Why is it so hard to get past the 2 week mark?

Options
I am really good at tracking and planning meals etc. for about 15 days in a row. Then I fall off track for a few days (or months). I get back on track and the cycle starts again. Maybe I am just missing accountability or something. I am trying to keep going. I only got off track for a few days this time, however I am afraid that I will falter again.

Replies

• carmelinda2
    Options
    Hi :) maybe you need friends to stay motivated. I have done the same thing so many times. But i have noticed a difference with extra friend support. You can add me if you like?
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was actually just thinking of posting the same exact thing. I am great for two weeks, and then I fall off the band wagon for a month or two then start all over. Any advice anyone has for making it past the two week mark would be greatly appreciated by me too.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to make changes that are too extreme for you?
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

This can sum up a lot of what causes that. Extreme changes really took its toll on my keeping on track. Once I realized things don't change over night I kept it up. I'm on a 92 day streak now and haven't stopped since I came to that conclusion.

Take it one day at a time!!
  • Phoenix150
    Phoenix150 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

This can sum up a lot of what causes that. Extreme changes really took its toll on my keeping on track. Once I realized things don't change over night I kept it up. I'm on a 92 day streak now and haven't stopped since I came to that conclusion.

I didn't think so. I mean my only goal at this point is to track, everything. It just seems like an overwhelming task. I feel like if I miss something or feel embarrassed about what I eat then I stop tracking. I mean weight loss would be nice, but it seems like maybe it is hard to make tracking my food a priority with school and work and the kids. Maybe I need a new approach
  • Phoenix150
    Options
    Hi :) maybe you need friends to stay motivated. I have done the same thing so many times. But i have noticed a difference with extra friend support. You can add me if you like?

Hey, yeah quite possibly. Friend request sent.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Krystyn150 wrote: »

I didn't think so. I mean my only goal at this point is to track, everything. It just seems like an overwhelming task. I feel like if I miss something or feel embarrassed about what I eat then I stop tracking. I mean weight loss would be nice, but it seems like maybe it is hard to make tracking my food a priority with school and work and the kids. Maybe I need a new approach

If you have trouble logging your food, then don't log it. The problem then becomes how do you know how much you're eating and if you're eating less than you're burning so you can lose weight. What other method would you use instead?
  • JRoss1225
    JRoss1225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for more friends on here. There's a woman who added me who has logged in for over 40 days and is doing great. It's easier to stay motivated when you see other people getting results.

I also know how you feel about being embarrassed by what you eat. If you don't want people to see, then you can turn off the option to share your diary. I have started making myself input those embarrassing days because I felt like I was overlooking too much. It's YOUR journey, so go about it how you want to! I'm going to add you all and hopefully we can motivate each other! At least for 2 weeks :)
  • alyssalaurenniem
    Options
    They also say that it takes 3 days to break a habit and 3 weeks (21 days) to make one. I'm super bad at it, so I usually assume it takes me a month to make a good habit stick. Having friends to help you with accountability can certainly make all the difference!
  • Phoenix150
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Krystyn150 wrote: »

If you have trouble logging your food, then don't log it. The problem then becomes how do you know how much you're eating and if you're eating less than you're burning so you can lose weight. What other method would you use instead?

I don't know that like a double edged sword. I made my goal taking just so I can keep track of how much I am eating, maybe I just need a new approach to how I view tracking. I mean its not the number of calories I eat. And its a habit that needs to be changed. Maybe I just need to let go and own what I eat. Get rid of the pressure..
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If you're embarrassed about what you are logging, make your diary private. Then you can be honest with yourself without worrying about other people judging you.

You can do this. Take baby steps toward your goal, and logging everything is a perfect baby step.
  • Phoenix150
    Options
    If you're embarrassed about what you are logging, make your diary private. Then you can be honest with yourself without worrying about other people judging you.

You can do this. Take baby steps toward your goal, and logging everything is a perfect baby step.

That's the thing, I'm not embarrassed about other people seeing what I eat, I could care less. I am embarrassed for myself for having eaten what I did. I guess that's my own brand of self sabatoge
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I felt like that at first, also, especially being embarrassed about what I ate, but as long as you keep your diary private, no one will see that but you, so you have no reason to be embarrassed. You don't have to let anyone else see it, just like a private diary (Dear Diary style..). If you get comfortable sharing it with friends sometime down the road, that can be a great thing, as I've found, but at first I didn't let ANYONE see my food choices. Also, it's okay to just start with baby steps. Focusing just on logging your food without any other expectations is a great place to start, and to make it a little easier, you could even just start with the "Quick Add Calories" option, which is a little quicker and easier than logging specific foods with their full nutrition panel. Then eventually work up to logging the full nutrition.

Also, maybe give yourself 2-week goals to give you something new to focus on every 2 weeks, so you don't get burned out?
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What is your motivation? What is your goal? What is your plan? It sounds like you're wandering aimlessly and happen across the 'calorie counting' path every now and then when it suits your fancy. Set specific goals (lose X amount of weight by Y date) and then subdivide that goal (Lose X amount of weight by the end of the week). Plan your meals, use a food scale so you know you're eating as close to possible what you planned. Allow for some wiggle room.

Set fitness goals. I set distance or calorie burn goals, mostly. Remember to mix cardio and strength training.

Drink lots of water, make sure the scale isn't the only thing you're gauging. Take measurements, take photos, record your workouts (as detailed as possible).

Take note of moments of triumph. If you can wear a smaller shirt, can run/walk farther in the same amount of time, if the scale goes down, if you say no to that cookie or extra helping at dinner, etc., make a note of it so you can remember it if you happen to stumble.

Don't let moments of weakness derail your success. If you have a day where you don't meet your calorie goal, don't go punching out the other three tires on your car because one went flat.

Use your successes as motivation to keep going. This is a momentum game. Changing behavior is hard, so it's important to remember successful moments when you feel like going back to the old ways of doing things.

You have the ability to change. You just need to find a strong enough reason that nothing else takes priority for long, if it does at all.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Something needs to change in your thinking. I don't mean that as an attack - but if what you've done in the past doesn't work, then doing it again still won't work.

For me this was 2 things:

1. A big part of my problem was in how inactive I was. I was lazy. Once I figured this out, it became a choice. I choose to be active. I'm now at maintenance and if I did not make an effort to be active on a daily basis, I'd maybe burn 1500-1600 a day. So my options are a) be active/move more to burn more calories and be healthy or b) eat 1500-1600 for life or c) gain weight. I choose the first option.

2. Thinking of food/calories like a budget. That budget mostly needs to cover needs (protein, veggies, etc.) but there is some room for wants. This way I have balance.

My 'issues' may not apply to you. Try to determine your own issues, and use that information to change your focus, goals, thinking.

Ps-after many false starts I lost ~55 pounds between 12-25-13 and 10-11-14. Now approaching 4 months of maintenance. Today is my 365 day mark on MFP. I use the website when I'm at a computer, and phone app otherwise. Love the phone app!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, you just have to do it. It's a task, it's a bore, and it's one more thing you have to do out of your day, but that's what you have to do. It's like brushing your teeth or doing a chore - you just do it and get it out of the way.

Once you get used to doing it, it's not a big deal, and it doesn't take any time at all, because if you're like me, you eat a lot of the same things and they'll already be in your diary - it's the getting there that's the hard part.

But like all things in life, not everything is fun - you just do it.
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    You have the right idea about looking at it differently than you have been. Tracking is about doing something for yourself that will give you a greater chance of reaching your goals. No need to feel embarrassed by anything you enter. It happens. The difference between tracking vs. not tracking is that if you eat too many calories and track them, you are aware and making yourself accountable so you are more likely to make some changes. When eating too many calories & not tracking, you're more likely to just keep doing the same thing.

I was happy to read in your OP that even though you stopped for a while, you started up again. It's normal in the beginning to falter here and there, the important thing is to get back up if you fall. It sounds to me like you have it in you to do this. Perhaps a different perspective on things can help you knock it out of the park.
  • amyj000
    amyj000 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    JRoss1225 wrote: »
    I'm looking for more friends on here. There's a woman who added me who has logged in for over 40 days and is doing great. It's easier to stay motivated when you see other people getting results.

I also know how you feel about being embarrassed by what you eat. If you don't want people to see, then you can turn off the option to share your diary. I have started making myself input those embarrassing days because I felt like I was overlooking too much. It's YOUR journey, so go about it how you want to! I'm going to add you all and hopefully we can motivate each other! At least for 2 weeks :)

Yes. The embarrassing food days are hard. But, like they say, what you put in your mouth shows on the outside. I'm forcing myself to track those days. I can't change what I can't see.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Currently at that stage too. Made it about 12 days working out and eating healthy but last weekend my boyfriend came into town and I didn't want to worry about tracking especially when I knew I wasn't going to be eating all that well.

Also I planned to start back Monday working out and eating healthy, I did start eating better but I've been reluctant to workout. I have not worked out at all since Saturday night and my body feels almost "loose" if that makes sense... probably not, but its really bugging me so I am definitely making it a priority to go to the gym and workout as hard as possible tonight.

I understand where you are coming from with logging be embarrassing at times when you aren't eating well but it really is a great feeling for me to be able to look through my entry for the day and see that I stuck to healthy foods. Loggings really worth it and not all that time consuming, just do it after every meal, it takes at most 2 minutes.