Coffee

Options
jldaley09
jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
I love my coffee.. for the taste.. not the caffeine high cause it really relaxes me and not pumps me up. KWIM.. BUT I do NOT want to use artificial sugars not because I don't like the way they taste but because I dont like how unnatural they are. So I have been using regular sugar in my coffee for a while but not measuring it, so today I measured out 2 teaspoons and added the calories in and ugh it was NOT enough. Does anyone have any other suggestions for sweetening my coffee? Maybe I need a smaller cup so the 2 tsp is enough. I have agave nectar I just dont know "how" to add it to my coffee and if its even any good. I really dont know what to do wit that stuff.. and I cant think aobut putting honey in it and I HATE Truvia, or stevia.. it leaves a TERRIBLE taste in my mouth. I usually have only 2 (large) cups of coffee a day, one in the morning and one at night before bed..

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I now use Stevia. It's a natural sweetener and I think it tastes fine. I used to use sugar in coffee , tea, and sprinkled on fruit but now I just use stevia.
  • jldaley09
    Options
    I now use Stevia. It's a natural sweetener and I think it tastes fine. I used to use sugar in coffee , tea, and sprinkled on fruit but now I just use stevia.
    I found stevia leaves a terrible aftertaste to me. I tried it for a while but just didn't like it.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Have you tried using the flavored creamers? That might be something. They are a little high in sugar content, but I find that they taste really good.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't help at all because I drink it black and love the taste of a good cup of coffee by itself. Have you considered weening yourself off the sweetner? I did that in college, it took a while, but it worked.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    OMG! I totally agree with you.. I have to have cream and sugar in it... I did get a smaller coffee mug from a friend for my birthday that I love and it is the perfect ratio of coffee and 3 tsp each of cream and sugar.

It is one thing I refuse to give up!!!!
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    honey is amazing!
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Agave Nectar? It's much, much sweeter than honey but completely unrefined. Still somewhat caloric, but much less so than sugar. I make my daughter's cocoa and such with it and she LOVES it (and she, btw, is the Queen of Sweets).
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Well, the only advice I have is stevia, and you said you hate it, so I don't know what to tell ya.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    and p.s. I'm just like you, but I don't mind stevia. What I refuse to budge on is the cream. I would rather not have coffee at all than have it with skim milk. Blech.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of stevia either but I find that if I mix some skim milk, stevia and a few drops of vanilla extract it gets rid of that after taste for me.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I use two packets of splenda and a tablespoon of liquid coffee creamer. Of course, my "cups" of coffee are about 10 ounces, not 6. That gets it sweet enough for me without adding too many carbs.
  • KatyLynn01
    KatyLynn01 Posts: 19
    Options
    I get a flavored coffee- like Hazelnut, and drink it black. Adding cream or sugar to that takes away from the taste for me. Maybe if you get a sweet type of coffee you will like it black!
  • emcando
    emcando Posts: 48
    Options
    I hope you find a great solution.

I like 1 tsp of sugar. I have also tried turbanato sugar. Contact the companies who make agave nectar and the others. Maybe they will send you a sample. I'm not a fan of any of them. I don't eat sugary foods, so I like it in my coffee.

Maybe try a flavored coffee. French Vanilla or Cinnamon Hazelnut -- whatever works for you.

I also love Land O Lakes Fat Free Half & Half. My old boss drank it for two years in her coffee. She never knew it was Fat Free.
    For us it worked and I know you will find something that works for you as well.

Good luck!

Emily
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It may sound odd, but I used to put brown sugar in my coffee. A smaller amount goes a longer way, though that was way before I started counting calories, so I don't know if it's any better calorie wise. Now I go for a non fat carmel latte from starbucks (though not every day because that gets expensive), and I emailed them (if you see my blog entry about my 30 day self challenge at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Spayrroe, I'm trying to cut out all artificial sweeteners including High Fructose Corn Syrup) to see what's in their syrups, and there's sugar, but no corn syrup products. Maybe you could check out different flavor syrups and see if one of those might work? You can usually buy them at the grocery store.

Good luck :)
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar is what they use to make tequila....so its hard on your liver or so I've read. I stopped using this because I was using as much as I would sugar anyway.

Stevia has been shown to have a negative impact on reproductive organs. I am real sensetive to side effects so I always look everything up. This was almost 3 years ago when I searched about stevia and I was trying to conceive so while I found many articles on whether this was true, I decided the risk wasn't worth it at the time.

Basically I slowly taught myself to like it with just milk. Now I do use 2% but normally used skim. My coffee mug holds 2 cups of coffee, I use about 1/4 cup milk.

I also drink a mild coffee because its more about the smell, sipping a warm mug and taste than caffine. I do treat myself once a week to a real sugar coffee from a coffee place and just count the calories but the milk takes the edge off the bitterness all the other times.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I add 3 or 4 splenda. Splenda is Sucralose which is not dangerous compared to other artificial sweeteners like Equal and Nurtrisweet.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I actually put cinnamon in my coffee - It doesnt' sweeten it but it changes the taste and I add milk and it gives it a totally different coffee experience lol
    Grind the cinnamon right in with the beans or just add a little sprinkle and stir it in - YUM
  • jldaley09
    Options
    Lots of great advice :) For anyone who uses agave, do you warm it first or put it in the hot coffee?
    I do not like SPlenda, I used to use it religiously but read many articles about how it being a sugar alcohol it was not good at all for you and there have been some studies on its effects in the lab on the brain. IDK but I have been trying to go as natural as possible. Maybe I will try a sweetened creamer, although I do like it just plain coffee flavored with sugar and cream. Its just the one thing I cant give up and I am addicted I have severe migraines without it :(
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I'm not a sweet coffee drinker. However, I was a BIG cream in my coffee person, over the years I have learned to use half and half rather than the full cream I used to love, and to use less and less of it. I'm willing to take the calorie hit for a cup of coffee I enjoy. I'd probably switch to tea rather than drink my coffee with skim milk. So if you want sugar in your coffee, figure it out calorie wise so it works into your plan and make sure that you enjoy your coffee with something that has some fat and protein so you're not tripping on the sugar.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Splenda also now has flavor packets (they look like those tubes of water flavor) and I use those. =)