Vegetarian Healthy Eating-Are Carbs That Bad?

Options
I'm 5'8 and 170 pounds, trying to get to 155 or so/get really fit. I honestly eat pretty healthy already, I don't drink soda, eat a lot of junk food and get a good amount of fruits and vegetables. I work at a gym so a lot of people around me have strong opinions about how I should eat. My friend who dates a trainer seems to think carbs are bad, once while eating veggies and hummus she said "I need to stop eating this, it's all carbs". She thinks I don't get enough protein as a vegetarian, which may be true. Are carbs really so bad? When I don't eat carbs I don't feel full. My family eats a lot of homemade bread, homemade pizza, pasta, burritos, always with a salad or veggies but still a lot of carbs. Because I'm busy I don't have a lot of time to make breakfast or lunch so I eat out a lot, I try to eat healthy but if I need to eat leads carbs I may need to change things...

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fine, and delicious! It doesn't much matter how you set your macros up, as long as you stay within your calorie goal you should lose weight.
    I eat a higher carb diet as a vegan and I'm losing just fine. I do have to supplement my protein with a protein powder because once I started tracking I realized I was woefully short on it. Now I get plenty. If you are a vegetarian and eat dairy, eggs, etc. it shouldn't be too tough.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm mostly vegetarian, and while I have cut out a lot of flour from my diet, I'm still way over on carbs and way under for protein. I'm also 5'8", currently about 185lbs trying to get to 155 lbs. feel free to add me if you want! I'm interested in hearing other people's responses about this too.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here who needs a nice moderate amount of carbs or she gets hungry! I get mine from plenty of veggies, beans, lentils, and gluten-free oats and I also make sure I get plenty of protein. I supplement my protein with bars and shakes, but I also love Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, and lentils.

My diary is public if you want to look at what I eat. As Lauren said, eat within your calorie goal, and you will lose weight. Just find a balance of carbs, fat, and protein that leaves you feeling sated and you'll be good.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad, and as an endurance athlete, I couldn't live on a low carb diet. But with that said, starchy food is very easy to overeat, because they tend to not be satiating and are high calorie. I find it best to pair them with protein and fats. So for pizza, lots of veggies and cheese, especially high protein veggies like spinach. Pasta....look into pasta with higher protein levels and again pairing it with some protein. Maybe some tofu, eg.
  • cbhockman
    Options
    I'm a vegan and I just met with a nutritionist yesterday because I was concerned about eating so many carbs in my diet. She suggested offsetting the carbs (mainly complex) with a spoonful of peanut butter as a protein. This will help the sugars produced by the carbs to be better absorbed into muscle tissue where it can be used to fuel the body.
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do tend to eat lower carbs but that is purely because I have pcos and insulin resistance, if I was eating for weight loss alone then carbs would still be a big part of my diet. I do struggle with protein so have a protein shake in the mornings but I don't like eating breakfast so that works for me. You need to do what works for you. I have found though that since I have increased my protein and fats, I do stay fuller for longer and don't miss all the bread and pasta etc that I used to eat. My carbs are normally fruit and veg
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    They're not bad at all.

At. All.

Quit demonizing carbs, folks - they ain't evil and your body REQUIRES them. Especially your brain.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I can easily be. I can do without meat and I have in the past. The issue more so with being in this diet is getting enough Protein and Iron in your diet- Calcium as well, esp if you're Vegan. It's more important to log every day and be sure you're getting your daily nutrients. Carbs from fruits and veggies = forget about those. Carbs from bread/pasta/crackers/etc = just like a meat eaters' diet, you have to make sure not to over do it. Unfortunately, MFP doesn't ignore Carbs from fruits and veggies. I wish we had a choice to remove those, so we can see the 'other' carbs.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    thingal12 wrote: »
    I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I can easily be. I can do without meat and I have in the past. The issue more so with being in this diet is getting enough Protein and Iron in your diet- Calcium as well, esp if you're Vegan. It's more important to log every day and be sure you're getting your daily nutrients. Carbs from fruits and veggies = forget about those. Carbs from bread/pasta/crackers/etc = just like a meat eaters' diet, you have to make sure not to over do it. Unfortunately, MFP doesn't ignore Carbs from fruits and veggies. I wish we had a choice to remove those, so we can see the 'other' carbs.
    No. Carbs are carbs are carbs.

OP: just make sure you're getting an adequate amount of protein and fat. It can be more difficult to get enough protein as a vegetarian, but it's not at all impossible. Feel free to peek at my diary if you'd like -- I'm veg and average 125g of protein per day.

• thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't eat hummus with bread, I eat it with vegetables (carrots, celery, cucumbers). Do you like Lentils? They are loaded with Protein, Iron, and Fiber. Do you like Dates? They are loaded with nutritional benefits.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    thingal12 wrote: »

I'm happy to read this!! Pretty much all my carbs come from vegetables, it's so frustrating. And i'm always over on my sugars too, usually from eating an apple. So annoying.

• eilahtang
    Options
    I hear ya, ladies!! I'm 5'8", vegetarian (almost 40!!!) and am currently at about 190, looking to get to 170. I am also having a hard time getting my requirement for protein. For those of you who are using protein powders - are they vegan/vegetarian? Any recommendations for one kind over another?
  • lorax429
    lorax429 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest myths which is actually an outright falsehood is that it is hard to get enough protein on a vegan/vegetarian diet. It is not hard at all....

48183d547664f558c7bb61fb5b6c01b7.jpg
  • Laurend224
    Options
    I am currently using an unsweetened vegan soy protein powder from Earth Fare. It's 20 grams protein per 100 calories.
    If you are vegetarian and have no issue with dairy, I think a whey protein would be easier to find, less expensive, and come in more variety of flavors.
  • kellybabe05
    kellybabe05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Carbs are carbs?

I don't see how eating bread or bagels is the same as eating apples or celery.
  • druorleans
    druorleans Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and rarely go over my carbs on mfp, but I don't each much pasta. I did have to start doing protein supplements, because when I got on here I realized my protein intake was woefully low. Now I have yogurt in the morning with protein mixed with water.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    lorax429 wrote: »
    One of the biggest myths which is actually an outright falsehood is that it is hard to get enough protein on a vegan/vegetarian diet. It is not hard at all....

The only thing I would add to that is it *may* be harder on a calorie restricted diet. I didn't have any issues before I started controlling my portions. Most vegan sources of protein are pretty calorically dense.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

This!
  • KrunchyMama
    Options

I find it hard. I really like your list, but nuts are too expensive, I don't eat processed foods, and while I do eat kale every day, one cup only has 2g of protein, so I'm still way under for my daily protein goal. Beans are great, but they put me way over for carbs. So for me it's all about finding that balance. Do I go over on carbs to meet protein, or do I meet carbs and go under on protein?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I find it hard. I really like your list, but nuts are too expensive, I don't eat processed foods, and while I do eat kale every day, one cup only has 2g of protein, so I'm still way under for my daily protein goal. Beans are great, but they put me way over for carbs. So for me it's all about finding that balance. Do I go over on carbs to meet protein, or do I meet carbs and go under on protein?

What are you restricting carbs to? I keep mine to 100-150 and try to get 50 grams of fiber. I offset the carbs with 100 g of protein and feel this keeps my blood sugar nice and even. I eat beans or lentils every day.

Are you vegan or ovo lacto?