The best protein

Options

Replies

• Brimixed
    Brimixed Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've always loved Vega! It's plant based so a little different from the other types of protein that's out there. I am hooked on the vanilla chai right now! :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I like Eidopro's Unflavored Protein Powder (I get it off of Amazon). I put it in my tea and peanut butter, so I can boost my protein numbers.

I can't handle the taste of traditional protein powders. The artificial sugary taste makes me gag.
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me it comes down to quality vs $. Most of the commercialized protein powders u find on the shelves in retail stores have relatively low protein content per serving size. It says "25g per serving!!!" But the serving size may be 30g to even 40g. Then they fill the rest with things you don't need, more fat, more carbs/sugar to make it taste better. Most of them equal less than 60% protein for top $. Waste of money. I use MYPROTEIN it had a much higher protein content at 75% +. And the unflavored has even more 95% (20g protein per 25g scoop) 1.5g fat, 0 carb 100 cal). 5 lb bag is $60. Then I add my flavoring a like berries, cocoa, peanut butter whatever. It comes down to personal preference. If u don't mind spending your hard earned $ on low quality protein just for it to taste better then by all means... Find something that agrees with your stomach and your wallet. Good luck
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For me it comes down to quality vs $. Most of the commercialized protein powders u find on the shelves in retail stores have relatively low protein content per serving size. It says "25g per serving!!!" But the serving size may be 30g to even 40g. Then they fill the rest with things you don't need, more fat, more carbs/sugar to make it taste better. Most of them equal less than 60% protein for top $. Waste of money. I use MYPROTEIN it had a much higher protein content at 75% +. And the unflavored has even more 95% (20g protein per 25g scoop) 1.5g fat, 0 carb 100 cal). 5 lb bag is $60. Then I add my flavoring a like berries, cocoa, peanut butter whatever. It comes down to personal preference. If u don't mind spending your hard earned $ on low quality protein just for it to taste better then by all means... Find something that agrees with your stomach and your wallet. Good luck

Or more to the point just don't waste your money period. I only tend to drink a shake in the morning bevause I don't have time to fix breakfast and I'm not a big breakfast eater either. Most people get more than enough so it just goes to carbs anyway. If I had my choice I wouldn't buy any protien powder but I do it out of convenience.
  • allenbrowning
    edited February 2015
    Options

Or more to the point just don't waste your money period. I only tend to drink a shake in the morning bevause I don't have time to fix breakfast and I'm not a big breakfast eater either. Most people get more than enough so it just goes to carbs anyway. If I had my choice I wouldn't buy any protien powder but I do it out of convenience.

I agree. Protein powder is over commercialized. I do however use it in recipes to make great snacks and breakfast foods. Like you said typically everyone get enough protein daily. 1-1.5g per body weight is easily achieved, unless you're Kia Greene, haha. For some it's easier to down a shake with a busy schedule there's no harm in that. I do that occasionally just to fill the macros if I'm deficient.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

@allenbrowning‌ do you have any issues with bloating with the MyProtein? I looked at it and it would be more economical for me to purchase this protein. But the protein powder I use is unflavored and doesn't give me any stomach issues.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Best protein for me, chicken. Mmmmmmmm chicken.

AND steak!

Seriously though, it's personal preference. I like ON 100% casein and PHD whey but all the big sites do sample packs, they're about £1 here so maybe 1 or 2 $, so you could try some before shelling out.
  • craigjmorton
    craigjmorton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try Musclemilk. The flavours are good, it mixes well (doesn't clump) and you can drink it with either water or skimmed milk.
  • allenbrowning
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

@allenbrowning‌ do you have any issues with bloating with the MyProtein? I looked at it and it would be more economical for me to purchase this protein. But the protein powder I use is unflavored and doesn't give me any stomach issues.

I haven't had any issues but that's not to say u won't. Everyone's body is different as u know. I say give it a shot. Not sure where u live but in the US it's less than $60 shipped. us.myprotein.com
  • allenbrowning
    Options

Yes!!! Best source of protein for sure.
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Wait, you actually LIKE chicken!? I eat it, but it's so bland that I have to add a bunch to it. My top three:

3.)Steak
    2.)Fish (any type really, but probably salmon)
    1.)Lamb
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »

Wait, you actually LIKE chicken!? I eat it, but it's so bland that I have to add a bunch to it. My top three:

3.)Steak
    1.)Lamb

Are you seasoning the chicken correctly? B/c chicken is GOOD! Like really good!

And you guys are definitely forgetting one of the best sources of protein: bacon! Life without bacon, is no life at all!
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

I haven't had any issues but that's not to say u won't. Everyone's body is different as u know. I say give it a shot. Not sure where u live but in the US it's less than $60 shipped. us.myprotein.com

Thanks! I compared the ingredients to the protein I use, and it's the exact same thing. Only MyProtein is cheaper. I'm so happy I saw your post
  • bodyfuelnutritionllc
    Options
    What is the best protein powder? And pre workout

Beat pre is 5% nutrition. It long lasting and taste good too!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

3.)Steak
    1.)Lamb

Elk is a good addition to that list. It's mild like beef but less fat and more protein than chicken plus the grass fed elk has omega 3 FA.
  • allenbrowning
    Options

3.)Steak
    1.)Lamb

Elk is a good addition to that list. It's mild like beef but less fat and more protein than chicken plus the grass fed elk has omega 3 FA.

$ per lb vs chicken? My guess it's way more expensive...
  • allenbrowning
    Options

Thanks! I compared the ingredients to the protein I use, and it's the exact same thing. Only MyProtein is cheaper. I'm so happy I saw your post

Awesome glad to help. Let me know what u think