Too much Fat, More Protien

Options
2»

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I mean, carbs are technically not essential.

On the contrary. Carbs are essential in a healthy, balanced diet. They provide energy so you can fuel your weight loss and workouts.

Too many carbs aren't essential. Try to prioritize complex carbs and whole grains over simple sugars. And if you have diabetes or insulin resistance, adjust your carb intake as appropriate.

But carbs aren't evil. Carbs didn't make you fat. Too much food made you fat.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I mean, carbs are technically not essential.

On the contrary. Carbs are essential in a healthy, balanced diet. They provide energy so you can fuel your weight loss and workouts.

Too many carbs aren't essential. Try to prioritize complex carbs and whole grains over simple sugars. And if you have diabetes or insulin resistance, adjust your carb intake as appropriate.

But carbs aren't evil. Carbs didn't make you fat. Too much food made you fat.

Essential, in a nutritional context, means your body needs it, but it can't create it. Carbs meet the first requirement, but not the second.

They are not essential nutrients, technically. Yes, your body needs carbs, but it also creates them when needed (gluconeogenesis), and can adapt to using ketones from fat oxidation.

Nutritionally speaking, there are no "essential carbs." There are definitely essential fats and essential amino acids.

Not trying to say carbs are evil or anything. I like them as much as the next person.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    OP, I hope you got something out of this. Without knowing what your specific goals are, the advice will be all over the place as you can see. Bottom line, its unlikely you will harm yourself with too much protein. While you certainly want adequate fat, you should watch it, protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram, whereas fat is 9 calories per gram. There are lots of protein dense foods out there, find some you love. Peanut butter is fine, and I agree with the other poster that recommended PB2, especially if your calorie goal is low. A serving is only 45 calories. Good luck to you OP!!!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Aresende90 wrote: »
    Maybe I won't eat it unless I can measure it accurately..we have jars of it at work..
    I usually guess using the size of my thumb for a tablespoon.

Ive been trying to eat more fish latel for protein and I actually have turkey for lunch today! So I think I'm on the right track there.

I'll have to switch my non fat yogurt to Greek with maybe frozen berries..and maybe make Breadless sandwiches too.. and I think that will help.
    Breadless... sandwich? Really? Why?
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Basic rule of thumb. 40% of calories from protein. 30% each for fat and carbs. Use the protein and fat as minimums. Once you reach that, you can fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you like. Again, that is a generic baseline and your individual goals may be different, just a starting point.

Not necessary to eat 40% of your calories from protein. It's advisable to not set your intake based on calorie percentages either. Why would my protein needs change if I'm eating 1800 calories versus my current 2200? So why would I need to eat 180g (which is way waaaay more than I need ever) at 1800 calories or 220g of protein at 2200 calories (which is like, almost double what I eat now)? Especially if I weigh the same eating both cal numbers?

Much more reasonable to base macro goals on your weight - lbm or lbs/kg.

Again, for some one just starting out, I believe its a good starting point. YMMV. Obviously everyone has different goal, as I clearly stated.

For someone just starting out there is no need to even bother with monitoring macros. If someone is starting out and has specific body composition or fitness goals from the get-go, then they will already be aware (through looking for the answers in forums or through other searches) of how they should set their macros for their specific stats and goals.

I would agree with that, however the OP asked about macro monitoring.
    And the random % ratio you gave isn't really helpful since it's not evben remotely specific to OP's stats, nor is the high protein % necessary unless eating like 1200 cals.
  • prattiger65
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good luck OP
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Maybe I won't eat it unless I can measure it accurately..we have jars of it at work..

Ive been trying to eat more fish latel for protein and I actually have turkey for lunch today! So I think I'm on the right track there.

I'll have to switch my non fat yogurt to Greek with maybe frozen berries..and maybe make Breadless sandwiches too.. and I think that will help.

I was wondering that too. What exactly is a breadless sandwich?
    Sandwich stuff slapped between two bits of lettuce perhaps??

• ana3067
    Options

That's just a sad salad :p
    Only time I do a breadless version of something is when I am out of gluten-free bread!
  • shawndimantha
    Options
    Well according to this book we should just be comfortable eating saturated fat / red meat, and avoiding carbohydrates, ala Atkins; esp. if the goal is weight loss
  • gusinott
    gusinott Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Interesting blog on MFP on carb/fat/protein ratio.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

We all have different goals, needs, challenges, etc., and should go with what works for us individually. Some good tips have been provided above for you (and the rest of us). I'm personally vying for a lower carb% and higher protein% at the moment, for weight loss, while still closely monitoring fat intake (and sodium, for health reasons, although healthier eating and more exercise have already helped lower my BP). I'll take bits and pieces of advice given here to ensure success. Once I reach my weight-loss goal, I'm going to try switching it up AGAIN to further increase muscle mass. Any sound advice for this will be appreciated.

Good luck on your mission! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Basic rule of thumb. 40% of calories from protein. 30% each for fat and carbs. Use the protein and fat as minimums. Once you reach that, you can fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you like. Again, that is a generic baseline and your individual goals may be different, just a starting point.

Not here. I'm 35/35/30. This is really dependent on the individuals goals.
    OP, if you're under on your calories, you're fine.
  • prattiger65
    edited February 2015
    Options
    it all depends on your individual goals.
  • Aresende90
    Aresende90 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Yes! Using cucumber or lettuce wraps
  • ana3067
    Options
    Well according to this book we should just be comfortable eating saturated fat / red meat, and avoiding carbohydrates, ala Atkins; esp. if the goal is weight loss

Yeah, well. According to this book measles are good and children should be happy to have the measles.

amazon.com/dp/1466938897/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk