Vegetarian Healthy Eating-Are Carbs That Bad?

Options

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Carbs are carbs?

I don't see how eating bread or bagels is the same as eating apples or celery.
    Different foods obviously give you different micronutrients. They are also obviously different in terms of caloric density. But your body processes 100 calories of apple the same way it processes 100 calories of bagel. It doesn't go "oh, I'm not going to count the apple, but I'm going to turn the bagel into belly fat!" That's not at all how biology works.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Krunchy: do you juice or make smoothies from both fruit and vegetables? I've made smoothies using 1 fruit (apple or pear) as well as lemon juice, kale, and spinach. The amount of nutrients are intense!

Edit: I sometimes add vitamins in it, too.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    On YouTube, follow: Eco-Vegan Gal, Sani FruityVegan, Tastemade (they have Vegan choices)!
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    lorax429 wrote: »
    One of the biggest myths which is actually an outright falsehood is that it is hard to get enough protein on a vegan/vegetarian diet. It is not hard at all....

48183d547664f558c7bb61fb5b6c01b7.jpg

I find it hard. I really like your list, but nuts are too expensive, I don't eat processed foods, and while I do eat kale every day, one cup only has 2g of protein, so I'm still way under for my daily protein goal. Beans are great, but they put me way over for carbs. So for me it's all about finding that balance. Do I go over on carbs to meet protein, or do I meet carbs and go under on protein?

What are you restricting carbs to? I keep mine to 100-150 and try to get 50 grams of fiber. I offset the carbs with 100 g of protein and feel this keeps my blood sugar nice and even. I eat beans or lentils every day.

Are you vegan or ovo lacto?

My carbs are 160, or more if I exercise. Looking at the MFP macro pie chart though, Im always at 50% or more of my diet being carbs. When I saw a nutrtitionist years ago she said I should only be at like 25% carbs which is why I'm trying to figure out where I need to make changes. I eat local meat a few times a week, and eggs from my laying hens, and my household isn't big on dairy (not to mention that it's crazy expensive!)
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    thingal12 wrote: »
    Krunchy: do you juice or make smoothies from both fruit and vegetables? I've made smoothies using 1 fruit (apple or pear) as well as lemon juice, kale, and spinach. The amount of nutrients are intense!

Edit: I sometimes add vitamins in it, too.

I have a smoothie almost every day. Kale, berries, and sometimes yogurt, but usually water. Yesterday I mixed it up and tried it with a banana and peanut butter, kale, and protein powder. Protein powder is expensive too, so I try not to use it too often.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I've never struggled to get enough protein. I love carbohydrates. They help keep me full.

It's very trendy to hate on carbohydrates because many high calorie foods that are easy to overdo it on are carbohydrates. An easily ignored fact is that many low calorie foods (veggies) are also carbohydrates.

Hummus is made of chickpeas (a type of bean, high in protein), oil (fat), salt, lemon juice, cumin, and tahini (sesame seed paste). Hummus and veggies are a great snack. Things like hummus only become a problem with serving sizes blow up. When I was bigger, I could polish off an entire container of hummus in one sitting. Oops.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lorax429 wrote: »
    One of the biggest myths which is actually an outright falsehood is that it is hard to get enough protein on a vegan/vegetarian diet. It is not hard at all....

48183d547664f558c7bb61fb5b6c01b7.jpg

I find it hard. I really like your list, but nuts are too expensive, I don't eat processed foods, and while I do eat kale every day, one cup only has 2g of protein, so I'm still way under for my daily protein goal. Beans are great, but they put me way over for carbs. So for me it's all about finding that balance. Do I go over on carbs to meet protein, or do I meet carbs and go under on protein?

What are you restricting carbs to? I keep mine to 100-150 and try to get 50 grams of fiber. I offset the carbs with 100 g of protein and feel this keeps my blood sugar nice and even. I eat beans or lentils every day.

Are you vegan or ovo lacto?

My carbs are 160, or more if I exercise. Looking at the MFP macro pie chart though, Im always at 50% or more of my diet being carbs. When I saw a nutrtitionist years ago she said I should only be at like 25% carbs which is why I'm trying to figure out where I need to make changes. I eat local meat a few times a week, and eggs from my laying hens, and my household isn't big on dairy (not to mention that it's crazy expensive!)

That nutritionist? Why did she say that? Do you have any compelling medical reason for restricting your carbs? I've seen diabetics on here with higher carb percentages than that.

The default micro ratio for carbs on MFP is usually set for 50%, you can lower it if you wish, but there's really no need to barring a doctor's advice.

I'm not picking on you, but I hate to see you feeling guilty if you don't have to!

• druorleans
    druorleans Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    eilahtang wrote: »
    I hear ya, ladies!! I'm 5'8", vegetarian (almost 40!!!) and am currently at about 190, looking to get to 170. I am also having a hard time getting my requirement for protein. For those of you who are using protein powders - are they vegan/vegetarian? Any recommendations for one kind over another?

I just started about a week ago with Now Foods - Whey Protein Isolate, Natural Unflavored. It is vegetarian, but not vegan. I don't want flavorings. I just wanted high protein with little calories or fillers. It has 25 grams of protein.

From what I've read, some people really like flavors, but I don't crave sweets, so I just wanted it plain. I'm just mixing mine in water in the morning, no smoothies.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options

That nutritionist? Why did she say that? Do you have any compelling medical reason for restricting your carbs? I've seen diabetics on here with higher carb percentages than that.

The default micro ratio for carbs on MFP is usually set for 50%, you can lower it if you wish, but there's really no need to barring a doctor's advice.

I'm not picking on you, but I hate to see you feeling guilty if you don't have to!

[/quote]

I am feeling guilty about it. She did have some good things to say (mainly I realized that my anxiety was due to a B12 deficiency), but I was never able to meet the goals she set. I guess it was mostly a waste of money. I should have realized when she said I should only be eating the following meat: turkey, duck, tuna, and ostrich. :S

If consensus on here says carbs are alright, then I'm going to stick with what's working!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I am feeling guilty about it. She did have some good things to say (mainly I realized that my anxiety was due to a B12 deficiency), but I was never able to meet the goals she set. I guess it was mostly a waste of money. I should have realized when she said I should only be eating the following meat: turkey, duck, tuna, and ostrich. :S

If consensus on here says carbs are alright, then I'm going to stick with what's working!

[/quote]

Oh now that is a super odd assortment of meats!

If you feel good and are satisfied with what you're eating, and you have no medical issues, there's really no reason to limit carbs--so release the guilt ;)

• DReamBig24
    DReamBig24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Carbs are fine, and delicious! It doesn't much matter how you set your macros up, as long as you stay within your calorie goal you should lose weight.
    I eat a higher carb diet as a vegan and I'm losing just fine. I do have to supplement my protein with a protein powder because once I started tracking I realized I was woefully short on it. Now I get plenty. If you are a vegetarian and eat dairy, eggs, etc. it shouldn't be too tough.

Hmmmmmmmm ok. Today (although I haven't eaten dinner) I was about 50% carbs, maybe 15% protein and the rest fat... I dunno if that's too much carbs.
    I was thinking of starting to make breakfast smoothies with protein to help.
  • DReamBig24
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm mostly vegetarian, and while I have cut out a lot of flour from my diet, I'm still way over on carbs and way under for protein. I'm also 5'8", currently about 185lbs trying to get to 155 lbs. feel free to add me if you want! I'm interested in hearing other people's responses about this too.
    Oh wow! Great to find someone of similar proportions with similar weight goals.
    Someone else replied saying they'd heard combining carbs with protein helps it to be absorbed. So perhaps such a big cut back in carbs isn't needed so much as an increase in protein?

• DReamBig24
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Carbs aren't bad, and as an endurance athlete, I couldn't live on a low carb diet. But with that said, starchy food is very easy to overeat, because they tend to not be satiating and are high calorie. I find it best to pair them with protein and fats. So for pizza, lots of veggies and cheese, especially high protein veggies like spinach. Pasta....look into pasta with higher protein levels and again pairing it with some protein. Maybe some tofu, eg.

Yeah I'm planning to start working out more/harder. Trying to get my high school body back... I mean it was only 2 years ago, can't be too hard... I should probably eat more eggs, for breakfast and such I know.
  • DReamBig24
    Options
    Vegetarian here who needs a nice moderate amount of carbs or she gets hungry! I get mine from plenty of veggies, beans, lentils, and gluten-free oats and I also make sure I get plenty of protein. I supplement my protein with bars and shakes, but I also love Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, and lentils.

My diary is public if you want to look at what I eat. As Lauren said, eat within your calorie goal, and you will lose weight. Just find a balance of carbs, fat, and protein that leaves you feeling sated and you'll be good.

Thanks for the offer!
    I have been eating protein bars for breakfast occasionally. Been meaning to start making shakes, that's why I splurged on a nice metal Starbucks cold drink cup....
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    I like eating eggs over a bed of greens (arugula, or chard, or kale). So good, and very filling!
  • DReamBig24
    Options
    cbhockman wrote: »
    I'm a vegan and I just met with a nutritionist yesterday because I was concerned about eating so many carbs in my diet. She suggested offsetting the carbs (mainly complex) with a spoonful of peanut butter as a protein. This will help the sugars produced by the carbs to be better absorbed into muscle tissue where it can be used to fuel the body.

I might have heard something about that before. Sounds like I need to up my protein intake.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

So, um, this is more proof why it's important to beware of anyone who calls themselves a "nutritionist".

If it quacks like a (second meat on your list)...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    cbhockman wrote: »
    I'm a vegan and I just met with a nutritionist yesterday because I was concerned about eating so many carbs in my diet. She suggested offsetting the carbs (mainly complex) with a spoonful of peanut butter as a protein. This will help the sugars produced by the carbs to be better absorbed into muscle tissue where it can be used to fuel the body.

?? Peanut butter is mostly fat (an all-peanut peanut butter gets close to 75% of its calories from fat), and the remainder is split pretty evenly between carbs and protein (and that's for an all-peanut peanut butter --you'd get a higher ratio of carbs if you're eating one with added sugar).

I see so much factually incorrect advice on these boards that people say they got from nutritionists and other paid professionals that I am glad I've never wasted money on one.
  • lauracamp27991
    lauracamp27991 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just started MFP about two weeks ago, and as a vegetarian the biggest question I have is about protein intake, too. I never thought I was really deficient, and wonder if we really need as much protein as the guidelines are saying. What do you think?

Have started adding quinoa and lentils to my diet, and I already do a morning smoothie so could add protein powder, I guess. Usually try to just use "whole" foods, but whatever.

My doctor is against milk products, and I have cut back quite a bit - almond milk instead of milk, much less cheese - but that doesn't help the protein count!

I am age 57, 5'8", pretty active, weigh 154 and looking to get down to 140.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The facts on protein:
    • The minimum for women for protein intake is around 46g per day. If you're usually above that minimum, then you're probably not deficient. But really, that's a minimum and you should aim for more.
    • The RDA (recommended daily allowance) for protein is 0.8g per kilogram of body weight. So if you convert 154lbs to kg, you should be aiming for 70g of protein per day.
    • However, if you're weight training with any kind of intensity, you may want to increase that somewhat. 0.8g-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass is an oft-recommended guideline. So if you're 154lbs and 30% body fat, for instance, then you have roughly 108lbs of LBM and can aim for between 86 and 108g of protein per day.
    • There's some evidence that the body can only use 25-30g of protein at once to support muscle repair. So if you're eating a lot of protein, try to space it out throughout the day, rather than concentrating it all in one meal.

I'd also question why your doctor is against dairy products? Do you have a specific medical condition that would lead you to be unable to eat them? For most healthy adults, dairy is a great (and tasty!) source of vital nutrients including protein, calcium and vitamins A and D.