Jogging in Ohio

Options
samanthabratton2015
samanthabratton2015 Posts: 35 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
These boots aren't made for walking...in snow

It's hard to image my summer body when I wake up to 2 inches of snow, the struggle of motivation in the winter can sometimes be impossible but thanks to good old Pinterest and MFP I can look past the desert of this winter wonder horror and see a tropical beach and my beach bum...fit..oh yeah

But FIRST! Some general questions I have for my fellow snowmen and women out there.

Do you guys run much in the snow? and how?
I ask how because I tried to run once...once. I fell and walked home shameless as the kids in the neighboring yard snickered at me, but I didn't blame them, the fall was priceless.

Can I jog in place in my own home effectively?
I love jogging in place, and I'm dang good at it, I'm always a winner ;-) but I have heard fitness rumors that it's not effective and it doesn't have much cardio purposes.

So I would love to hear your advice in surviving the white scary stuff in the sky when all I want to think about is suuuummmmmerrrr

I am also pleased to add that the cat has agreed (forced) to diet with me! Isn't that just peaches..
So here are her current stats
CW: 13.8lbs
GW: 10.5lbs

Now this is all doctor recommended and I can just tell she's super excited to be helping me out.. Mm

za05k1tp0qgu.jpg

Today I tried to get her to do some kitty crunches with me, but she proceeded to bite my arm and run away, but plus side, she was huffing and puffing from the struggle so we may stick with some kitty wrestling.

Note to self
Put cat in laundry room while jogging in place, the noises excite her and she attacks legs and they bleed...all over new socks

Good luck all, keep pushing and wanting it, me and cat wish you all well!
With love,
xoxo

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    As to the running in place... By use of a heart rate monitor, I know that my heart rate when walking briskly (treadmill 4.0) is a little higher than my most aggressive running in place heart rate. So my conclusion: running in place IS cardio but its not as much work for the body as brisk walking. And therefore its also much less intense than running.

But its convenient - but be sure and stretch your calves. I learned that one the hard way!

Sorry, no help on the snow. I live in the South!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Love the gratuitous cat photo. :D

I don't live in an especially cold place, but I would never run in the snow. A knee or foot injury can set you back thousands of dollars and a great deal of lost workout time.

Join a gym or get a treadmill.
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    Thanks girls, a heart monitor is a great tool and I probably need to invest into one for sure! Sadly I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest gym is 45 miles away, it's a bit of a distance to work out. Treadmill is defiantly on my list, this place is small so there is no where for it to fit but the old man and cat our moving in spring to a bigger place so yessss...

Thanks ladies, great deal of help :-)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you and your cat. I've just noticed that MFP puts jogging in place on par with running a 12.5 minute mile (and I think that's roughly 97 calories for 10 minutes for me?), which seems very high. But it's better than no cardio at all!

For the cat, do you not have a laser pointer?
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    Oh goodness your right! Hey thanks I didn't know that, and yes I have one but cat has gotten bored of it, she just watches it. I think she got so tuckered out by it before where it's to the point she just chooses not to have fun over the constant exercise.. So it's time to take it up a notch with her lol
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm down in central Ohio so we've had a bit milder winter than up near the lake (I'm guessing that's where you are). You've already said that you're a bit far from a gym and a good treadmill is expensive. I would suggest just walking when there's snow on the ground. It still gets you outside and depending on how deep the snow is it can actually provide a little bit of resistance. You can also do some high intensity cardio at home. I know pinterest has lots of workout plans. Good luck!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Is your problem that the snow is too deep to run through? Or that you are slipping on a thinner, hardpack snow/ice layer? The answer to the first is snowshoes; the answer to the second is YakTrax.

Lake (Michigan) effect-tested and approved.
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    I live in a town that is rarely plowed, I actually live in northwest Ohio, it's been okay out but today we got hit the snow here is really packed so it sure walking in the snow is great resistance! I have a small yard and the side walks are covered! On the roads it's really thin ice, so slippery that I can't run on!

Thank you ladies for your responses! Much appreciation!
    Tomorrow I'm going to try to walk more in the snow
  • reginab1984
    reginab1984 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've never had problems running in snow, and don't have any special shoes for it. Although I was kicked out of a park one time while running in the snow because they were closing it down...due to the snow.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I like you
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    I've never had problems running in snow, and don't have any special shoes for it. Although I was kicked out of a park one time while running in the snow because they were closing it down...due to the snow.

Did you run on the road? I don't know why but I cannot get the hang of it, I'm so focused on not falling I can't focus on what I'm doing. And wow, your a trooper, running in the snow when even the park was closing down, damn. I need your motivation lol :-)
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    I like you

I'm liking you too :-)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    NE Ohio here, I haven't run outside for a month. I will occasionally run in fresh snow but not in the built up icy stuff we have been having.

For a much lower cost then a treadmill, look for a rebounder. It is like a mini trampoline.
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    Oh I've heard of those! Can I find that at like Walmart? I don't have to go to a special store right? Thanks for the advice!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Probably available at Walmart.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    You could also try a Leslie S. walking video. No equipment required for most, but it could help to increase your burn from simply jogging in place. You may be able to check them out from your local library.
  • reginab1984
    reginab1984 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Did you run on the road? I don't know why but I cannot get the hang of it, I'm so focused on not falling I can't focus on what I'm doing. And wow, your a trooper, running in the snow when even the park was closing down, damn. I need your motivation lol :-)

Yep, ran on the road. There were icy patches on that particular occasion, but they quickly got covered up with the powdery stuff that was falling, and it actually started to feel like running on sand.

I ran a half marathon in 30 something degree weather and freezing rain last year. Good times.

sv4sd41vw7xj.jpg

• bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Logged 11 hours last month walking outside, live in northeast Ohio in a rural area. I wear a beat up old pair of asics and insulated socks.
  • samanthabratton2015
    Options
    Thanks guys! I actually have heard of that Leslie DVD my mom uses it and she says she gets a killer workout from it! And Regina, that's so cool, I tried to run this morning on the roads a bit but our small town hasn't been plowed and its a bit too slippery! But I ran/jogged in the snow on the sidewalks (or what I could make out as sidewalks) and it wasn't too bad! Just cooooollllldddd

Thanks you guys! Wishing everyone luck!
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I live in Ohio and I never run on fresh snow. If there is still some snow on the ground a few days later I will run on it, but be very careful when I do so. Majority of this winter I have been using the treadmill at the gym and plan to start running outdoors in spring. Good luck!