Mindful Eating vice Calorie Counting

Options
I need help! I am 40lbs overweight. I work out 5 days a week (for real ;) love working out actually.... my nutrition is holding me back because well..I just eat to darn much even though I try not to..I am an emotional eater.
I HATE HATE HATE being a slave to calorie counting...it somewhat makes me more food obsessed. I am keen on mindful eating (listening to your body tell you when you are hungry, stopping BEFORE you are stuffed to the gills) I have been trying that lately but guess what?? that too is not working. I think maybe due to years of trying to lose weight my poor body and mind are completely confused as to what normal is ya know...what is real hunger, what does it feel like to not stuff your face to the brim? So my question is....can one do both you think? CC and eating mindfully? I am ready to lose weight, SO ready. The motivation is there just which tactic to take? I don't want to become calorie obsessed in live in a calorie jail my whole life freaking out about how many calories are in a pickle but not sure if mindful eating works with someone who has had such a problem with emotional overeating..thoughts???
TIA

Replies

• hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me that your body can send you hunger signals but you should not always listen if you are overweight ... there is only exercise and counting calories in my opinion
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Definitely calorie counting is the way to go, in my opinion. I have convinced myself many times (usually after logging for a fair old while) that I no longer need to and can just be mindful. It has never worked for me. I am overweight as I make poor choices when it comes to portion size and emotionally over eat and the only way for me to counter that is weighing and logging it all.

Everyone is different, but all I know is the most successful people on this website did it by consistently logging (even when maintaining). So I think that says a lot.

The great thing about it though is that often you find your TDEE isn't that bad. When I used to calorie count, I was trying to do 1200 a day and it was hell. But that's not surprising since that's about a 1000 calorie deficit for me. Realistically, I can lose easily on 1650 a day. It's really not so bad. Do you know what your TDEE is? If not, you might be pleasantly surprised and not feel like you are being a slave to it at all.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say, but if your hunger signals are messed up because you're an emotional overeater, the only way to overcome that without professional help is with using a tool like calorie counting to accurately assess your intake.

You could try changing your self-talk about counting calories, though. This website is a remarkable piece of assistive technology that will allow you to take control of a part of your life that is currently out of your control. Isn't that amazing? And it's free!

It's not jail. It's a tool. A logging tool, to help you face the reality of what you're doing to your body so that you can develop better habits.

Just start with logging your current intake without a mind to cutting any calories. You'll see for yourself what that intake is doing and the big picture might become clearer.

Best of luck to you.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Sure - primarily I calorie count, but I do pay attention to hunger and satiety. I use it to guide my patterns of eating (I have figured out how big a breakfast, lunch, and dinner I need so that I don't get too hungry between meals, and then I will have a couple of snacks each day when hungry).

I used to hate the idea of calorie counting, but now I really like it. It allows me to be MORE flexible with my eating while being confident that I'll lose weight.
  • vegbear
    vegbear Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mamapeach! Yes totally can change my self talk....a tool not jail..totally get that! Thanks for that..
    and LOL heerspoons..I am beginning to see that point all too well! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think a structured troubleshooting method will help you disentangle what is working from what is not. I agree @mamapeach910 that you will likely have to start by calorie counting (more importantly accurately portioning) to get an idea what an appropriate meal looks like. Then you can practice the mindfulness techniques as you slowly and thoroughly enjoy your meal. Here's what I've learned about habit change:
    1. If what I am doing isn't working, change it up.
    2. Guilt and beating myself up are wasted emotions. If I can't love myself through this, who is going to stick up for me, failings and all?
    3. Learn to troubleshoot, set weekly goals and re-evaluate (guilt-free change management) from the Stanford University Chronic Disease Self Management Course
    4. Lifestyle change (the only weight loss and management that works) is habit change.
    5. Habit change is gradual, almost invisible.
    6. Do what I enjoy, so I look forward to every day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/it-s-all-about-habit-change-715479
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating got me to 188lbs. And before that to 195lbs.

If tracking isn't working for you the way you are doing it now, figure out what aspects aren't working. For me it was being too strict (3 meals a day, eat 600-700 cals each meal, eat low carb breakfast, count cals from macros, protein goal too high), and once I chilled out it stopped stressing me out.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I need to at least keep an eye on calories, or I would 'mindfully eat' ALL THE pizza, chocolate, pastries, pies, ribs, chips, burgers, ice cream, dried fruit, nuts, bananas, milkshakes, cheese, bread, curry, pasta, biscuits, crisps, hummus, donuts, milky coffee etc. etc.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Mindful eating got me to 188lbs. And before that to 195lbs.

If tracking isn't working for you the way you are doing it now, figure out what aspects aren't working. For me it was being too strict (3 meals a day, eat 600-700 cals each meal, eat low carb breakfast, count cals from macros, protein goal too high), and once I chilled out it stopped stressing me out.

+1 Stop stressing...be honest and take a look at your eating for a week. Don't even look at the calories for that first week or so, just be honest though. Then start with small steps and goals to make a permanent change. Can you start cutting sweets? Can you eat more veggies? Can you up the protein intake here and there? Things like this. Start taking small steps toward the bigger picture and maybe this time it won't stress you out.

If you are too strict, it won't be a permanent change and you will feel like you're in CC jail. Make lifestyle modifications one step at a time that are sustainable in the long run and you'll see the weight come down eventually. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    The difference between the two:

Mindful eating...................lots of people think they don't eat bad and can't figure out why they are overweight.

Calorie counting..................people actually find out how much they are really eating and concede they now know why they are overweight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting can teach you to be mindful and is an eye opener...as ninerbuff pointed out, a lot of people think they're eating pretty good but they're really not...that was me...I ate a lot of healthful foods, but I also ate a lot in general...thus I just packed on the weight.

Calorie counting taught me not only to be more mindful of exactly what I'm eating and my nutrition, but also mindful of appropriate quantities. I logged faithfully for 9 months while I dropped 40 Lbs and then briefly in maintenance just to familiarize myself with that level of intake and what it looked like. Save for a spot check here and there, I haven't logged in over a year and a half and have successfully maintained my weight more or less and even dropped some weight when I needed to. This was a learned thing though and calorie counting was a very valuable tool for me to learn...it was my training wheels and now I can just go out and ride.

All that said, if you have emotional issues with food I think you're going to have a difficult time just practicing "mindful eating"...you have a whole other thing going on there to contend with.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I do both at the moment. However, as people have mentioned above, if you don't have your emotional eating under control, 'mindful eating' doesn't really exist. I started with calorie counting alone, and it definitely helped me with my emotional eating. I would suggest calorie counting and experimenting with what you eat and when.

Everyone has a different eating style that works for them. I discovered eating a small breakfast (high fiber), with small snacks throughout the day (no lunch), and a good sized dinner (~50% of my daily calories) is what works for me most days. But this took time to figure out. Don't give up! Find out what works for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Calorie counting can teach you to be mindful and is an eye opener...as ninerbuff pointed out, a lot of people think they're eating pretty good but they're really not...that was me...I ate a lot of healthful foods, but I also ate a lot in general...thus I just packed on the weight.

Calorie counting taught me not only to be more mindful of exactly what I'm eating and my nutrition, but also mindful of appropriate quantities. I logged faithfully for 9 months while I dropped 40 Lbs and then briefly in maintenance just to familiarize myself with that level of intake and what it looked like. Save for a spot check here and there, I haven't logged in over a year and a half and have successfully maintained my weight more or less and even dropped some weight when I needed to. This was a learned thing though and calorie counting was a very valuable tool for me to learn...it was my training wheels and now I can just go out and ride.

All that said, if you have emotional issues with food I think you're going to have a difficult time just practicing "mindful eating"...you have a whole other thing going on there to contend with.
    As per usual, I agree.
  • vegbear
    vegbear Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I agree....though I guess i was hesitant to internalize it. Due to the fact that I do often eat out of emotion...I need something more concrete until I resolve my issues with food (which I am working on) will give CC another go and work on nutrition!
  • acquilla30
    acquilla30 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For me its when I stopped counting calories that I lost weight. I obsessed over every calorie and when the weight loss came to a halt, I quit. Then I slowly made changes like smaller portion sizes and than added exercise and I have successfully lost 86lbs over the last 7 months. Now that I am close to my goal weight, it is harder to lose weight and I am hypothyroid, so I am considering starting to track my calories.
    You have to find what works what's best for you and stick with it. A lot of people have found success with calorie counting and you don't have to do it forever. It can give you tools to know portion sizes and help with decreasing your appetite over time.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. I logged for awhile, familiarized myself with portion sizes and how much my body needs, and quit counting. I lost weight not counting, and have maintained for the past couple of years without counting. That being said, I don't do this by paying attention to hunger signals. I do read labels and think about calories. I just seem to have a knack at estimating when enough is enough.
  • krystalrhillage
    krystalrhillage Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    literally, if there is junk food in the house THROW IT AWAY! I will always think about what's in the cabinet and try to go to that before anything else...Do I love carrots and hummus? YES! But will I reach for sweets if they're in the house first? Absolutely. I do not keep junk in the house. The only junk is what my boyfriend takes for his lunches. I tell myself that it's his food and he puts it out of my reach. Also, before I eat, I try to think, will this benefit me in any way? Chips, no they won't...Peanut butter on an apple, yes it will. I CAN be an emotional eater or an emotional non eater. Went through a ton of stress this summer and ate my feelings and it showed. If I don't calorie count, I will binge. Also, maybe drink water before a meal to fill you up. Don't get me wrong, my cheat meals are still something fierce and I am going to have to cut them out for a while, but it's only one meal one day a week. And I try to make changes in stages. Example- beginning of the year, I started measure literally every carb that passed my lips. And even cut them out at night for the most part (except veggies).... Now I am trying to cut down on sugar and sodium and cheat meals.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Great thread. Great advice. Bump.
    FWIW, I think mindfulness is lovely but it doesn't work on its own. For me. CC does.
    Also agree with I_Will--even when I'm not weighing and counting, I'm estimating and calculating. Unlike I_Will, however, my weight creeps up when I do that.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The number of people who make the assumption that calorie counting is the only method of regulating calorie intake is baffling to me.

Calorie counting is a great awareness tool that works really for some people. Most people should do it for at least the short term while they also build on better food habits.

If you do not like calorie counting you should strive to develop habits around food that allow you to not have to track calories. But this is not the same thing as "just eating mindfully".

You may need to learn better food selection habits. You may need to keep to a specific meal distribution, you may need to limit snacking, you may need to spend time re-learning hunger signals, you may need to develop better environmental management about food, you may need to seek assistance with this.

But it is absolutely not true to claim that calorie counting is the only way and it's equally absurd to suggest that you must calorie count or you will fail.

You simply have not yet acquired the necessary habits you need to succeed.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Just start with logging your current intake without a mind to cutting any calories. You'll see for yourself what that intake is doing and the big picture might become clearer.

This is almost word-for-word what I was going to say. Be "mindful" with your eating. But then be sure to log it - just so you can see what your intake is. Figure out where you can cut Calories without feeling like you're missing anything. Then, you can hopefully see how much you can eat and lose weight. After a while, you may* be able to get into a routine where you're eating many of the same things and can intuitively "know" how much to eat - without logging.

* It doesn't work for everyone. As such, don't go too long before checking in with your weight to see if you're still on track. If not, then go back to Calorie counting.