WHY?!

Options
This might be a silly question but, no matter what I do, I ALWAYS crave sugar at night... Is there anything that could be causing this?

Replies

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you're used to eating sugar and you're cutting back, you're going to crave it for a while. I don't fight it; I just lessen the amount I have. I always make room for a little chocolate or sweet snack if I'm really struggling. :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Maybe not enough calories during the day?

Do you do evening workouts? That can drain blood sugar.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you're used to eating sugar and you're cutting back, you're going to crave it for a while. I don't fight it; I just lessen the amount I have. I always make room for a little chocolate or sweet snack if I'm really struggling. :)

I'm the same way as you. I live by KrissyMuree's suggestion.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I crave sugar when I'm tired, as my body wants quick energy. Would make sense that you crave it at night, if that's the case.
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SUGAR. But at night I often find the real cause is because I am thirsty. Try drinking some herbal tea or just water. You could also try eating some fruit
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Oddly I found that when I switched to full fat milk, those craving stopped. Now I have a rice cake instead.
  • embee2301
    embee2301 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me, it was gaps in my nutrition. Once I sarted flooding my body with the nutrients it needed, the cravings stopped. I don't have sugar cravings anymore. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've swapped chocolate for rasberries and blackberries. Satisfies my sweet tooth with hundreds less calories
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    +1 frozen berries are awesome too
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

embee2301 wrote: »
    For me, it was gaps in my nutrition. Once I started flooding my body with the nutrients it needed, the cravings stopped. I don't have sugar cravings anymore. :)
    OMG...thank you. It may sound so logical and simple to some but I guess I needed to hear this yet again for it to click. so glad you posted!! <3
    I've swapped chocolate for raspberries and blackberries. Satisfies my sweet tooth with hundreds less calories

great idea...I love berries!
    +1 frozen berries are awesome too
    Now this I haven't tried for awhile. I do love frozen grapes though! I bet TJ's frozen mango is awesome!

I know for myself and this may or may not apply to you OP... When I overeat sweets (what I would call simple carbs, breads, junk food, anything that turns quickly into sugar when it hits my blood stream) it's almost like a roller coaster the very next day... Likely because my blood sugar goes UP and then down and UP again expecting the same thing. So what I have to do is chill out on the simple carbs and be a bit more careful and as some have shared change or alternate choices until my blood sugars balance out and I don't have that crazy craving happening.

I agree with the poster that shared if you're cutting back that might be why your body is craving...you body will adjust though. :)

oh and BTW? Not a silly question at all!! :)
  • EmilyDawn1111
    EmilyDawn1111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone!!! :) i'll deffinatly try your suggestions! You're all awesome :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I want sugar when I eat sugar. Like say I decide to have a bagel and cream cheese for breakfast, by 10am I'm starving and I want something like a Snickers. If I eat eggs and turkey sausage like I typically do, I'm satiated until lunch. I think you need to look at the types of foods you are eating and see if there's any carby thing throughout the day might be triggering you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day to include a snack at night. Personally, I like to have something yummy everyday, so I make room for it.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I looooove snacking at night! I try to save up some calories during the day so I have enough calories to snack at night! lol :)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a chobani indulgent yogurts. I love the double chocolate chunk. Its got a little protein, and a lot of chocolate flavor. IT really hits the spot when i crave something sweet at night. http://www.chobani.com/products/indulgent#double-chocolate-chunk