Ladies, dont be afraid to lift weights at the gym.

Options
SonyaCele
SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
You aren't gonna bulk up and look like Starla, at least not without a whole lotta help. I love lifting heavy and don't look anywhere near like this.

http://www.ncscooper.com/local-woman-quits-gym-for-fear-shell-look-like-starla/

Replies

• aeviescas
    aeviescas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also, don't buy into Amway MLM. Just look at its board of marketers
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been doing Stronglifts for a while, and I don't look anything like Starla! *kicks rocks*
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for two years and look nothing like this, and still working on my trouble spots.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I was in a lifting competition on saturday.

There was a gal there, 13 years old, looked about as average and goofy as a young teen gets.

Deadlifted 94kg.

The gal that won the competition overall looked about as average as it gets, no thigh gap, definitely not a big or muscular gal. Maybe mid 30s. If I had seen her in normal clothes, I wouldn't have been able to tell she lifted. In fact, in that entire competition, there were only three women there that looked like they lifted at all, and only one of them was big and bulky, but that was not due to heavy musculature.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Ok but now we have to start another thread on juicing because "...if they want to look like Starla, it surely involves adding juice to their diet."
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Well, Ms Smith's a charmer, isn't she. I'd, personally, kill for Starla's shoulders (that'd probably take me about 20 yrs)!
  • SonyaCele
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not sure if that article is real or not or if its just another person needing a lame excuse not to work out. I lift, don't look anything like Starla...who by the way...looks like a dude.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

That was an EXCLUSIVE interview! LMAO
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Question for those that workout in the gym and lift heavy; Are you offended by this type of thinking? That there are a lot of women out there that assume you gals just go to the gym and lift a bit here and there and a month later you look like Dorian Yates? That people with no knowledge of the hard work being in the gym and building muscle just think you can load a few weights on a bar and the result is Starla?

Surprised so many people (a lot of women) hold lifting heavy and weight training in such low regard.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    Question for those that workout in the gym and lift heavy; Are you offended by this type of thinking? That there are a lot of women out there that assume you gals just go to the gym and lift a bit here and there and a month later you look like Dorian Yates? That people with no knowledge of the hard work being in the gym and building muscle just think you can load a few weights on a bar and the result is Starla?

Surprised so many people (a lot of women) hold lifting heavy and weight training in such low regard.

I wouldn't say offensive, but it is annoying that women think they'll accidentally get huge.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions regarding physical fitness. What I think is unattractive, many females (and males) love. I try not to think about it too much, and just train my body for what I find attractive.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Not offended, just surprised like you are...and kind of sad they wont open up their minds and see the huge benefits that come from lifting, especially at my age (almost 50)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I just want a thigh gap and a "toned" body :s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options

TBH I'm actually kind of annoyed by this way of thinking. I think its stupid of the woman to not do any research. Sorry, I guess she googled "women with muscle" haha and of course got the extreme result and it scared her. Typically someone is scared off by something because they know NOTHING about it.

It takes a really long time to build a lot of muscle and Starla well we all know Starla is natty..... ;)

• SonyaCele
    Options
    There have been plenty of times i'm lifting at the gym and try and encourage girls around me to give it a try, and they usually "oh no, i dont wanna get bulky" and i ask them if i look bulky and some have even proceeded to tell me how they put on muscle really fast, and don't wanna build any more than they already have. SMH. Some will give it a try and then cry the whole next day cause of the pain. Oh well, all we can do is try.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Not offended just surprised, like you, that women still think like this.

I'd certainly be offended if I was Starla - all that work (and that looks like years of work to me) for some nobody to hold you up as everything you don't want to be AND that men should be ashamed to be with someone who looks like that! WTF!!
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    I actually like starla, if i could have muscles like her? omg.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

Not offended by those (both men and women) who think "if you lift, you'll become she-hulk". Some people are just uninformed. I think it's sad that people are still uniformed and look down upon women lifting. When someone voices those concerns, I try to educate them.

I have no desire to look like Starla or Dana Linn Bailey, but I admire them for the hard work (and time) they've put into their bodies. I wish more people would realize that just picking up weights =/= Starla.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Not offended just surprised, like you, that women still think like this.

I'd certainly be offended if I was Starla - all that work (and that looks like years of work to me) for some nobody to hold you up as everything you don't want to be AND that men should be ashamed to be with someone who looks like that! WTF!!

Well said! This bothered me as well.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    i always respect women that work hard on their bodies. i'm slightly more than "toned" than a lot of girls, i am nowhere like starla, i have had comments behind my back and i just turn and smile and let haters be haters. I'd rather be me than them.