Under Armour Acquires MyFitnessPal

Options
Under Armour Acquires Endomondo and MyFitnessPal to Establish the World's Largest Digital Health and Fitness Community Brand will expand its Connected Fitness portfolio to include more than 120 million global users and advances mission to create the ultimate digital fitness community. Source: http://www.uabiz.com/

If our very own MFP is one of the same, maybe just maybe it's time to get the credit card out, I can't see this will be free for much longer.

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I read this news earlier and was checking the forums for a thread. Found one elsewhere and commented there as well that I actually think this sounds good in my opinion.

I use MapMyFitness to record my various workouts (and not have to rely on external apps to capture the data and sync). I use MyFitnessPal here to track my calories (love how easy that is). I have never used Endomondo but sounds like it is a great route tracking/sharing tool.

If I could get all of that in one single app, even better. If the popups got too annoying, at least I would only have to upgrade one app instead of three.
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @grimmeanor - How they got to that valuation I'll never know, I've always found MFP buggy and a PITA to be honest. Anyway it is, what it is and congrats to the founders who wrote the code in their spare time. It's a nice pay day for what they've done. I'll be looking for an alternative and lets see where MFP is in a year from now.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So they're currently saying that Endomondo will operate as a wholly owned subsiduary, really hope there isn't a move to merge it with MMF. Endomondo is far superior. Interesting move though, MMF gives them user base, Endomondo gives them superior functionality.

Hopefuly the data integration will improve.
  • SkinnyCat39
    SkinnyCat39 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The beginning of the end yep.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    MapMyFitness is one of the most inaccurate apps I have ever used. It consistently overreports your burn on a walk as well as the distance. If you get in touch with them about this, the workaround to fix it is so complex, it's not worth doing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'd be worried, but real talk, after everything we've seen with the "upgrades" over the past 6 months, can anything actually get worse?
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I find the MFP Android app. to be terribly slow and nearly unusable, but I love the website (and I like how RunKeeper plugs in). :+1: for a premium ad-free subscription version! :smiley:
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Another App my family uses, Meet Mobile (a meet results app), was bought out by Active, and they went from free to a $7 yearly subscription. We thought, that's reasonable, until we found out that it is per device! UGH. So for us that would be 4 phones (after all, the kids want to see their splits, and placements going into finals!) plus iPads if we want it on those, and if we change phones, pay again...
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    UA gave me free shoes after they purchased Mapmyfitness. If mfp and mmf are one I'm thinking it may just make my life easier. Or the same.
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm on an EXTREMELY fixed income...$35 a month from Medicaid. I recognize I'm in the minority here, but I can't afford a paid MFP. Would be happy to put up with more ads if
    it kept MFP free. JMHO.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Of the half assed coding this forum is an example of.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it might be time to build an alternate site to adopt all the orphans when MFP starts charging.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

at least they'll have access to competent developers now.

dbmata wrote: »

Of the half assed coding this forum is an example of.

lol, yep exactly.
  • talprofs
    talprofs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think the key to MFP's success to date has comprised (i) extensive user-driven food databases with calorific and nutritional values; (ii) a solid (albeit not perfect) algorithm to calculate calorie consumption; and (iii) cross-platform integration with an extensive range of third-party fitness apps and trackers — eg FitBit, Garmin Connect, Microsoft Health, Jawbone UP, Withings, etc

For these reasons, I have always sought to ensure that the fitness trackers/apps I use integrate with MFP.

The €475m acquisition of MFP by Under Armour(UA), and related acquisitions of Endomondo ($85m) and MapMyFitness (MMF), will inevitably lead to consolidation. This means it is very likely that that MFP may have a reduced offering in the future.

UA has already developed its own sports tracker bundle: Armour 39 (A39), which includes an iPhone/iOS-only app. Both Endomondo and MMF provide apps for iOS and Android, as does FitBit — although, significantly, FitBit has been shut-out from participating in the development of Apple's HealthKit fitness tracking system because it (FitBit) will not abandon its Android platforms. Apple also sees FitBit as a major competitor.

UA's major competitors are Nike and adidas - both big players in professional sports apparel and coaching programmes, and being top of this class must surely be UA's goal.

The adidas micoach training system is also a recent addition to the MFP stable of third-party integrated apps.

Something has got to give.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Under Armour Acquires Endomondo and MyFitnessPal to Establish the World's Largest Digital Health and Fitness Community Brand will expand its Connected Fitness portfolio to include more than 120 million global users and advances mission to create the ultimate digital fitness community. Source: http://www.uabiz.com/

If our very own MFP is one of the same, maybe just maybe it's time to get the credit card out, I can't see this will be free for much longer.

To me it sounds like, basically forget about privacy at all, all your contacts belong to us kind of thing. Which, I guess, silver lining, is free, so...
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yeah, who's the product etc. plus clothes i guess

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2880312/under-armour-buys-two-fitness-apps-builds-trove-of-health-data.html

Combined with the fitness services it already owns, Under Armour says the deals give it access to “the world’s largest digital health and fitness community,” with 120 million registered users. And the more people log and share what they do, the more Under Armour will learn about them.

“It’s a piece in the puzzle toward having a total picture of the athlete,” said Kevin Plank, Under Armour’s CEO, in a conference call Wednesday. That includes how much they sleep and exercise, what they put in their body and their nutrition needs, he said.

In today’s data-driven economy that could be some very valuable data, and it steps up the competition with rivals such as Nike, as well as a myriad of technology firms tackling digital health.

Under Armor hopes to use the information to expand sales of its clothing, hiking shoes and other products. It “provides an opportunity to build long-term relationships with consumers, and ultimately we think we’re going to sell a lot more shirts and shoes,” Plank said.

Endomondo could help it grow its sales overseas, too, where more than three-quarters of the app’s 20 million users reside.

Under Armour already operates an online health and fitness network called Record, where people can store data from popular devices like the Fitbit and Jawbone. It also owns the workout app MapMyFitness, which it bought in 2013. Those existing offerings have 31 million registered users, so the acquisitions will increase the number fourfold.

It wasn’t clear how many of those are active, regular users, and the company didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Under Armour will have to be careful how it makes use of all that data. Government regulators have already signaled that they have concerns about how health data is used and shared with third parties for marketing purposes.
  • FitBitter
    FitBitter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do I have to purchase the premium Endomondo for it to sync with MFP? I have the free version and it's not connecting. I setup the connection up through the endomondo website as suggested.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Under Armour Acquires Endomondo and MyFitnessPal to Establish the World's Largest Digital Health and Fitness Community Brand will expand its Connected Fitness portfolio to include more than 120 million global users and advances mission to create the ultimate digital fitness community.

What, seriously?

:disappointed:

That is not a company I trust. Time to find an alternative....
  • benpoepen
    benpoepen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When a service is free, then you're the product that's been sold.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    “It’s a piece in the puzzle toward having a total picture of the athlete,” said Kevin Plank, Under Armour’s CEO, in a conference call Wednesday. That includes how much they sleep and exercise, what they put in their body and their nutrition needs, he said.

Sooo glad I've never synched my fitbit with MFP.

Can't sell me shoes. I work out at home in my slippers, dammit, and that ain't changing.