How do you deal with work?

Options

Replies

• whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    My solution I work from home. Priceless!!!! No money spent on work clothes, gas or food. Another perk I don't have to deal with all that office BS. o:)

I envy you :s Sadly, most 20 year old's don't really have the opportunity to work from home haha.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Just like at home I shop.
    BNCZlWIdWAGjuyldyfSjFGtvTnLhiZinCygE-610xh.jpg
    Then I take over space in the fridge (not pictured) and I stock up my desk to have food always on hand.
    yPrYoRuuAdvTNcBIUfGnKwABlVcLgYHbAbvn-610xh.jpg
    My Food Ramp is always loaded, ready to go.

So you keep a bunch of stuff in the work fridge too? I should definitely buy some more food to stash in my desk.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    I'm in medical school and we are always presented with free (not healthy) lunches for different talks and seminars. Sometimes the food is brought back to where we study and we celebrate people's birthdays with lots of food and cake. I just bring my own lunch no matter what OR go get a salad in the food court (dressing on the side). I just don't let it be an option for me. And to be honest that was where I was getting myself into the most trouble before. So mentally I just don't allow it to be an option for me.

That needs to be more of my mindset. It needs to just not be an option anymore.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I bring my food with me to work 95% of the time (time permitting, some mornings are harder than others), so I'm definitely never lacking in healthier choices. I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away. There's only four of us in the front office, so they buy one for each of us. And then the box of doughnuts just sits on the cabinet next to my desk calling my name :'(

It's definitely more of a guilt thing than me really wanting the food for the most part. Aside from the orange "Super C" smoothies they bring sometimes. I could drink those every day..

Why can't you simply say, "no thanks...I already had breakfast/lunch." You say that you understand that you are in control of your eating decisions...your problem is simply that you're not exercising that control.

Do you maybe get some weird looks at first? Sure...but who the *kitten* cares. I'm going on 2.5 years of good livin' and people are for the most part are used to the way I live. I do participate in formal work functions and celebrations...but most of my fellow colleagues are pretty used to the fact that I brown bag it...that I ride pretty much every day at lunch, etc. It's not so weird to them anymore, and even if it is, it doesn't bother me being known as "the fit guy" at the office..which I am.

I understand that I'm responsible for my own eating decisions, but I feel bad when they buy me things and I say no. I hate being wasteful, but I understand I need to be more firm in saying no and try to decline preemptively. I've been primarily good at exercising control, I just wanted some tips on how everyone else says no. Sometimes sheer willpower just isn't cutting it, sadly. But thanks for the advice! :)

are they buying something specifically for you without asking or are they just going out and picking up some sandwiches or whatever and making sure they have enough if everyone wants to partake?

We have regular working lunch meetings and often lunch will be brought in...it's a nice courtesy...but there are always some slices of pizza or boxes of sandwiches left over because not everyone partakes...I've never seen them get in anyone's business for not partaking in a provided lunch.

I don't even think you need to be vocal about it...you just need to get over this feeling bad about not eating something that's laying around and "free".

It's definitely bought specifically for us and left on our desks or they come in and hand it directly to us. There's only four of us in the office, so it's not many people to buy for. Like the boxes of doughnuts are just left around, so they're easy enough to avoid. But it's when they give it directly to us where I struggle.

And in that case I'd go back to my first post - have a frank sit-down with whomever it is that is buying the items, and simply ask that they don't include you any more. Emphasize how much you appreciate it, how much you value their generosity, etc, but that you simply would rather make your own food choices.

If that still doesn't stop them, then I'd be inclined to think that person has no respect for boundaries or your personal wishes, and would have no problem taking said item and dropping it in the garbage in front of their face. (Or if you're less confrontational - put the item in the fridge, and take it home to throw out and/or have it for dinner).
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I bring my food with me to work 95% of the time (time permitting, some mornings are harder than others), so I'm definitely never lacking in healthier choices. I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away. There's only four of us in the front office, so they buy one for each of us. And then the box of doughnuts just sits on the cabinet next to my desk calling my name :'(

It's definitely more of a guilt thing than me really wanting the food for the most part. Aside from the orange "Super C" smoothies they bring sometimes. I could drink those every day..

On days when they bring in the yummy stuff, can you just put the breakfast/lunch you brought in the fridge for the next day and enjoy the smoothie or burrito? That's what I'd do.

On days when the office food is less appetizing, just don't eat whatever was brought in unless you know you can fit it in your day. Sometimes that is hard, and when I worked in an office, sometimes I would break down and eat part of a cupcake or some candy, but usually only a very small quantity since I'm really sensitive to sweets (a convenient sensitivity that I've had all my life to some degree, but it has been dramatically increased by being more careful about food for the last year or so). I've also developed a habit of refusing to eat anything that's not really WORTH its calories-- that took a couple months of steady weight-loss eating and hard work to develop, but it is a very useful & helpful mindset. If there is food around that is sort of asking to be eaten, I'll have a second look at it and ask myself, "do I really want this, or would I rather use the calories on something I like better/will be more satisfying?" Then the half an old protein bar, old cookie, sugary mini cupcake, or other poor-choice item ceases to be so interesting!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    So you keep a bunch of stuff in the work fridge too? I should definitely buy some more food to stash in my desk.
    Yes, grab one of the open crispers, jam your food in it, and some space on the fridge door and make it yours.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    aeviescas wrote: »

It's a mix of both. They'll bring in boxes of doughnuts and things like that, but then they also bring in a breakfast burrito/smoothie/etc. for each of us and leave it on our desk. So then I don't know what to do with it, especially because it's usually out of no where and they don't ask beforehand. I've done well with ignoring the things that are left out for everyone (like massive containers of chocolate covered raisins and almonds.. heart breaking) but the personalized things are harder to ignore for me.

Remember: if your bosses mean well, they will be supportive of your health decisions. They like being generous, and being clear about your lifestyle means they have more opportunities to be thoughtful.

Forming healthy habits is always easier in a supportive environment, and that means being honest and open about wanting to eat healthy. There is no shame in it! And who knows, you may inspire others to get healthier too.

(you can also try to bring in tupperware containers and then stick half in tupperware and eat the rest)

They're definitely supportive, and my coworkers tell me they're envious of how healthy I eat (for the most part) and that my food always looks good. They don't chastise/make fun/belittle my eating healthy. They just undermine it a little with the unhealthy food haha. They mean nothing but the best though. It's more of my own issue where I need to man up and say no regardless of feeling impolite.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Why can't you simply say, "no thanks...I already had breakfast/lunch." You say that you understand that you are in control of your eating decisions...your problem is simply that you're not exercising that control.

Do you maybe get some weird looks at first? Sure...but who the *kitten* cares. I'm going on 2.5 years of good livin' and people are for the most part are used to the way I live. I do participate in formal work functions and celebrations...but most of my fellow colleagues are pretty used to the fact that I brown bag it...that I ride pretty much every day at lunch, etc. It's not so weird to them anymore, and even if it is, it doesn't bother me being known as "the fit guy" at the office..which I am.

I understand that I'm responsible for my own eating decisions, but I feel bad when they buy me things and I say no. I hate being wasteful, but I understand I need to be more firm in saying no and try to decline preemptively. I've been primarily good at exercising control, I just wanted some tips on how everyone else says no. Sometimes sheer willpower just isn't cutting it, sadly. But thanks for the advice! :)

are they buying something specifically for you without asking or are they just going out and picking up some sandwiches or whatever and making sure they have enough if everyone wants to partake?

We have regular working lunch meetings and often lunch will be brought in...it's a nice courtesy...but there are always some slices of pizza or boxes of sandwiches left over because not everyone partakes...I've never seen them get in anyone's business for not partaking in a provided lunch.

I don't even think you need to be vocal about it...you just need to get over this feeling bad about not eating something that's laying around and "free".

It's definitely bought specifically for us and left on our desks or they come in and hand it directly to us. There's only four of us in the office, so it's not many people to buy for. Like the boxes of doughnuts are just left around, so they're easy enough to avoid. But it's when they give it directly to us where I struggle.

And in that case I'd go back to my first post - have a frank sit-down with whomever it is that is buying the items, and simply ask that they don't include you any more. Emphasize how much you appreciate it, how much you value their generosity, etc, but that you simply would rather make your own food choices.

If that still doesn't stop them, then I'd be inclined to think that person has no respect for boundaries or your personal wishes, and would have no problem taking said item and dropping it in the garbage in front of their face. (Or if you're less confrontational - put the item in the fridge, and take it home to throw out and/or have it for dinner).

Yeah, it's looking like I just have to be a bit more vocal about not wanting any food/goodies that they might buy. Just be firm and say I appreciate the offer, but it's not really fitting my goals. It's just hard standing up like that because I'm definitely younger than everyone else and since it's a very close family business, they treat me like family and I just so happen to be the baby of the group.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ask your boss to only get you something on Fridays and then you can plan it into your weekly calorie totals. That way you're not turning down your boss and alienating yourself from everyone and you're also not scarfing down all kinds of unwanted calories on a daily basis.
  • kenmiller75
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you're responsible for your own eating decisions. Either eat it, log it, and make room for it or don't eat it. It really is as simple as that.

I agree, I'm completely in control of my own eating decisions. I just needed some tips when I'm getting served unhealthy food on a silver platter. Definitely not the worst problem in the world, but I figured y'all could give me the best advice of anyone :)

Don't eat it. This is the only tip you need.

How is that helpful. The OP is asking for motivation and advice on how to deal with the situation. She knows that she shouldn't eat it. You're advice is worthless to her situation and your tone is rude.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Linnaea27 wrote: »

On days when they bring in the yummy stuff, can you just put the breakfast/lunch you brought in the fridge for the next day and enjoy the smoothie or burrito? That's what I'd do.

On days when the office food is less appetizing, just don't eat whatever was brought in unless you know you can fit it in your day. Sometimes that is hard, and when I worked in an office, sometimes I would break down and eat part of a cupcake or some candy, but usually only a very small quantity since I'm really sensitive to sweets (a convenient sensitivity that I've had all my life to some degree, but it has been dramatically increased by being more careful about food for the last year or so). I've also developed a habit of refusing to eat anything that's not really WORTH its calories-- that took a couple months of steady weight-loss eating and hard work to develop, but it is a very useful & helpful mindset. If there is food around that is sort of asking to be eaten, I'll have a second look at it and ask myself, "do I really want this, or would I rather use the calories on something I like better/will be more satisfying?" Then the half an old protein bar, old cookie, sugary mini cupcake, or other poor-choice item ceases to be so interesting!

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I can fit in the smoothie or the burrito, I just have to maybe take something out later or rethink what I'm going to eat. It's just that when I use my calories on something higher like that, I end up hungrier but don't have the calories for more snacks/whatever.

I've been losing weight for a couple years now, and I had made some really good habits. But then I did an internship with Disney, and lived in their housing with 300 other young adults, and thus took on some bad habits (a lot of alcohol and fast food). I'm just starting to get back into it, this time losing weight alone (I did it last time with my ex), so it's hard when you're the only one keeping yourself accountable. I've also found that I tend to need more calories in the evening because I get hungry later in the evening. So it sucks when I use up a fair amount during my work day, because then I can't eat snacks that night.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    That does complicate it when they bring something in randomly specifically for you. Ugh.

Folks at my office randomly go on "health kicks" and eat only fruits/veggies etc. We usually do not bring food in for one another like that because we never know who is on or off a diet, lol. About the only food item we all have in common is WINE. LOL
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Yes, grab one of the open crispers, jam your food in it, and some space on the fridge door and make it yours.

That's a good idea. I usually just bring my food for the day, but I should stock up some stuff in there for when I need something else. Thanks for the tip!
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Ask your boss to only get you something on Fridays and then you can plan it into your weekly calorie totals. That way you're not turning down your boss and alienating yourself from everyone and you're also not scarfing down all kinds of unwanted calories on a daily basis.

That might be a good idea. Maybe make it like a weekly treat kind of thing. Thank you for the idea, I'll definitely have to try that out if I can't get by with none :)
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    That does complicate it when they bring something in randomly specifically for you. Ugh.

Folks at my office randomly go on "health kicks" and eat only fruits/veggies etc. We usually do not bring food in for one another like that because we never know who is on or off a diet, lol. About the only food item we all have in common is WINE. LOL

Yeah, haha. I'm glad you feel my pain. Some days, though, that box of doughnuts in the corner is extremely enticing. Talking on the board helps, though. I really thought I was gonna cave and have one this morning, but talking on here and getting some motivation is definitely helping me refrain.

Omg if they were bringing drinks in here, there would be no stopping me.. especially because I get the drunchies, HARD.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    * Stay out of the breakroom/kitchenette/wherever food gets left

* Bring your own lunch to work, with enough snacks to keep you from getting hungry and cracking when they bring in the doughnuts

* Learn to say "no thank you" to the food pushers. Don't offer any follow-up excuse, like "I'm eating healthier", or "I'm trying to lose weight". NO FOLLOW UP.

All that is needed is "No thank you" and politely turn away. If They ask why, just say you don't fee like having any. If you stay consistent, they'll stop.
  • kenmiller75
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    You don't really need to be vocal about it if you don't want to. I mean, fine, that works for some people. But if it's in your personality to be more reserved and not to want to draw attention to your weight loss efforts, that's fine too. In fact, it's probably more professional in most office environments.

Don't apologize, don't explain. Just smile and say no thank you. You don't owe them any explanation beyond that.

My only issue with this part is they're the type of people who ask "why not?" if you decline their offer for food. Definitely not to be rude or nosy, if that makes sense. They're feeders, I guess. I don't really know how to explain it. I think it's more they know that most people are just saying no to be polite, and they genuinely want you to have some. I don't know if that made sense.

Option 1
    Bring in food for everyone one day. Make sure it's something bland, boring, and tasteless. Tell them when you pass out the food that you have to eat even more healthier sometimes to counter all of the unhealthy food they bring you and that you would like to do this at least once a week.

Option 2
    Let them feed you, because it is obviously something that they want to do and would more than likely be upset and offended if you didn't let them. This family has a big heart and consider you part of the family. Tell them you're grateful for their hospitality and ask your work family if they can order you healthy options instead of unhealthy options. I'm sure that wherever they order from they can find a salad or something grilled instead of deep fried and breaded.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Anns24 wrote: »
    SAME. Salespeople are always bringing in goodies for us ranging from cakes, to doughnnuts, to kolaches. Our owner buys groceris at costco which means fruit snack, and even twinkies! Everything in our kitchen is a disaster waiting to happen.
    My calorie goal was created by my nutritionist. We just recently went from 1500-1800 because turns out I wasn't eat ENOUGH crazy i know.

I keep a stack of fruit at my desk and I make really good snacks so that they satisfy the cravings in the kitchen.

Make homemade egg mcmuffins so when they bring in something you'll have a healthy equivalent that makes the choice easier.

Or hell, just eat half of something for starters.

It's the worst! This time around, my boss said he was going to buy us a bunch of snacks and told us to make a list, so I was at least able to convince my coworkers to put healthier items on the list (nuts, beef jerky, diet soda instead of regular, etc), although more chocolate covered things made it in too.

I actually really like healthy food, and eating fast food gives me stomach issues and just makes me feel lethargic all the time, so I'm a lot more satisfied when I eat some fruit and maybe a grain with some peanut butter for breakfast. But I definitely struggle turning down the breakfast burritos.

I'm better if they ask beforehand, because I normally can decline and say no thank you to the things like bagels, sandwiches, etc. But a lot of the time they buy for us without asking.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I bring my food with me to work 95% of the time (time permitting, some mornings are harder than others), so I'm definitely never lacking in healthier choices. I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away. There's only four of us in the front office, so they buy one for each of us.

There is your problem. Understand that you are under no obligation to take what is offered to you, if you did not ask for it. It's not on you if someone takes it upon themselves to buy you something. It's not your responsibility to keep others happy. If they get butthurt, ok. Let them. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? If it really bothers the buyer they'll eventually stop buying you stuff, and isn't that the end goal, anyway? Still a win.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'll also add this: I used to feel like I had to eat the food that was offered to me at work because it was "free food".

I stopped thinking of it as free. It may not cost money, but it costs calories, which are rarer and more precious to me.

Once I stopped thinking of it as free, it became easier to pass it up.

So much this!