What fitness tracker/band do you use and why?

Options
My friends/family are divided on fitness trackers/bands. Half of them use polar ft4's and polar ft7's and the other half use fitbit's. They all absolutely love what they use. I want to get a fitness tracker/band mostly to see the actual calories burned during a workout. So what do you use and why? Is there something it doesn't do and you wish it did?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit every day to track daily activity and walks and put on my polar ft4 HRM when I workout

My fitbit connects to MFP

My polar HRM readings I enter in MFP

Works for me
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I also use the fitbit.

I have the Charge. I use a Polar FT4 for cardio days at the gym. I don't have mine connected to MFP. I keep them separate but I do use the calories the fitbit gives me for MFP.
  • Burrr3Three
    Burrr3Three Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I also use the fitbit.

I have the Charge. I use a Polar FT4 for cardio days at the gym. I don't have mine connected to MFP. I keep them separate but I do use the calories the fitbit gives me for MFP.

Why do you use the polar at the gym? Is that because on the charge you can't set it for a specific time when your working out?
  • Burrr3Three
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I use a fitbit every day to track daily activity and walks and put on my polar ft4 HRM when I workout

Works for me

So the fitbit is more for steps and sleep right?
  • louie61403
    louie61403 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wear a fitbit all day for the pedometer. It was a Christmas present from the hubby and I didn't really ask for it.

I wear my Polar FT7 at the gym.

I did a lot of research and what I found was if you didn't have a heart rate monitor strap for your fitness tracker, it wasn't really an accurate burn for your calories. So, I was thinking about getting the Garmin VivoFit simply because it does both. It's a pedometer like the fitbit and you can buy a HRM strap like the Polar. ....... But then hubby got the fitbit and I couldn't bring myself to hurt his feelings so I just wear the fitbit throughout the day.

The fitbit app is very user friendly, tracks your sleep and will connect with MFP and other apps. I like it. I have the Charge so it also tells time and you can see how many steps you've taken at any time without syncing to the app. I really like that feature over the Flex. I didn't pick it out but it's an added bonus :)
  • louie61403
    louie61403 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Works for me

Now - I have a question for you. Do you keep the fitbit on during your workout? I ask because I always look around and wonder if anyone thinks I look stupid wearing a fitbit AND my polar watch at the same time. I'm probably just self conscious but it crosses my mind lol. I hate to take off the fitbit because I feel like I'm losing the steps if I do. I worry too much about this stuff!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    louie61403 wrote: »

Works for me

Now - I have a question for you. Do you keep the fitbit on during your workout? I ask because I always look around and wonder if anyone thinks I look stupid wearing a fitbit AND my polar watch at the same time. I'm probably just self conscious but it crosses my mind lol. I hate to take off the fitbit because I feel like I'm losing the steps if I do. I worry too much about this stuff!

Yes I do

I used to use a flex but downgraded to a zip which is less obtrusive and I don't need to track sleep.

Initially I'd be wearing a flex, polar watch and locker key round my wrist LOL...now I just use my zip on my waistband and my watch on my wrist (padlock for the locker)
  • Burrr3Three
    Options
    louie61403 wrote: »
    I wear a fitbit all day for the pedometer. It was a Christmas present from the hubby and I didn't really ask for it.

I wear my Polar FT7 at the gym.

I did a lot of research and what I found was if you didn't have a heart rate monitor strap for your fitness tracker, it wasn't really an accurate burn for your calories. So, I was thinking about getting the Garmin VivoFit simply because it does both. It's a pedometer like the fitbit and you can buy a HRM strap like the Polar. ....... But then hubby got the fitbit and I couldn't bring myself to hurt his feelings so I just wear the fitbit throughout the day.

The fitbit app is very user friendly, tracks your sleep and will connect with MFP and other apps. I like it. I have the Charge so it also tells time and you can see how many steps you've taken at any time without syncing to the app. I really like that feature over the Flex. I didn't pick it out but it's an added bonus :)

Thank you! :)
    That's what I was thinking that a chest strap is more accurate, but I kept seeing all this trackers without them. I'm leaning towards a polar with chest strap.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I just got a jawbone up24 about a week ago, and I really like it so far. It's not so much for the calories burned since I Know that's likely inaccurate, but I like that it imports my food from MFP and that it tracks my steps and sleep. My sleep schedule is really wacked so it's nice to see how much deep/light sleep I get etc. It's just more of a good reminder to keep active. I plan to get a HRM as a reward once I hit like 20 or 30 lbs lost.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use a One (Fitbit) and I'm very happy with it. I don't wear a watch, and like that I can clip it on my waistband/pocket/etc. It has been a good motivator for me. Has the features I want (step count, calorie estimation, etc.) My husband uses a Polar Loop which pairs with a Polar HRM during workouts. It is water proof, wrist warn and designed for tracking more types of activity than just running/walking.

Do your research. Not all products are the same, and like a good pair of running shoes: what is great for me might be a terrible fit for you.

No activity tracker will be 100% on calories burned. Even the ones that work with a HRM can only attest to more accuracy during cardio. I'd assume a 5-10% error rate, and then judge by your results. Now that I'm in maintenance I've found I need to eat at/above my Fitbit burn. For the last few months of mostly eating at or just below, I've dropped 2 pounds below my intended bottom #.
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and I love it.
  • kellyswanholm
    kellyswanholm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Fitbit Flex for about 3 weeks and really like it! I didn't want to overspend right now on a device with too many features. I have had others in the past with HRMs, but I like the Flex for now. :)
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    I have the Vivofit. It was a gift from my personal trainer -- and I LOVE it!!!!
  • Burrr3Three
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :)
    I definitely think an HRM with a cheat strap might be the right fit for me now. I'm primarily interested in calories burned during workouts only.
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP24. I like it better than the Fitibit because it is slimmer and more stylish and the charge lasts longer. However, it does not have a display, so you need to sync it with a smartphone to see your stats. I love mine so far!
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the vivofit & love it.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin forerunner 15, I needed a run watch and basically found out by accident that it also had all the fitness tracking goodness in it. It was a very cool found feature. If you are a runner I definitely recommend it, it's basically like a vivo fit and a GPS runwatch had a baby.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I wear both a Jawbone UP and a Fitbit Charge HR. I got the UP for NYE last year (mostly for steps/sleep), and this year I upgraded to the Fitbit and am currently doing a head-to-head (or wrist-to-wrist!) comparison. So far I prefer the Charge HR; it's more watch-like and comfortable (the UP gets caught in purse straps, grocery bags, etc...) I also like that it gives me a specific user interface to get the information, instead of making me reach for my phone. Plus the Charge HR has bluetooth/caller ID, so you can mute your phone, walk into meetings, and surreptitiously see who is calling without disturbing the other attendees. :)
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit. I've had the Fitbit Ultra for the last couple of years, and it really helped me out when I was climbing a lot of stairs at work. I was really struggling to stay under my calorie goals with a regular step counter, because I was starving all the time. I realized the stepper wasn't accounting for all the calories I was burning climbing stairs. Got the fitbit, and finally started eating the right amount of calories and losing weight. But I also started using a Polar HRM during workouts.

Now, I had put the Fitbit away quite a while back and just started using it again a few weeks ago. Then, I lost it! So, I just bought a Fitbit One. No, I mean I literally just bought it. I've just set it up, and can't wait to see tomorrow how it compares to my old Ultra!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I use a One (Fitbit) and I'm very happy with it. I don't wear a watch, and like that I can clip it on my waistband/pocket/etc. It has been a good motivator for me. Has the features I want (step count, calorie estimation, etc.) My husband uses a Polar Loop which pairs with a Polar HRM during workouts. It is water proof, wrist warn and designed for tracking more types of activity than just running/walking.

Do your research. Not all products are the same, and like a good pair of running shoes: what is great for me might be a terrible fit for you.

No activity tracker will be 100% on calories burned. Even the ones that work with a HRM can only attest to more accuracy during cardio. I'd assume a 5-10% error rate, and then judge by your results. Now that I'm in maintenance I've found I need to eat at/above my Fitbit burn. For the last few months of mostly eating at or just below, I've dropped 2 pounds below my intended bottom #.

Yes, so true. As much as I love my Fitbit, the features I love may mean nothing to you.