What fitness tracker/band do you use and why?

Options

Replies

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    oh, word to the wise. I had a friend who was having issues with her Withings tracker, and called them up to get it repaired. Turns out that sweating on it voided the warranty because it wasn't technically a "waterproof" model. She wore the thing on the elliptical at the gym, not in the Death Valley Ironman. We looked into it when she was deciding on a new one, and you'd be surprised how many of them have the same fine print. Whatever one you get, it might be smart to make sure it's explicitly waterproof, if you plan on sweating during your workouts.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well I'll be alone here, but I don't use one. I definitely don't think they are necessary, although I'm sure they are useful. I don't use one because I'm cheap, I'm lazy, and I'm low maintenance. Easier for me to just use a TDEE calculator to estimate my needs and adjust up/down as necessary lol. Plus HRM/etc aren't really beneficial for lifting, which is my primary form of exercise.
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been questioning the same thing. I keep coming back to the garmin because of the HRM w it.
  • heathbilly
    heathbilly Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    wahoo HB monitor + endomondo = win win
  • Burrr3Three
    Burrr3Three Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    heathbilly wrote: »

What's endomondo?
  • chsbulldogs92
    chsbulldogs92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bodymedia Link and a Polar RC3GPS for running/gym. Also use Virgin Pulse Max 3.0 for work related health program where we can earn up to $125/quarter by wearing it or a compatible device. Of course my Bodymedia band is not a compatible device. Saving up for a Fitbit Charge HR with money I earn via the work program.
  • asa9841
    asa9841 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anyone else use a Nike fuel band SE?
  • allenar22
    Options
    I went to Best Buy with the intent of buying a polar ft4 but left empty handed. While waiting on my husband i began to read the packaging and found this quote on the bottom " this product had been made with materials known to cause cancer in the state of California". I'm good with out wearing a device on my hot sweaty skin while it absorbs cancer causing compounds. To each his own.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    allenar22 wrote: »
    I went to Best Buy with the intent of buying a polar ft4 but left empty handed. While waiting on my husband i began to read the packaging and found this quote on the bottom " this product had been made with materials known to cause cancer in the state of California". I'm good with out wearing a device on my hot sweaty skin while it absorbs cancer causing compounds. To each his own.

Good to know the ingredients only cause cancer in California.

The warning is there because California has different regulations than other states, afaik.
  • Burrr3Three
    Options
    Bodymedia Link and a Polar RC3GPS for running/gym. Also use Virgin Pulse Max 3.0 for work related health program where we can earn up to $125/quarter by wearing it or a compatible device. Of course my Bodymedia band is not a compatible device. Saving up for a Fitbit Charge HR with money I earn via the work program.

Getting extra money for getting healthy and fit, that's a good incentive! I wish my employers offered that.
  • shawndimantha
    Options
    I use the Fitbit Flex, have had it for just over a year. My main complaint is that charging every 4-5 days is a pain, esp. since the charger is horrible (you have to put it in a weird position, hold it down, etc.). It has really changed my behavior, I consistently get 10K steps+ on weekdays, and walk places more.

I also have a Misfit Flash, which was given to me by my insurance company (I get $1 in Amazon gift card rewards for every 10K daily step goal I hit). I like it because it serves as an analog clock, and it is also cheaper ($49) than usual bands. My main gripe is the tracker has to be warn skin tight to your wrist, as it does not sit very securely in the holder (no lock-in). I like it because I can also clip it to my shoes when biking and get credit for that, which is harder with the FitBit.

Both track sleep, but I never do that, it is hard to sleep with them on...
  • heathbilly
    edited February 2015
    Options

What's endomondo?

Look it up in the market of your smart phone. It is a great app for runners. also works for other exercises. It will sync with your HR monitor.

BTW if you pay for premium it really has great running plans, I am currently doing a half marathon training program. Ends in March.
    I am averaging 45-50 miles a week now. Have lost more than 30 pounds and feeling great.
  • heathbilly
    Options
    For running, anything worn on your wrist will likely give you a bad reading. The constant moving of your arms will make it malfunction. Chest HR monitors is the way to go. some havve intternal memories or will sync with your phone. It depends what phone you have.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to earn $ with activity trackers. Not enough to retire, but a little extra motivation.
    • Pact (app for Android, iPhone) <--I earn $4 or so per week, have withdrawn over $200 in the past year but I do have a high commitment level; if you do not meet your commitment - you pay instead of earn
    • Shop Your Way Rewards <--good if you shop Sears, Kmart or can be used to order a CD, movie and just pay s/h
    • Walgreens
    • Many insurance plans
    • Achievemint.com <--I've earned $100; waiting on the 2nd $50 payout now

Those are the ones I can think of...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    UP 24, because I liked the way it looked. Plus the whole 'how long you sleep thing'.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Up3... It seems to do everything I want.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Getting extra money for getting healthy and fit, that's a good incentive! I wish my employers offered that.

I actually had to get permission from my boss to wear my fitbit, because any "jewelry" violates the uniform policy.
  • Burrr3Three
    Options
    I use the Fitbit Flex, have had it for just over a year. My main complaint is that charging every 4-5 days is a pain, esp. since the charger is horrible (you have to put it in a weird position, hold it down, etc.). It has really changed my behavior, I consistently get 10K steps+ on weekdays, and walk places more.

I also have a Misfit Flash, which was given to me by my insurance company (I get $1 in Amazon gift card rewards for every 10K daily step goal I hit). I like it because it serves as an analog clock, and it is also cheaper ($49) than usual bands. My main gripe is the tracker has to be warn skin tight to your wrist, as it does not sit very securely in the holder (no lock-in). I like it because I can also clip it to my shoes when biking and get credit for that, which is harder with the FitBit.

Both track sleep, but I never do that, it is hard to sleep with them on...

I like that it can clip to your shoes for biking! :)
  • Burrr3Three
    Options
    There are lots of ways to earn $ with activity trackers. Not enough to retire, but a little extra motivation.
    • Pact (app for Android, iPhone) <--I earn $4 or so per week, have withdrawn over $200 in the past year but I do have a high commitment level; if you do not meet your commitment - you pay instead of earn
    • Shop Your Way Rewards <--good if you shop Sears, Kmart or can be used to order a CD, movie and just pay s/h
    • Walgreens
    • Many insurance plans
    • Achievemint.com <--I've earned $100; waiting on the 2nd $50 payout now

Those are the ones I can think of...

I like the concept, to keep you accountable :)
  • Burrr3Three
    Options

What's endomondo?

Look it up in the market of your smart phone. It is a great app for runners. also works for other exercises. It will sync with your HR monitor.

BTW if you pay for premium it really has great running plans, I am currently doing a half marathon training program. Ends in March.
    I am averaging 45-50 miles a week now. Have lost more than 30 pounds and feeling great.

Whoa 45-50 miles a week! Get it! Lol I can wait to be able to run too.
    Ill have to check out that app, thanks for the tip. Cross your fingers for me, I soo want to be a runner soon...it seems soo freeing!