Feeling faint!! Not enough sugar??

Options
124»

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    My goal fitness pal set is 1690. I have only eaten 592 calories and have burned 542 today. Maybe that's why.

That's absolutely why.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It might pay to pick up a home blood pressure tester. As I started to lose significant weight, I would get dizzy or the "wobblies". Some of it was due to low blood sugar. I started to carry glucose tabs with me. Some of it was due to low blood pressure, so I negotiated a reduction then removal of blood pressure meds. To successfully get off the blood pressure meds, I tracked my blood pressure for months. I still check once a week.

It is important to fuel a workout. It doesn't have to be a large snack; maybe 100-200 calories, but have something about an hour before and right after. It can be a carb snack because it hits your system faster. Try a carbohydrate instead of a sugar for more sustained burn.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Just eating sugar, like a candy bar, is like pouring lighter fluid on the fire. You want to eat something that will hold you with balanced nutrition. Protein will also raise your blood sugar and hold you longer. A good snack would be nuts or some roasted chicken breast.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It might pay to pick up a home blood pressure tester. As I started to lose significant weight, I would get dizzy or the "wobblies". Some of it was due to low blood sugar. I started to carry glucose tabs with me. Some of it was due to low blood pressure, so I negotiated a reduction then removal of blood pressure meds. To successfully get off the blood pressure meds, I tracked my blood pressure for months. I still check once a week.

It is important to fuel a workout. It doesn't have to be a large snack; maybe 100-200 calories, but have something about an hour before and right after. It can be a carb snack because it hits your system faster. Try a carbohydrate instead of a sugar for more sustained burn.

If you are eating a decent diet, you do not need to fuel or refuel for 1/2 hour of exercise. The 100-200 calories before and after being suggested will more that negate the calories burned during 30 minutes of exercise.
  • Thanks everyone. I felt dizzy again today and I ate much more. I've tried to eat a snack in between meals. I really appreciate all the input
  • danigoodloe
    danigoodloe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try to eat smaller during the day because out dinner meals seem to be higher in calories. I'll go eat a snack!! Lol. I didn't even think to look at what I have eaten today. I'm just trying not to eat much. Before I started my diet I was eating terribly.

You NEED to be eating 5-6 small meals a day. The human body is not made to operate on 3 meals alone. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, then another snack if you are hungry as long as it's before 9pm. I have one apple with 3-4TBSP of peanut butter almost every night. It's healthy and yummy. Great dessert replacement and keeps me from overeating at dinner because I know I'll have a snack later. Also, try drinking a FULL glass of water before your main meals to keep yourself from overeating (if that's a problem for you).

Good luck & keep up the good work! :)
  • tamelamcmurray
    tamelamcmurray Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat and make sure you have enough protein. Stay well hydrated too and watch for low blood sugar levels.
  • Packerjohn
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I try to eat smaller during the day because out dinner meals seem to be higher in calories. I'll go eat a snack!! Lol. I didn't even think to look at what I have eaten today. I'm just trying not to eat much. Before I started my diet I was eating terribly.
    I have one apple with 3-4TBSP of peanut butter almost every night. It's healthy and yummy.

4 tablespoons of peanut butter and an apple is pushing 500 calories. IMO, not a real appropriate daily "snack" for someone trying to lose weight.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have one apple with 3-4TBSP of peanut butter almost every night. It's healthy and yummy.

4 tablespoons of peanut butter and an apple is pushing 500 calories. IMO, not a real appropriate "snack" for someone trying to lose weight.

Maybe for you. Maybe this fits some people's calorie goals for weight loss. Don't knock something just because it doesn't fit for you.
  • Packerjohn
    edited February 2015
    Options

4 tablespoons of peanut butter and an apple is pushing 500 calories. IMO, not a real appropriate "snack" for someone trying to lose weight.

Maybe for you. Maybe this fits some people's calorie goals for weight loss. Don't knock something just because it doesn't fit for you.

I was responding to a suggestion given to the OP by another reader. The OP's profile says she wants to lose 98 pounds. IMO, not an appropriate "snack" for her.
  • I try to eat smaller during the day because out dinner meals seem to be higher in calories. I'll go eat a snack!! Lol. I didn't even think to look at what I have eaten today. I'm just trying not to eat much. Before I started my diet I was eating terribly.

You NEED to be eating 5-6 small meals a day. The human body is not made to operate on 3 meals alone. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, then another snack if you are hungry as long as it's before 9pm. I have one apple with 3-4TBSP of peanut butter almost every night. It's healthy and yummy. Great dessert replacement and keeps me from overeating at dinner because I know I'll have a snack later. Also, try drinking a FULL glass of water before your main meals to keep yourself from overeating (if that's a problem for you).

Thanks I have been drinking water before meals. It does help. And I'm not eating no where near what I did before diet. I do eat a small snack between meals now :)
  • Eat and make sure you have enough protein. Stay well hydrated too and watch for low blood sugar levels.

How do I watch for low blood sugar levels?
  • Packerjohn wrote: »

I was responding to a suggestion given to the OP by another reader. The OP's profile says she wants to lose 98 pounds. IMO, not an appropriate "snack" for her.

I'm not a huge fan if peanut butter but will eat it. However I am trying to lose 100lbs so I try to pick other snacks such as banana maybe even a few ham slices. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I'm not a huge fan if peanut butter but will eat it. However I am trying to lose 100lbs so I try to pick other snacks such as banana maybe even a few ham slices. :)

I lost 121 pounds eating peanut butter most every day!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @bradleygirlinspirations‌, have you ever tested your blood sugar? Are you type 2 yet or just suspect it? If you are suspicious, get your doctor to order an A1C test. Diabetics test their blood sugar two hours after eating using a glucometer. You might get a pharmacist to demonstrate for you just to see what your numbers are.

@packerjohn, the advice to eat just before an exercise routine and afterwards came from a dietitian class I attended that was designed for runners. Runners don't want to deplete their glycogen stores halfway through their run. That dizziness and the "wobblies" may be from not enough available glucose. I might be wrong, but I was pretty sure the OP wants to get to the bottom of her dizzy spells. So what if she negates the calorie burn of her exercise routine? She still gets the benefits of exercise and she can still eat at a deficit overall for the day.

Symptoms of low blood sugar.

Symptoms of low blood pressure.
  • Ok yea I have been tested for diabetes end of last year and everything was normal
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    @bradleygirlinspirations‌,

@packerjohn, the advice to eat just before an exercise routine and afterwards came from a dietitian class I attended that was designed for runners. Runners don't want to deplete their glycogen stores halfway through their run. That dizziness and the "wobblies" may be from not enough available glucose. I might be wrong, but I was pretty sure the OP wants to get to the bottom of her dizzy spells. So what if she negates the calorie burn of her exercise routine? She still gets the benefits of exercise and she can still eat at a deficit overall for the day.

I've been a runner for 40+ years including completing several marathons, have attended numerous presentations and read extensively on sports nutrition and mentor a beginner running group with our local running club. The information regarding depleting glucose is correct, however, healthy individuals have enough glucose stores to complete an hour + of exercise without the need to fuel before and after.

I would infer the OP is new to her diet, most likely making a substantial change in caloric input and adding some exercise to a sedentary lifestyle. I would suggest she determine an appropriate caloric intake to produce a deficit of 3500-7000 calories (1-2 pounds a week) factoring in base activity and calories associated with any increased activity she is including in her life. I would spread those calories over the day. If some of those calories are just before or just after the exercise, fine, but you don't need specific fueling/refueling for a 30 minute exercise session.

Also, if very new to any form of exercise, perhaps it would be beneficial to spread it over the day, i.e., instead of 30 minutes on one session on an elliptical, try 3-10 minute sessions until getting accustomed to exercise.
  • Packerjohn wrote: »
    @bradleygirlinspirations‌,

I've been a runner for 40+ years including completing several marathons, have attended numerous presentations and read extensively on sports nutrition and mentor a beginner running group with our local running club. The information regarding depleting glucose is correct, however, healthy individuals have enough glucose stores to complete an hour + of exercise without the need to fuel before and after.

I would infer the OP is new to her diet, most likely making a substantial change in caloric input and adding some exercise to a sedentary lifestyle. I would suggest she determine an appropriate caloric intake to produce a deficit of 3500-7000 calories (1-2 pounds a week) factoring in base activity and calories associated with any increased activity she is including in her life. I would spread those calories over the day. If some of those calories are just before or just after the exercise, fine, but you don't need specific fueling/refueling for a 30 minute exercise session.

Also, if very new to any form of exercise, perhaps it would be beneficial to spread it over the day, i.e., instead of 30 minutes on one session on an elliptical, try 3-10 minute sessions until getting accustomed to exercise.

Yes I've made drastic changes in eating and have started dough 30mins 5xs and week on elliptical. A few years ago I would do atleast an hour but I'm slowly working my way there. I'm trying hard not to be super obsessive but I've changed everything!!