Too much Fat, More Protien

Options
So I have been noticing that I have been over my daily % for Fat, right where I need to be for Carb % and below where I need to be on Protein %

I eat peanut butter almost everyday with breakfast (on whole wheat bread/english muffin) or with a piece of fruit (apple/banana) for a snack because I love it and it has good fats and protein.

Should I not be? Do I have to give it up? I've tried Almond butter...it's just not the same!

Please help..I need MORE PROTEIN AND LESS FAT! Any sugestions would be appreciated.

You can friend me to see my diary :)

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You can eat however much fat/etc you want. Unless you have specific body composition or endurance goals then macros don't really matter for weight loss itself.
  • muse09
    muse09 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter as well! Just make sure you're measuring each portion to prevent overeating, since it's very calorie-dense.

For foods that are high in protein and low in fat, I always turn to turkey breast (25g protein and ~0.5g fat per 100g serving) and fat-free plain Greek yogurt (15-18g protein and no fat per 175g serving). I like to eat fresh or frozen fruits with the plain Greek yogurt instead of buying flavoured ones, because it saves you all that added sugar and artificial flavours!

Hope this helps. :)
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    As long as you burn the calories off, no worries. CICO
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Where are you, calorie-wise? I focus on calories (as a max) and protein (as a minimum.) After that, I don't much care where my fat and carbs end up. I am only very rarely below my fat number, though, because I like full fat yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. It has never caused me any problems.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    If you love peanut butter, you can reduce fat grams somewhere else. Once I started weighing my food, I realized that I am just as happy with 15 g of peanut butter instead of "two tablespoons(31 g)." If you want to increase protein, then concentrate on the foods muse09 recommended.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Basic rule of thumb. 40% of calories from protein. 30% each for fat and carbs. Use the protein and fat as minimums. Once you reach that, you can fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you like. Again, that is a generic baseline and your individual goals may be different, just a starting point.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Definitely what muse said. I just bought my first Greek Yogurt, 17g protein in 8oz (as opposed to 10 in non Greek). I add wheat germ and sliced almonds to it.

I don't worry about fat, I worry about carbs/sugars. If I'm not burning off the carbs and sugars before the end of the day, THAT is what is staying on my body, ugh.

I buy bricks of hard cheese and cut it into 1oz portions, I love sliced turkey, and hard boiled eggs. I don't put foods on bread, I put them on a leaf of Romaine Lettuce. Peanut Butter is a snack by the tablespoon, yes, measured. I do 1 huge salad a day with meat on it, my body needs complex carbs.

On Fruits, berries don't have as much sugar as other fruits, so I add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of blackberries, raspberries, or blueberries to yogurt. It's only 15 to 32 calories at the most.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Basic rule of thumb. 40% of calories from protein. 30% each for fat and carbs.

Since when? That's a "rule" that applies to very few people, in my experience, and doesn't have any scientific basis. Suspect that was just made up out of thin air.
    Aresende90 wrote: »
    I eat peanut butter almost everyday with breakfast (on whole wheat bread/english muffin) or with a piece of fruit (apple/banana) for a snack because I love it and it has good fats and protein.

Should I not be? Do I have to give it up? I've tried Almond butter...it's just not the same!

Peanut butter, almond butter, etc. are all good sources of healthy fat. There's nothing wrong with eating them if they fit into your diet. But they're things you eat to get more fat. Although though they contain small amounts of protein they're not really efficient sources of protein.

You can get more protein by eating lean meats (chicken or turkey breast, lean cuts of beef, etc.), dairy products (lowfat milk, lowfat cheese and fat-free or lowfat Greek yogurt are great sources), vegetable sources of protein like beans or legumes or soy/tofu, etc.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Basic rule of thumb. 40% of calories from protein. 30% each for fat and carbs. Use the protein and fat as minimums. Once you reach that, you can fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you like. Again, that is a generic baseline and your individual goals may be different, just a starting point.

Not necessary to eat 40% of your calories from protein. It's advisable to not set your intake based on calorie percentages either. Why would my protein needs change if I'm eating 1800 calories versus my current 2200? So why would I need to eat 180g (which is way waaaay more than I need ever) at 1800 calories or 220g of protein at 2200 calories (which is like, almost double what I eat now)? Especially if I weigh the same eating both cal numbers?

Much more reasonable to base macro goals on your weight - lbm or lbs/kg.
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Definitely what muse said. I just bought my first Greek Yogurt, 17g protein in 8oz (as opposed to 10 in non Greek). I add wheat germ and sliced almonds to it.

I don't worry about fat, I worry about carbs/sugars. If I'm not burning off the carbs and sugars before the end of the day, THAT is what is staying on my body, ugh.

I buy bricks of hard cheese and cut it into 1oz portions, I love sliced turkey, and hard boiled eggs. I don't put foods on bread, I put them on a leaf of Romaine Lettuce. Peanut Butter is a snack by the tablespoon, yes, measured. I do 1 huge salad a day with meat on it, my body needs complex carbs.

What?

You should also probably be weighing your PB. Because 1tbsp measured will most likely not be 15g or whatever your PB is listed as.

• prattiger65
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Not necessary to eat 40% of your calories from protein. It's advisable to not set your intake based on calorie percentages either. Why would my protein needs change if I'm eating 1800 calories versus my current 2200? So why would I need to eat 180g (which is way waaaay more than I need ever) at 1800 calories or 220g of protein at 2200 calories (which is like, almost double what I eat now)? Especially if I weigh the same eating both cal numbers?

Again, for some one just starting out, I believe its a good starting point. YMMV. Obviously everyone has different goal, as I clearly stated.

ETA, I find that most new people have no idea what there BF% is, therefore have no idea what their LBM is. would you agree that 1g per pound of LBM protein would be close? I would, but without knowing BF%, its just a guess and I assume that at some point new people will get that info and adjust. Would you also agree that fat should be .35 times body weight? I would and I'll wager that 30% would be in the ball park which is what I think is good advice to new people. Every idea isn't a bad idea just because it doesn't line up exactly with your idea.
  • ana3067
    Options

Again, for some one just starting out, I believe its a good starting point. YMMV. Obviously everyone has different goal, as I clearly stated.

For someone just starting out there is no need to even bother with monitoring macros. If someone is starting out and has specific body composition or fitness goals from the get-go, then they will already be aware (through looking for the answers in forums or through other searches) of how they should set their macros for their specific stats and goals.
  • Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe I won't eat it unless I can measure it accurately..we have jars of it at work..
    I usually guess using the size of my thumb for a tablespoon.

Ive been trying to eat more fish latel for protein and I actually have turkey for lunch today! So I think I'm on the right track there.

I'll have to switch my non fat yogurt to Greek with maybe frozen berries..and maybe make Breadless sandwiches too.. and I think that will help.

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can eat however much fat/etc you want. Unless you have specific body composition or endurance goals then macros don't really matter for weight loss itself.

^^This. I always go over my fat. It's a rare day when I don't. Sometimes I go pretty far over it, and it hasn't hindered weight loss in the least. As others have said, take the fat macro as a minimum. Make sure you are getting enough calories in. Despite what has been ingrained in many of us for years, fat does not make you fat. A calorie surplus does.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

What???? no need to get that much protein unless you are on a really large calorie deficit. Better to aim for grams, such as 0.8 grams/lb of lean body mass for protein as a minimum. If you don't know your BF% aim for 0.7-0.75 grams/lb of body weight as a min. for fat set a min od 0.35 grams/lb of body weight, and fill in the remainder with carbs, but use the fat and protein as minimums and the carbs as a max.

The above is really for body composition, if you are just trying to lose scale weight, just eat less calories than you burn.
  • prattiger65
    Options

For someone just starting out there is no need to even bother with monitoring macros. If someone is starting out and has specific body composition or fitness goals from the get-go, then they will already be aware (through looking for the answers in forums or through other searches) of how they should set their macros for their specific stats and goals.

I would agree with that, however the OP asked about macro monitoring.
  • Chubbud1
    Chubbud1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try PB 2...it's basically powdered Peanut butter. They have different versions of it. I buy it right in the grocery store..but you can pretty much find it wherever. You could also google it as well.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    For someone just starting out, no need to mess with the MFP default macros at all. Not until there's reason to.

As for PB2, I know some people on this site swear by it. Personally I don't much like the taste. I'd rather have a little bit of full-fat peanut butter than more of the calorie-reduced stuff. But hey, that's a personal choice.

OP, I agree with everyone else-- calorie-dense foods like peanut butter are REALLY hard to guesstimate, and if you eat it every day, being off by even a little bit could add up to a lot of calories over time. Maybe see if you can get a little food scale ($10-$15 on Amazon) and bring it to the office and keep it in the kitchen or at your desk?
  • prattiger65
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

What???? no need to get that much protein unless you are on a really large calorie deficit. Better to aim for grams, such as 0.8 grams/lb of lean body mass for protein as a minimum. If you don't know your BF% aim for 0.7-0.75 grams/lb of body weight as a min. for fat set a min od 0.35 grams/lb of body weight, and fill in the remainder with carbs, but use the fat and protein as minimums and the carbs as a max.

The above is really for body composition, if you are just trying to lose scale weight, just eat less calories than you burn.

I agree completely about not worrying about macros, right up until the point the OP asked specifically about macros. 40% isn't out of this world, over the top unheard of. Also, did anyone even read the last line of my post???? I specifically said " this is a generic baseline and your individual goals may be different, just a starting point" I am all for contradicting broscience and debunking myths. And disagreeing with me is ok, doesn't make me wrong and you right, just a difference of opinion. I think everyone should think before they hit send. You didn't even address the OP, just contradicted my opinion. How bout just answer the OP, if it disagrees with others that's ok.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    How I usually handle it is aim for calories first. Then I have a protein goal of at least 150g or so. Then the fat and carbs kinda fall wherever they do. On a workout day I may emphasize carbs, and on a rest day I may emphasis fat, but I don't usually stress out too much about getting the macros spot on. Generally fats are a priority over carbs, I mean, carbs are technically not essential.