Better to train fatigued or not to train at all?

Options
Moving my rest day from today to tomorrow (lift 4 times a week but started running too - will move tomorrow's lifting session to today and run tomorrow). Absolutely exhausted. Is it better to train fatigued or not to train at all? Surely something is better than nothing? Alternatively tomorrow I could lift in the morning and run at night but that's a long day for me....

Replies

• AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Take a day rest

I would
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AntonioP23 wrote: »
    Take a day rest

I would

This
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as over-training. If you are utterly fatigued, how well do you think your lifting or running session will be? Wouldn't it just be better to take the day of rest and hit it all the harder the next day?

Also, just make sure that it is truly fatigue (lack of sleep one night, or over trained the day before, etc.) and not a lazy day (we've all had those). Sometimes taking a multiple day break once every 3 months, helps by leaps and bounds in the lifting department. I usually set new PR's after taking breaks from sickness or vacation, etc. Sometimes your body just needs a little break. Just make sure it isn't an overly extended one. :D Good luck and feel better!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you're that exhausted I would take the rest day, or do something VERY low key, like go for a long walk.
  • fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    It's just TOM fatigue. I have a pretty rotten time of if but I can't give myself extra rest days every month....
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Then be low key...i.e. walk, jog, just do some cardio, etc. No biggie to cut weights for 3-5 days, just move. You'll feel better if you move than if you don't especially due to TOM.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If I'm just sleepy, I usually try to power through it because I'll feel better if I work out. If my body is truly fatigued it's only going to make me feel worse if I push through it. I made that mistake this weekend. I felt sick the rest of the day, still felt weak the next day, then caught a cold... perhaps completely unrelated, but I know I seem more susceptible to illness when I allow myself to get run down.

Listen to your body. If you're tired, do something easier than usual. If your body is literally fatigued where it feels like a work out just doing chores around the house, rest.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I used to do 5x week cardio and strength training. I felt it was too much because I was keeping my workouts intense. I felt that it would be better to do 4x a week for both and have an extra rest day. It really helped me and is sustainable. I never go more than 2 days without a rest day. I workout on M, T, Th, Fr. I will probably move it to T, Th, Sa, Su when it gets warmer. I haven't changed my workouts because of TOM or just being tired. It truly has to be fatique where I think I could injure myself or feel weak. Even when I'm a little sleepy or tired, cardio usually wakes me up and I wind up having really great workouts. Just my experience.

Good luck.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Why are you exhausted? Take a rest day. If you are regularly exhausted like this then you're probably in need of a longer break, not eating enough, not sleeping enough, and/or should talk to your doctor.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When you're fatigued you're more than likely to not use proper form and technique at some point in your workout. You could cause injury to yourself which would set you back even more than what it would from taking a day off.

That weight you're lifting in your profile pic looks heavy and like it would hurt if you lost your balance and dropped it on your head because you were exhausted.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Do something completely different maybe - if you are fatigued and pushing yourself, you risk injury. And yes I agree with the others in this post who say basically to get to the bottom of your fatigue and fix that. Good luck.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga as my "rest day". It's much more low key and actually helps the soreness.
  • Crossfitjessi
    Options
    Take a resting day, or spend your lifting day, working on form. If you train with a trainer, use that time to have her/him give you tips about your technique. work with a PVC or empty barbell and the same capacity you would work with the loaded barbell. Active recovery..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just saw a sports physiotherapist yesterday so it's been drilled in to me again. Rest is as important as the exercise! Let your poor body catch up. My physiotherapist has instructed me to rearrange my run/rest days so that Zumba is a full 24 hours after my last run.