Binge eating....

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    sengalissa wrote: »
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with binging, and people that haven't ever had the issue don't understand how HARD it is to stop or redirect when the urge starts. It's not just a matter of self control.

I started out losing weight by only counting calories when I was 300 lbs, and I was eating 1500 calories a day. Then I moved to only counting calories and eating 1200 calories a day. Then I plateaued and added exercise. Eventually I moved to eating around 1000 calories and working out for around 3 hours a day when I could manage it. I thought, well, if a little exercise is good, more must be better. And if 1200 calories was good, less must be better. On top of that, I was eating very little fat. I was good for about a year, and ended up losing down to around 110. Then, out of nowhere, uncontrollable binges would start. I would go crazy with anything that contained carbs and fat. And then after my binges, I would go crazy again with over restricting and over exercising to "make up" for those binges. I got desperate because I was gaining weight back, and I just couldn't get out of the cycle, so I decided to get help (with the strong urging of several friends).

I ended up seeing a nutritionist that specialized in eating disorders. She taught me several things that were a BIG help. The first thing was that I was sleep deprived because I was getting up at 4 am to work out, but going to bed around midnight (I had just started dating my boyfriend). Being sleep deprived can make you crave carbs. The second was that my body was going crazy craving carbs and fat because I was expending energy like crazy, but never replenishing. I needed to start eating more, and working out less.

It's still hard to find a balance, but as long as I listened to her AND listen to my body, I have very little issues now. The below is what I try to keep in mind, and what I suggest for anyone else having problems:

1) Make sure you get enough sleep
    2) Make sure you are eating enough (especially enough fat)
    3) Don't over exercise, and make sure you eat enough for you level of activity
    4) DON'T try to "make up" for binges.
    Thank you. That helped me.

My trigger for binges is when one of my children is sick. You're up all kind, then stuck inside (no exercise, and very lonely) entertaining cranky kids. I resort to eating in those moments. Maybe it will help me to BE AWARE that it is the lack of sleep that makes me crave sugar.

Also, I binged today. Was thinking about exercising on my rest day tomorrow. You convinced me not to. Got it.

Glad I could help!
  • jenna80302
    jenna80302 Posts: 54 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I haven't about cutting out refined sugar, how would i even go about that?

You begin by not eating processed food... When I stopped eating sugar, I cut out all processed foods, I cut out all sweets and chocolate, I stopped adding sugar to my coffee (I eventually cut out caffeine too), I cut out alcohol, I cut out all yeast (even nutritional yeast), and I cut out all refined or processed carbohydrates (Later I also cut out grains in general (no bread even gluten free, quinoa, rice, oats, nothing)), potatoes (sweet and plain), any starch vegetable, etc. etc.

The only time you eat sugar is when it comes from fruit... Plain and simple.

It's hard... I experienced major withdrawal from cutting out sugar, but after the first week my carbohydrate and sugar craving were GONE.

I too suffered from binge/emotional eating. My weight fluctuated from 135 -185 (and back) thoughtout most of my adult life.... I found that by healing my body with whole nutritious foods that I was excited about, made a major difference. By shifting the focus away from my binging I got my life back.

The conscious cleanse changed my life, and I would highly recommend reading it
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Well you have noted it - draw a line under it and move on. It happens to me sometimes too. What helps me stay on track is to have a little treat planned into my day so I don't feel deprived- eg a low fat hot chocolate and small chocolate bar/biscuit.

This totally. I plan a little "treat" in my day be it ice cream, a mini chocolate bar, tootise roll pop (look at my food log and you can see I have one of those almost every day) etc. and then I walk away from the area that food is kept. I found that having individually wrapped things help me a lot. This outlook helped me loose my weight and feel really great. It is a way of life that I can maintain.

Good luck!
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! We all have bad days!
  • theworldofjel13
    Options
    jenna80302 wrote: »

You begin by not eating processed food... When I stopped eating sugar, I cut out all processed foods, I cut out all sweets and chocolate, I stopped adding sugar to my coffee (I eventually cut out caffeine too), I cut out alcohol, I cut out all yeast (even nutritional yeast), and I cut out all refined or processed carbohydrates (Later I also cut out grains in general (no bread even gluten free, quinoa, rice, oats, nothing)), potatoes (sweet and plain), any starch vegetable, etc. etc.

It's hard... I experienced major withdrawal from cutting out sugar, but after the first week my carbohydrate and sugar craving were GONE.

I too suffered from binge/emotional eating. My weight fluctuated from 135 -185 (and back) thoughtout most of my adult life.... I found that by healing my body with whole nutritious foods that I was excited about, made a major difference. By shifting the focus away from my binging I got my life back.

So is this basically like eating clean? I've been wanting to switch my "diet" to that for a long time. But I feel like its super expensive. I crave sweets, It gets really bad sometimes.
  • theworldofjel13
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! We all have bad days!

Thank you. Surprising i didnt beat myself up too bad over it like i usually do.
  • theworldofjel13
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I haven't about cutting out refined sugar, how would i even go about that? And yes I have thought about counseling. I think the reason I havent gone is because I'm embarrassed. I'm already overweight and I dont want them to think Its just an excuse.

They're not paid to do that, they're paid to help you fix it. Remember that, ultimately, they're your employee, not your judge.

Are there counselors just for helping me cope with binge/overeating?
  • theworldofjel13
    Options
    Well you have noted it - draw a line under it and move on. It happens to me sometimes too. What helps me stay on track is to have a little treat planned into my day so I don't feel deprived- eg a low fat hot chocolate and small chocolate bar/biscuit.

This totally. I plan a little "treat" in my day be it ice cream, a mini chocolate bar, tootise roll pop (look at my food log and you can see I have one of those almost every day) etc. and then I walk away from the area that food is kept. I found that having individually wrapped things help me a lot. This outlook helped me loose my weight and feel really great. It is a way of life that I can maintain.

Good luck!

Thank you. I think my biggest reason i binge is because I dont eat breakfast. I usually dont have my first meal until around 1 in the afternoon. Then when I do eat I want to eat everything in sight.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am a grazer. I love to eat. I have breakfast, lunch, dinner and AM and PM snacks. It works for me. I don't do it for any other reason then I really like to eat. HAA I do ensure that I am within my calorie count.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Thank you. I think my biggest reason i binge is because I dont eat breakfast. I usually dont have my first meal until around 1 in the afternoon. Then when I do eat I want to eat everything in sight.

Thats funny, the biggest reason I binge is because I find eating to be both pleasurable and stress relieving. the aftermath sucks, but the act is all WIN.

• jenna80302
    jenna80302 Posts: 54 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jenna80302 wrote: »

So is this basically like eating clean? I've been wanting to switch my "diet" to that for a long time. But I feel like its super expensive. I crave sweets, It gets really bad sometimes.

So basically you buy nothing that comes in a box or plastic.. You can save money buy purchasing frozen fruits and veggies (they don't go bad), and over time you will spend less money due to the overall costs of packaging.

I eat clean, and for me this means: veggies, animal protein, vegetable protein (seeds and nuts), fats, and fruit. I have an egg and dairy, sensitivity so I avoid eggs & dairy (this includes butter). I choose to be grain and legume free because of how those foods interrupt my digestion... There are a multitude of variations for this diet. I have found that by eating "clean" my grocery bills are minuscule ($60-100 a week.. Which is about $12-14 a day... And $4-5 a meal (on the high end)) in comparison to how much I used to spend going out. And as for eating out, my go to: bison burger/ chicken breast over greens, with steamed veggies, with olive oil.

I lost my first 25 lbs following a clean eating plan and I didn't count calories AT ALL! I have joins MFP a to expedite my results and so far I am down another 7. This weight is coming off slow and in a healthy way (1-2) lbs per week, and I feel great.

Please look into reading the conscious cleanse and the beauty detox solution. The beauty detox solution has a great bike wheel analogy.

Let me know if you have any other questions I'm happy to tell you how I found success
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the support and encouraging words. I'm drinking lots of water to hopefully flush it out. I hate that I beat myself up for it, but i just wish it was something I could control. Unfortunately its something i struggle with daily.

Sorry to have to say this, but drinking water won't flush anything out. Not in terms of calories and macronutrients consumed, anyway. The human body is remarkably (and in many cases lamentably) efficient in storing just about every last calorie eaten, even on a crazy binge. Maybe use that knowledge to dissuade you from bingeing in the future, if you know that it'll all stick with you? Use it to learn from your mistakes. The important thing is to not let it stop you from keeping on tomorrow. Dust yourself off and keep going.

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Intermittent fasters eat that way (sort of). Like they'll have an eating window of 1 pm to 9 pm. As long as you're staying within your calorie goal, you'll be ok. If you're not hungry for breakfast, you don't have to eat it. Also, I was a binge/emotional eater for most of my life. I found that "forcing" myself to eat something that I would've normally binged on, in a normal amount (like weighing out one serving of ice cream, or having only 2 Oreos...), every day made me less likely to binge. I weigh it out and put it away. I put sticky notes on the Cheez Its in the office for a while, with my name in a red circle and a line through it, to snap me back to reality when I mindlessly grabbed a box. This post also helped me think of food differently. myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I feel so pathetic right now, I totally just went on a binge. I hate when that happens because i feel like that puts me two steps behind!

Worst thing u can do is get depressed bc that will result in low self esteem and more binging. What was the cause of your bing? My guess it's because u have been cutting out certain foods that you once enjoyed and now u have such a craving that it's uncontrollable. Share your story

The thing abt having a controlled and successful meal plan is that you do it responsibly. Yes too many bowls of ice cream and too many cup cakes and too much candy or whatever isn't optimal but at the end of the day it all comes down to calories. People gain weight when they consume more calories than their body needs daily. It's all abt balance you can eat the good things in life and enjoy them everyday if u choose. My suggestion to u is allow yourself to eat what u want but keep track of it so u know you're not consuming more than needed. You shouldn't let your diet control your life because it will!
  • brathmell29
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have just recently came to terms with the fact that I'm a binger when I am feel upset or tired. When I feel a binge coming on I open Pinterest or play a game, or look at posts on here. :) like the other ladies said, you just have to pick yourself up and move on!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with binging, and people that haven't ever had the issue don't understand how HARD it is to stop or redirect when the urge starts. It's not just a matter of self control.

I started out losing weight by only counting calories when I was 300 lbs, and I was eating 1500 calories a day. Then I moved to only counting calories and eating 1200 calories a day. Then I plateaued and added exercise. Eventually I moved to eating around 1000 calories and working out for around 3 hours a day when I could manage it. I thought, well, if a little exercise is good, more must be better. And if 1200 calories was good, less must be better. On top of that, I was eating very little fat. I was good for about a year, and ended up losing down to around 110. Then, out of nowhere, uncontrollable binges would start. I would go crazy with anything that contained carbs and fat. And then after my binges, I would go crazy again with over restricting and over exercising to "make up" for those binges. I got desperate because I was gaining weight back, and I just couldn't get out of the cycle, so I decided to get help (with the strong urging of several friends).

I ended up seeing a nutritionist that specialized in eating disorders. She taught me several things that were a BIG help. The first thing was that I was sleep deprived because I was getting up at 4 am to work out, but going to bed around midnight (I had just started dating my boyfriend). Being sleep deprived can make you crave carbs. The second was that my body was going crazy craving carbs and fat because I was expending energy like crazy, but never replenishing. I needed to start eating more, and working out less.

It's still hard to find a balance, but as long as I listened to her AND listen to my body, I have very little issues now. The below is what I try to keep in mind, and what I suggest for anyone else having problems:

Great advice!

A few months ago I went out to eat with family & went over my calories & restricted the next few days to try & make up for it & got sucked into a binge/restrict cycle. My last binge was on Tuesday & like you mentioned I decided to stop making up for them.
  • dsbroussard82
    dsbroussard82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well don't be hard on yourself. Learn and move on. Certainly dont make up for binging, thats just throwing a cheap band aid on bigger problem.

I cant really relate cause I dont have any true eating disorders so I cant really know how you feel. But I know you can stop it because you are in control of your body.

Anyways. .....thought I would share this tip. Last night I was at 1300 calories, 500 less than my already low deficit. So usually I could eat a bear if I wanted to. I decided to eat a protein fluff to snack on and get more protein. This was the second time preparing and eating protein fluff and both times I struggled to finish it and I was feeling way to full to eat more. It totally shut down my appetite. I went to sleep feeling stuffed with only 1300 cal. For the day. While I didn't intend to eat so few calories and I dont recommend eating so few, I did however learn a trick when i have just about run out of calories. Ill eat a protein fluff and im satisfied.

Search feeding fitness protein fluff on YouTube. Nick will show you how to make it.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I haven't about cutting out refined sugar, how would i even go about that? And yes I have thought about counseling. I think the reason I havent gone is because I'm embarrassed. I'm already overweight and I dont want them to think Its just an excuse.

They're not paid to do that, they're paid to help you fix it. Remember that, ultimately, they're your employee, not your judge.

When I was dealing with my eating disorder, I saw a psychologist that specialized in eating disorders and a nutritionist that specialized in eating disorders, so they are definitely out there. You could ask your GP or gyno to recommend someone. My gyno was the one that suggested a get help, and recommended the psychologist who recommended the nutritionist.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Yes, and insurance is required to cover a lot of weight-related things that it didn't used to. Check your insurance and see if they have a specific category for it.
  • Kathryn78Rockdale
    Options

Thank you Raynne, I will add this 4 step reminder to my mirror, I really struggle with binge eating, and like you have lost enough weight to know how to be good eat right and stay healthy, but my self control when I start to binge goes out the window and I can not bring it back until I have cried and complained about my self sabotage.