The best protein

Options
What is the best protein powder? And pre workout

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Pre workouts are mostly worthless. A cup of coffee will do about the same.

As for protein, it will vary from person to person since it's mostly about taste. I like Optimum Nutrition Strawberry Casein, and get my whey from the Protein Factory (Monster V).

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Agree that it's personal preference. I've tried a lot, and there's a lot of variation even within a single company.

I love Trutein cinnabun and peanut butter marshmallow cookie, which both mix really well with just water and almost end up kind of thick. I'm very meh about their mocha caramel which doesn't mix as well and has an odd flavor (it's better with milk).

Not a fan of the combat cinnamon bun, but it's more doughy flavored and less cinnamon than trutein, and since I'm a cinnamon addict, it's a high bar to surpass. Also decent with milk.

Optimum Nutrition, I hate the graham cracker flavor. I can kind of choke it down with milk but it's awful. The chocolate mint flavor is a lot better, but doesn't mix real well (apparently I have high mixing standards as I have friends who love both flavors). It's decent with water but better with milk.

I would not be opposed to trying other combat flavors (I noticed costco carries the cookies and creme) and I may still experiment at some point. But, I have five huge containers of protein on my counter.

Learn from my mistakes, buy samples if you can or buy as small as you can to try flavors. If you like it, buy the larger containers. It's expensive in the short run, but it sucks having a ton of protein you don't like.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I take IsoPure (when strict dieting), Gold Standard Natural Whey most of the time, and recently Carnivore. Not a huge fan of the taste of Carnivore but I like it as part of my post workout meal.
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know that this is a completely subjective topic, but I'll give my two cents anyway. Best tasting protein (IMO) is trutein by body nutrition. Oh my gosh it's ridiculous how fantastically delicious and ambrosial it is. I highly recommend their cinnamon bun, lemon meringue, chocolate peanut butter, red velvet, and orange creamsicle. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's also a blend of three proteins - egg, casein, and whey, which is nice - I guess....

I do actually find pre-workouts to be great, but again that's just my own preference. On days I take them I do tend to have significantly more energy (I use ENGN by EVL currently). Yea, some people are gonna hate on them, but hey if it helps it helps.

Ok, my two cents have done their job.
  • auddii
    edited February 2015
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    Ok, I know that this is a completely subjective topic, but I'll give my two cents anyway. Best tasting protein (IMO) is trutein by body nutrition. Oh my gosh it's ridiculous how fantastically delicious and ambrosial it is. I highly recommend their cinnamon bun, lemon meringue, chocolate peanut butter, red velvet, and orange creamsicle. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's also a blend of three proteins - egg, casein, and whey, which is nice - I guess....

I do actually find pre-workouts to be great, but again that's just my own preference. On days I take them I do tend to have significantly more energy (I use ENGN by EVL currently). Yea, some people are gonna hate on them, but hey if it helps it helps.

Ok, my two cents have done their job.

I saw they just released a smores flavor. If only I didn't have over 15lbs of protein on the counter...
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like Amplify XL Vanilla from GNC.

I have a couple of friends who love the Quest protein powder (peanut butter specifically).

ETA: I don't use a pre-workout. I've tried a few and all of them make my skin tingle, which I didn't quite enjoy. I also didn't notice much of a difference between workouts where I took the pre-workout and workouts where I didn't take any.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I use the Cellucor Molten chocolate Protein powder. I like the taste. It's 120 calories and 25G of protein. The Mint chocolate chip and red velvet are very good also.

I do take a preworkout, but only because my stomach gets sour if I have coffee very early in the morning. (I'm at the gym at 5am.) I use Cellucor C4 watermelon. Tastes like a jollyrancher
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i prefer to eat my protein and then use the shakes as needed to fill in my day …I go for GNC amp chocolate protein powder….but as others have said it is a matter of personal preference...
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Coffee for pre workout. (At the office I use instant.)

As far as protein, what protein delivers the most grams per servings and the best price per serving per unit. All the other claims about the protein is just marketing.

Oh and taste. Chocolate can't go wrong.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I like Now Sports Whey Isolate (unflavored). Pros: Inexpensive, pure protein, nothing added, no carbs or fat or artificial sweeteners. Cons: Tastes like pure protein with nothing added. Preworkout: banana or yogurt and sometimes a caffeine pill.
  • auddii
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I like Now Sports Whey Isolate (unflavored). Pros: Inexpensive, pure protein, nothing added, no carbs or fat or artificial sweeteners. Cons: Tastes like pure protein with nothing added. Preworkout: banana or yogurt and sometimes a caffeine pill.

Hahaha. I'll take the little bit of artificial stuff to not have to choke down protein...
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I only have coffee with a bit of cream and coconut oil before my workout. Seems to hold me over.... my favorite protein powder to date has been the Body Fortress Whey Isolate. Chocolate and Vanilla are both good.

I get the microfiltered one so it blends in completely. I mix it into my oats/quinoa. I like to "eat" my calories. lol
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you are talkign supliments then check the label and watch for amino spiking. A protein powder with creatine and extra aminos (other than BCAA especially leucine) is going to be filling up the protein listed with cheap aminos that aren't the best for building muscle. Also, stick to whey, casein, egg or meat proteins since they are high in leucine.

For whole foods go with fish, meat and dairy as they are high in protein with plenty of leucine for muscle synthesis.

ETA for bars avoid those with gelatin and collagen listed as they are cheaper protein fillers and not great for building muscle.
  • scorrea2
    scorrea2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use mostly cellucor molten chocolate and use their c4 watermelon on my leg days
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "Best" is going to be a personal preference. I personally like Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate...I get it at Costco for way cheaper than you can get it in the nutrition stores.

You might pay one of those nutrition stores a visit though and see if you can do some sampling before you fork out $50 for a tub of protein. Also realize that protein powders are just a supplement to help you hit your protein goals...if you can do that without supplementing, then there's no need. I only mention it because there seems to be this wave of people who believe there is some magical properties to whey protein or something.

Also for pre-workout I always just have an apple or banana.

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What exactly does pure protein taste like? Chalk?

Yeah pretty much. Quite an acquired taste.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Chalk would be preferable. I had bcaa powder back before they realized that you could actually add flavor. :grimacing:
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Chalk would be preferable. I had bcaa powder back before they realized that you could actually add flavor. :grimacing:

I still have 'plain' BCAA powder and you don't want to know what it tastes like, believe me!