Eating 800 calories a day

Options

Replies

• MSlaterSr
    MSlaterSr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    btw I am 5' 11' 270 lbs, MFP tells me I can eat 1600 calories w/o exercise and still lose 2 lb per week. When I meet my FitBit goals MFP tells me I should be eating around 2200 calories.
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" female I weigh the same as you. I eat 2300 a day. I think I'd die at 800. literally die lol. I certainly would not have any energy to get me through to day let alone exercise. My BMR is 1800 which means even if I was in a coma i would still need that amount to keep my organs functioning. my guess is if you are feeling full you might not be as accurate as you think with tracking calories. You'll want to figure out a baseline with a BMR calculator to make sure you don't go below it.
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    800 is way too low. Your body will go into starvation mode. You NEED to eat at least 1500 a day! The MFP goal you see is your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), which means that in order for your body to be awake, you are supposed to meet that goal. Not everyone does this granted, but 800 per day is far too low. All that happens is your body shuts down a bit, your metabolic rate(MR) drops, and your body stores fuel. Actually eating can and will increase your MR, helping you to lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    fsalib3 wrote: »
    Male and my current weight is 225 lbs.

NO.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I made a daily meal plan for myself and when I logged it on myfitnesspal the total calories for the day was 800. I feel like it's enough food for me and seems pretty healthy. However a lot of things I'm reading say that below a 1000 calories a day is unhealthy , is this true ?

If you would like to lose weight --just weight--and don't care where it comes from, that plan is fine. If you don't mind losing a higher percentage of muscle, thus making your overall body composition worse and your metabolism slower.
    Also if health is not an issue--in other words you don't mind the possibility of losing hair, having pale skin, getting sick more often, or feeling unwell/run down in general-- proceed.
  • fsalib3
    fsalib3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Will definetly be adding some calories to my diet, as most of u explained 800 calories is just not enough even if I feel like I'm full.
    Thanks for all the advice :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    As lots of people on here have said, 800 isn't nearly enough for someone your height and weight.

This myth about the "1200 calories" has to go away though. I realize it is as low as MFP goes, I imagine for liability reasons, but I have a friend who is about 5 feet on the nose and does coding for a living (very sedentary). She is more than full at 800-1000 calories. 1200 is not some magic bottom line that people should chime in with the second this question is asked on the forums. Wait to get the whole story.
    Sorry but it's absurd for you to even think there is a way to justify that this man can eat 800 calories or 1000 calories. You should just stop posting advice after displaying this level of thinking. It's reckless.

Haha, way to read the very first sentence of the post. "As lots of people on here have said, 800 isn't nearly enough for someone your height and weight." The very first thing I did was say 800 calories was too low. The next section was about the 1200 calories myth. If only I'd left some visual break or gap between the two thoughts to help separate them.
    1200 calories is totally enough then for a male who does not share any of the same stats as you do.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    As long you eat enough protein to maintain lean body mass, you are doing fine. All diet program out there is replace two meals with their liquid shake and 1 regular meal for dinner. Eat .9g per kilo of your weight and no more than 225g (your weight). You should 2 time weight lifting a week, 2 sets 6-8 reps. Don't do high intensity cardio work out, walk 30 minutes a day. Give you at least 1 free meal a day.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @fsalib3‌ How's it going? Have you reset your goals? How many calories are you aiming for now? :)
  • fsalib3
    Options
    @fsalib3‌ How's it going? Have you reset your goals? How many calories are you aiming for now? :)

It's going great thanks for asking :)
    I added brown rice to my dinners instead of just eating the protein alone. Also added a few things to my breakfast and now my calories are at about 1300 per day, I know it should be more so I'm going to keep working on it till its around 1600 at least
  • ana3067
    Options

It's going great thanks for asking :)
    I added brown rice to my dinners instead of just eating the protein alone. Also added a few things to my breakfast and now my calories are at about 1300 per day, I know it should be more so I'm going to keep working on it till its around 1600 at least
    At your stats you can eat more than 1600. Please consider eating at least 2000 calories. 1300 is still better than 800 though; working your way up slowly to a reasonable goal may work the best for you, perhaps an extra 150 calories per week until you reach 2000 cals as a goal.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Dam, my lunch was nearly 800 calories..... Then Ive still got breakfast, dinner and about 400 cal in snacks to graze on

• fsalib3
    Options
    I will for sure try adding more calories every week, 150 seems like a good amount, however 2000 seems like a lot , the mfp calculator told me about 1860 in order to lose 2lbs a week.

• ana3067
    Options
    I will for sure try adding more calories every week, 150 seems like a good amount, however 2000 seems like a lot , the mfp calculator told me about 1860 in order to lose 2lbs a week.
    Your ticker indicates a 30lb goal. You do not need to lose 2lb/week; at most 1lb/week. Your goals will likely be more than 2000 if adjusting the loss rate to 1lb/week.

At least work your way up by 100-200 cals a week until you reach 1860 calories. Afterwards, stay there for a few weeks. By that point you'll have probably lost some more weight, at which point it'd be advisable to switch to a 1lb/week goal, and then you can work your way up to that as well if the jump is too high to just eat it straight out (e.g. more than 200 calorie increase). This is all net as well, so you should be eating your calories back if you log exercise - at least half of them
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I made a daily meal plan for myself and when I logged it on myfitnesspal the total calories for the day was 800. I feel like it's enough food for me and seems pretty healthy. However a lot of things I'm reading say that below a 1000 calories a day is unhealthy , is this true ?
    Not healthy at all. Eat more.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    According to mfp 1860 calories a day is what I need. I guess I need to add an extra meal into my daily plan

Excellent.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    How accurately are you weighing your food? Are you using a scale or measuring cups? I was surprised how inaccurate I was a year ago when using mostly measuring spoons and eye-balling methods.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Excellent, hope you're following their advice.