Getting Fit BEFORE Pregnancy

Options
Hello all! This, for me and many others, is about living a healthy lifestyle. I am currently a mommy to one, but am looking to increase my family. I want to be in the best shape possible to house another little one...afterall, I would be responsible for it's home for 9 crucial months. Looking to give it a great start. All support and positive comments welcomed and given. I am 30 pounds heavier than what I was the first time. I need to be healthy for ALL of my family. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am also planning on having our second child sometime this year. I gained 60 pounds with my first pregnancy, I weighed 220 at 40 weeks! Then within a year I had lost all 60 pounds and now I am an additional 12 pounds lighter. I am still trying to get more fit before my next pregnancy and stay fit too! I love MFP, it is such a useful tool and a way to connect with other people dealing with the same goals! Good luck with everything
  • briannetrujillo
    briannetrujillo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are actively trying to add a little one to our family. It will be our first. I'm definitely no where near where I want to be but I'm trying to be as healthy as I can be. On my wedding day Nov 2012 I was 148 and by May 2014 I was at 198. I just gave up! All of 2014 I yo-yo'd the same 15 lbs. My goal was to get the weight off to be healthy and to have a baby but something just wasn't clicking last year. Starting the beginning of this year I was determined to get it done this time. As of the beginning of the year I gotten off 10 lbs. of those stubborn 15lbs. I'm currently at 183 and change. My overall goal weight is 135-150 (see how I feel and look). Ideally I'd like to have gotten more weight off in my past attempts but it hasn't stopped us from trying since last year. Sometimes I wonder if my weight gain is a factor in why it's taking a little while to get pregnant? I figure a healthy diet and sensible workout program will keep us healthy throughout the pregnancy when it finally does happen.

So I suppose I'm trying before will continue while and look forward to continuing afterwards to be a good role model for our child. I wish you luck in your journeys.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Getting fit for pregnancy and beyond is my main motivation. I've not had any children yet, but I hope the fitter and closer I get to a healthy weight beforehand, the easier on myself it will be. I already feel better for it just in my every-day routine.
  • meagankrkr
    meagankrkr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal. I always told myself, before I got pregnant with my daughter, that I'd be thinner and healthier first. That didn't happen, and I had gestational diabetes. I don't want any of that! A year later and I am still trying to lose that last 10 lbs I gained while pregnant!!
  • jessyroos
    jessyroos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am only a few months away from trying for babe number two, and it's my goal to be as healthy and fit as possible before then and during this upcoming pregnancy.

I did a pretty good job during of gaining a healthy amount of weight the first time around, and was reasonably fit, but having a baby and the struggle to get back to being active was a real shock to my system. I know now that the best thing for me and my potential baby is for me to be as healthy as possible and maintain my fitness during a pregnancy.

I am happy with the number on the scale, but am weaning from breastfeeding and want to make sure that doesn't result in a big gain. I also want to make a habit of exercising and doing some weight training or body weight exercises for strength.
  • jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    jessyroos wrote: »
    I am only a few months away from trying for babe number two, and it's my goal to be as healthy and fit as possible before then and during this upcoming pregnancy.

I did a pretty good job during of gaining a healthy amount of weight the first time around, and was reasonably fit, but having a baby and the struggle to get back to being active was a real shock to my system. I know now that the best thing for me and my potential baby is for me to be as healthy as possible and maintain my fitness during a pregnancy.

I am happy with the number on the scale, but am weaning from breastfeeding and want to make sure that doesn't result in a big gain. I also want to make a habit of exercising and doing some weight training or body weight exercises for strength.

I'm in the same boat as you. My husband and I plan to start trying for baby number 2 in 3 weeks! I gained quite a bit the first time though, 55 pounds. So this time I have focused on running and weight training. I think I have the habits down pretty good so I should be able to do both through out the pregnancy. This time I will be ready for the morning sickness (which stopped me running last time and broke my good habits).

For everyone here do you plan on using MFP while pregnant and if so how? I was thinking that I would figure out my maintenance calories and eat at that for the first trimester, I believe after that you want to gain about a pound a week and I heard that you only need to add about 300 calories to your diet. So that's what I was thinking of doing but I'm not sure if that is right.
  • CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, was around 150 when I got pregnant (I'm 5'1 so already about 20 pounds over weight) 191 when my son was born, I'm at 155 now (my son just turned 2) but would like to get down to 135-140 before we start trying to get pregnant in the 6 months to a year. I dropped what I gained with him mostly from diet and running. I'm just now delving into some weight training but hoping it helps with the last 20 pounds or so. You are welcome to add me if you'd like! I'm always looking for friends to help motivate and to motivate me :)
  • msbcz5
    msbcz5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 20 lbs weight up to 177 need to be at about 160 its easier to conceive when your smaller
  • marjeeh
    Options
    For those moms and even soon to be moms..I have yet to have my first baby buty goal is to lose weight so I don't gain so much weight while being pregnant. I know all our bodies are different and we all have different ways of dealing with pregnancy. So I would like to know what would be the best way to maintain the weight or Atleast gaining the good amount of weight during pregnancy. Also what foods and exercises to do.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    marjeeh wrote: »
    For those moms and even soon to be moms..I have yet to have my first baby buty goal is to lose weight so I don't gain so much weight while being pregnant. I know all our bodies are different and we all have different ways of dealing with pregnancy. So I would like to know what would be the best way to maintain the weight or Atleast gaining the good amount of weight during pregnancy. Also what foods and exercises to do.

Generally, if you just make good food choices and focus on giving the baby appropriate nutrients, then you should be good.

Your OB/GYN can discuss weight with you when you actually get pregnant. I was at a normal healthy weight with my first pregnancy and ended up gaining close to 50 pounds by the time I was 40 weeks. My doctor was never worried because my bloodwork, glucose test, and blood pressure were never a problem. I was also active throughout that pregnancy, which is a big plus, regardless of how much weight you gain.