victories such as looser fitting clothes or being able to walk further etc.. you can add me if u want as well. and welcome to MFP
  • genericuser138
    Options
    I use a pebble smart watch. It has that misfit activity tracker app available and works with many fitness apps. I like it because it does what the fit boy does and then some. I researched fitness watches a lot. I found they are either pedometers or smart phone app displays. If they don't fit those categories they tend to be very expensive. But the pebble is actually really cool even if you don't use it for fitness.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    Best thing is Don't Give Up.. Make small reachable goals. And realize sometimes the best results don't come from the scales, they come from nsv or non scale victories such as looser fitting clothes or being able to walk further etc.. you can add me if u want as well. and welcome to MFP

You are absolutely correct on that. c:
    I try to make my goals reachable and still reach beyond them because I know I can.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    I use a pebble smart watch. It has that misfit activity tracker app available and works with many fitness apps. I like it because it does what the fit boy does and then some. I researched fitness watches a lot. I found they are either pedometers or smart phone app displays. If they don't fit those categories they tend to be very expensive. But the pebble is actually really cool even if you don't use it for fitness.

I've heard of it, I guess its time to do some research and choose one. o:
  • FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I am fairly new here too...1 month. I have chosen to not eliminate anything from my diet...I am just staying completely within my allotted calories and maintaining the recommended balance...ie protein to carb to fat.
    So far the 2 things that have me the most are the support found here from people on a similar journey and my Vivofit! Do you have a tracker of any sort? They have a strange way of helping you stay motivated and giving you that little reminder if you have been sedentary too long. It doesn't take hard core work outs every day to help get you into a healthier life style.
    Feel free to friend request me if you'd like. Best of luck on your journey and KUDOS for you for taking the 1st step!!! :)
  • iandrew124
    Options
    Welcome. I am fairly new here too...1 month. I have chosen to not eliminate anything from my diet...I am just staying completely within my allotted calories and maintaining the recommended balance...ie protein to carb to fat.
    So far the 2 things that have me the most are the support found here from people on a similar journey and my Vivofit! Do you have a tracker of any sort? They have a strange way of helping you stay motivated and giving you that little reminder if you have been sedentary too long. It doesn't take hard core work outs every day to help get you into a healthier life style.
    Feel free to friend request me if you'd like. Best of luck on your journey and KUDOS for you for taking the 1st step!!! :)

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. c: But you are correct, you don't have to do hardcore workouts to lose weight. I myself prefer to push my body because it feels good knowing I physically am doing something to better myself.
  • nylo143
    nylo143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello :) welcome, and I wish you the best on your new journey. It's the best decision you can make !
    As a recent college grad I can tell you the biggest mistake I made was wasting who knows how much money on food, and eating unhealthy. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to take out time to cook for yourself. I know it's hard I know you don't have time, but make time ! Even once a week meal prep or half meal prep ( I cut up all my veggies and chicken etc and cook later if I don't have time to cook for the whole week). That way you can grab and go and not worry about finding healthy options on campus which I always struggled with. I wish I would give myself this same advice 4-5 years ago!
    Simple recipes are the best, instant brown rice and some chicken plus veggie, kale and spinach salads, open face sandwiches etc.
  • embee2301
    embee2301 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome and goodluck!
  • iandrew124
    Options
    nylo143 wrote: »
    Hello :) welcome, and I wish you the best on your new journey. It's the best decision you can make !
    As a recent college grad I can tell you the biggest mistake I made was wasting who knows how much money on food, and eating unhealthy. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to take out time to cook for yourself. I know it's hard I know you don't have time, but make time ! Even once a week meal prep or half meal prep ( I cut up all my veggies and chicken etc and cook later if I don't have time to cook for the whole week). That way you can grab and go and not worry about finding healthy options on campus which I always struggled with. I wish I would give myself this same advice 4-5 years ago!
    Simple recipes are the best, instant brown rice and some chicken plus veggie, kale and spinach salads, open face sandwiches etc.

Good evening and yes!
    I want to cook more healthy food for myself and I know I can make time but all I need left are recipes and meals to make to eat. Especially something fast early in the morning since I need to wake up at 4:30.
    But yeah, I agree simple recipes are the best.
    Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me take steps to achieve my goal. c:
  • iandrew124
    Options
    embee2301 wrote: »
    Welcome and goodluck!

Thank you! :3
  • iandrew124
    Options
    Let's get pumped! B)
  • meraki78
    meraki78 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    One of the posts noted that she uses the Garmin Vivofit to help track activity, I also use a Vivofit and absolutely love it. I did many reviews on others such as Fitbit etc. but Vivofit was the one for me. It's not to big and bulky to wear, water proof so I literally wear it 24/7, has a small screen so I can see everything at a glance and use it for a watch. Great price also, <$100 if you get on without the heart rate band. And it syncs with MFP! Love it!! Good luck with your journey, I'm only 2 weeks in so I know exactly where your at and what your thinking. Keep your chin up and keep moving forward. I have already seen some progress in the short time I have started, you will also :)
  • Btbeam
    Btbeam Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Welcome I have lost 110 lbs with 140 to go. I will be here for the long haul feel free to add me.