Supplements? Legit or money-sucking?

Options
2»

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Nothing specifically for fat burning or weightloss but I take iron with vit c (diagnosed defficiency), ZMA and GABA (sleep and recovery), BCAAs and whey protein (protein supplementation) and creatine. I also use a pre-workout and caffiene from time to time for energy
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless your doctor advises taking a supplement (my husband takes potassium), it's totally a waste of money.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Not fat burning supplements.
    But I do take:

-Grape seed extract and VitC- skin health
    -probiotics- Gut health
    - Bee pollen- Allergies and as a multi vitamin
    - Fish oil and chia seed oil- Omega's
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Long post sorry.
    This is my personal experience with certain supplements and appetite suppressants. I have used a few different ones from a few different companies. I really love a lot of stuff made by Katalyst Nutraceuticals. Their products are sold at Nutri Shops. I love their Joint supplements, their woman vitamin mix called "For Her". I love their Glutamine recovery mix called Glutacor. I also really loved their appetite suppressant Adicor. I really did not care for their supplement called Hypercor which I think was an appetite suppressant/thermogenic.
    The joint supplement is really balanced with glucosamine/chondroitin, and vitamins and minerals, and also contains tumeric to help with inflammation. It has helped my fiance with his lower back, and he can feel a big difference when he takes them every day for a while, and when he stops. They are expensive but really are worth the money.
    The glutacor helps for when you get into doing hard, body stressing workouts. It has a little bit of a salty taste, is vanilla flavored and you can mix it into shakes, or take it as a quick shot in an ounce of milk.
    I noticed a huge difference in my skin when I was taking the "For Her" supplements. You really have to take them for a few months before your skin really shows. I was looking at pictures of myself, and the pics I have from when I was taking the supplements religiously vs after I stopped for several months are crazy. So I am getting back into it. Also my nails are getting flimsy again.
    The appetite suppressants I used here and there. The adicor I only started with one a day in the mornings. They really did help suppress my appetite. I think they were useful in learning how to portion control what I was eating. They helped me from bingeing also in the evenings. They curbed my appetite just enough so that I could eat, but not over eat. I think they may have been discontinued though. I can't seem to find them anywhere, otherwise I would buy them again. I think the main thing in them that worked was the caffeine.
    The hypercor I feel no difference at all on. But maybe that is just me.
    I also love Nature's way supplements. I notice a difference in energy taking them. It is probably all the b vitamins in them. I also take a daily hyaluronic acid liquid formula. It helps with skin too.
  • OnePrincessOnePrince
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the fast, detailed, and honest responses! I'm just beginning my journey, but was once a pretty good athlete so I know that that potential is within me somewhere - I just have to find that thing that makes me want to get up and go!
    For now, I'll stick with my healthy food choices and be happy with slow and steady, especially if it is a change I am making that will last a lifetime! :)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    nutraceuticals!! have heard it all now.
    $$$$$$$$ schluuuurppppppppppp.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    nutraceuticals!! have heard it all now.
    $$$$$$$$ schluuuurppppppppppp.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Supplements and all these weight loss shakes are just Marketing 101. That's it.

Coming from someone who used to take every supplement under the sun, I can tell you first hand, they made NO difference at all. I'm talking about test boosters, fat burners, pre-workouts, etc.

I currently just take the basics- vitamins, creatine and aminos. My wallet thanks me at the end of the day.