Fat...to fit...to somewhere in the middle...

Options
gettinleanin2015
gettinleanin2015 Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2015 in Success Stories
'ello lovely folks.

It's sobering to think it's been nearly three years since I made an initial introduction post on these forums. Not only because that three years has flown by, but because I was a lean, mean machine three years ago. Now...? Not so much.

The basics? Have a list, it makes me feel organised:
  • Natalie
  • 30 years old
  • Cardiffian living in England
  • PCOS sufferer
  • Used to weigh 16 stone (224lb) back in the day, lost six stone to get down to 10 stone (140lb) between 2010 and 2012
  • Life changed when I moved in with a lovely man in 2013, changed jobs, and realised that training two hours a day, seven days a week wasn't feasible any more
  • A love of real ale, my sofa, and turning 30 formed a perfect storm which meant my weight crept up
  • I'm now two stone (28lb) heavier than my lightest, and while I'm still very fit, I have been in much better shape
  • My glorious size 10 jeans that made my bum look amazing are mocking me from the attic

Not gonna lie, looking at my old posts on here saddens me. There's one post where I say that 11 stone (154lb) was a weight I used as a yardstick to put down the fork. Now? I'd be blimmin' delighted to be that weight again! Working on it.

Incidentally, my username used to be mogletdeluxe. I was so young and militant about my fitness back then that it felt disingenuous to reactivate that profile.

So. Back to logging. Training five days a week and fitting it around my new life. Because, frankly, I miss my old shoulders.

Some might ask why this is in success stories, when I've gained weight. Last year, I ran a half marathon, took part in charity zumba events and was arguably the fittest I've ever been. A non-scale victory that I'll take!

Feel free to say hello, friends new and old :)

Picture below shows a bit of a timeline - left picture was 2010 at 16 stone, top right 2012 at 10 stone, bottom right 2014 at 12 stone (168lb). So while some may scoff at the not-entirely-massive difference in the two more recent ones, I can feel it. And so can my bras/jeans/chins.

Trio_zps769bcce7.jpg

Replies

• skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    First congrats on your first weight loss and keeping most of it off. A bigger congrats for staying fit and realizing to get back on track before you gain more weight.
  • gettinleanin2015
    Options
    First congrats on your first weight loss and keeping most of it off. A bigger congrats for staying fit and realizing to get back on track before you gain more weight.

Thank you, much appreciated! Maintenance is definitely the hardest part - going up a dress size was the wakeup call for me.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! Congrats on all your successes and staying fit!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    You still look fabulous. I can understand wanting to get back to the fitness level you were at before, but you know how to get it done and you look great!
  • Th3Admiral
    Options
    You look gorgeous either way. Congrats on your fitness accomplishments!

We have similar goals, as of this morning I have 27.5 to lose. Add me if you want. (:
  • gettinleanin2015
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Coming back, I realise just how much I miss this place :)

The bizarre thing really is that I'm by far the fittest I've ever been. But fit doesn't always equal lean - that's where taking my eye off the nutrition ball comes in!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You do still look great but I know, from my own experiences, that it's hard to be "happy" when you feel you've looked better. What are some lessons learned? What will you be doing differently? I gained a bunch a weight and am now losing it (again) and am very obsessed with how to not go wrong again once I reach maintenance. I know I have to think of it as a lifestyle change forever, not just when I reach some arbitrary weight. I just wonder how to keep the motivation there when you aren't overweight and look good. I hope I've figured it out but would be interested to hear what you think.
  • gettinleanin2015
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    You do still look great but I know, from my own experiences, that it's hard to be "happy" when you feel you've looked better. What are some lessons learned? What will you be doing differently? I gained a bunch a weight and am now losing it (again) and am very obsessed with how to not go wrong again once I reach maintenance. I know I have to think of it as a lifestyle change forever, not just when I reach some arbitrary weight. I just wonder how to keep the motivation there when you aren't overweight and look good. I hope I've figured it out but would be interested to hear what you think.

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. You really hit the nail on the head - the perfect storm for me was mainly that my fitness hadn't suffered, I still looked 'half-decent' and I wasn't fat, as such. Even so, I'm still larger than I have been in a while and it was a bit of a shocker when I realised that (amazing how so many things in life can just creep up on you!).

This one deserves some serious mulling over. Will get back to you!

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Funny, you should mention fitness. I was in denial (and apparently deaf, dumb and blind) about my 80lb weight gain... until I casually signed up for a 30 mile bike ride I had crushed two years before. I thought I was going to die! My heartrate was over 185bpm for most of the ride! I had to quit halfway through (and that was 10 miles further than I can even fathom I got to). It took me 2 hours to ride 15 miles on my bike. Other riders were staring at me, asking if I needed help, saying "you can do it!" when they probably knew I couldn't. I was dead last and the assistance vehicle was trailing me like a vulture trails a wounded animal. It was the most humiliating, sobering, inspiring, incredible experience I have ever had. And it was the BEST thing that ever happened to me. That was September 20, 2014. I joined MFP the next day and have been losing weight (51lbs and counting) ever since. It was my wake up call. I have worked out for 25 years (yikes, I'm old!) and never was unable to muscle through something because of my weight. I am very proud and hate to be pitied or pitiful. I have looked fantabulous in my life and want to get back there and even exceed that. I just gotta figure out what switch got turned off when I decided I should gain half of another person in bodyfat in two years. Now, I did break my ankle and have surgery but I don't excuse myself because I should have known to adjust my eating for my activity level. I just didn't care and I don't know why that is. Hmmm, maybe it had to do with the couch potato ex-boyfriend??? Lol, yeah okay, let's blame him! Just kidding. I accept total responsiblility.

I look forward to your insightful reply!!!
  • alwilkey
    Options
    Your story is amazing...speaks of diligence and desire. I can't stand when people are like "oh, but you still look great!". yeah, we can tell ourselves if we aren't fitting in our clothes the way we should etc...So good luck!
  • fit_at_fifty
    fit_at_fifty Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ello lovely lady ;) you look great but only you know how you want to feel, best of luck with your journey to perfection :D
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your new journey. I love your positive attitude!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look great in all pics. Good luck with your new goal!
  • cdlee05
    cdlee05 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    what a knockout. nice job!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely lovely, and I'm in a similar position - was larger, then got fit, then gained some back and am on a mission to lose it again. However, I never really stopped in my quest to be healthy. I'm still really strong...just have more wiggly stuff around the middle than I'd like. I'll send you a FR! :)
  • bfield92
    bfield92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    First off congrats u look great. What size jeans are u now? And besides exercising what else did u do?
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look great in all pics. Good luck with your new goal!
  • trazter31
    trazter31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You look awesome in the two last picture! Congrats to you!
  • gettinleanin2015
    Options
    bfield92 wrote: »
    First off congrats u look great. What size jeans are u now? And besides exercising what else did u do?

Hi there. At my largest, I was a UK size 20. At my smallest, I was a 10/12. I'm now a 12/14, so need to strim down some.

Exercised a lot, portion control, no specific diet. Stopped snacking too, as it's my downfall!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Way to get it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!