Stretch Marks/Call for help

Options
SaraBelle0312
SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
I guess this was my wake-up call this week. This week I noticed two HUGE stretch marks on my stomach. I've never hard kids and haven't had stretch marks since puberty. I am really disgusted and mostly disappointed in myself, mind you.

Let me explain why. I am the occasional gym rat. I LOVE working out, I'm just NEVER consistent in it. I could be (and have been) SO GREAT about going to the gym and taking care of my health, but these days I'll work out maybe once or twice a month. I always feel so good when i am working out, but I will come up with EVERY excuse in the book to avoid it. And now I have permanent stretch marks because of my inability to stay focused and be determined. Hopefully, now I've hit my low and can only get better. But honestly, I have little faith in myself. I have a TERRIBLE track record of broken promises.

So forum, how do/did you stop breaking your promises to yourself and finally make the permanent changes needed to stick with your plan?

Replies

• Cookie108
    Cookie108 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Been there. I lose my motivation as well and it sucks. I notice it more when my clothes are not fitting and although I can blame the dryer for "shrinking" my clothes, I am very much aware that the reality is that I just need to get on the ball. So I know exactly how you feel. Just stay strong and if you can't find a workout buddy then feel free to add me as your friend and we can push each other for the motivation that we need to get to the gym.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just got tired of feeling fat all the time. There was no surge of motivation or anything like that for me. I was just tired of it. I switched my mindset from "there's no point in trying to lose weight" to "there's no point in NOT trying to lose weight". I told myself that even if it was slow going or going nowhere, at least I was trying, because I had no reason not to, and it's not like NOT trying would benefit me any.
    Yeah... since that point there's been a lot of fluctuation with my weight, but I'm about 40lbs down from my highest weight 2.5 years ago and have never gone that high since then.
  • northlandmum
    northlandmum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I could no longer vacuum pack myself into my jeans. I didn't want to have to go up a size. It was all it took...good luck.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You got one stretch mark I got like twenty. Now it is a daily battle to convince myself to eat better and work out. Maybe you should concentrate more on diet not just excercise.
  • mjm128
    mjm128 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I woke up to find stretch marks on my stomach last month. I am 28 with no kids. That really spurred me on to get back in shape.

The only time that I have ever been consistant in eating well and excersicing regularly is when I am training for something. So the day those stretch marks showed up, was when I signed up for a Half-Marathon. I find this helps because it is no longer I have to lose x amount of weight, it is I have to somehow get my butt across a finish line without dying. It is no longer I have to eat healthy, it is I have to fuel this body to do more and more miles per week. I go from weight loss mode, which is always a losing battle for me, to Training mode. This makes me have a set goal and date I am working twords, with mile stones I have to attain each week, plus a little fear that if I do not put in the work today, I will definitely be in pain later on. So I suggest finding a sport you like and signing up for an event that could be done in 3 or 4 months time.

Also, I find going to the gym/ working out in the morning is great for consistency. I am by no means a morning person. I found when I switched my gym time to the morning, I have been less tired in the morning, more energetic during the day and less likely to skip out.

I hope this helps.

Ps. Coconut oil works wonders on stretch marks. You can use lotion or the kind you cook with.
  • SaraBelle0312
    Options
    These are all great ideas and thanks for being understanding. I think I am finally at that point where I'm truly fed up with the way things are. Now I'll just have to stick to it.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I find motivation to be a fickle companion. She is never around when I need her. Instead I think about all the things I would not do if I waited until I was "motivated" to do them. Like get up before 10:00 AM. Or go grocery shopping. Or pay bills. Or clean the litterbox. I don't do any of these things because I just *feel* like doing them. I do them because they are necessary to achieve and maintain the life I want to live (and keep my cats from killing me in my sleep).

I stopped thinking that taking care of myself was optional. My health and well-being are not just bonuses. Now I schedule workout time. I plan my meals ahead of time as much as I can. And I keep my goals small. I started by telling myself "for one week I will stick to my calories!" One week turned in to two, in to a month, in to several months. Once I started seeing progress, I was hooked.

Last, but not least, I had to accept the facts. I had three options. I could stay fat and miserable. I could get fatter and possibly more miserable. Or I could lose the weight, at whatever pace, and feel better. Not such a difficult decision. :)
  • SaraBelle0312
    Options
    That is a very good point. I just am so tired of seeing myself like this... Can I add you all?
  • dulcemunoz36
    dulcemunoz36 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stay strong, i am starting my healthy lifestyle change AGAIN... its been up and down for 4 years now. I stay focused but then fall off the wagon :-( . I completed a motivation board in January with all my health goals and its sitting the dresser right next to my bed, I find that has help me stay focused and motivated to pack my gym bag for the next day and pack my meals every evening. Being prepared is helping me latetly. Good Luck on your journey.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with an eating disorder for 17 years where I would starve myself and over exercise constantly. I even dropped out of college since I felt exercising for 4 hours was better spent than at school.
    I started eating better, and when I tried to do Insanity this time around, my knees gave out and I now have arthritis caused by my eating disorder. I have two heart problems from malnutrition and it almost took me completely out. It wasn't until I could barely walk, and it occurred to me 'I have starved myself for nearly 2 decades, damaged my body, and I still am not thin'. I ran track and field for years and was working on a scholarship, but the heart problems made it so I couldn't run anymore.
    I have 2 legs that move, 2 arms that swing, a heart that beats, lungs that pull in air, and a soul that wants to live.
    Life was meant to be lived. Nourish your body. Make it the strongest machine possible. It is the body you were given and it can do so much. Take care of it.
  • AlciaMode
    Options
    SaraBell feel free to add me. And here is something that helps motivate me. I go on tumblr and search the fitspo tag. All those toned bodies and motivational quotes usually help me get off my butt and do something. Even if it just ten lunges or a thirty second plank. Something is always better than nothing!
  • AlciaMode
    Options
    and on the stretch marks, man I tried the coco butter lotion and bio oil with zero results. I want to try the scar cream miderma next
  • My_Butt
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    and on the stretch marks, man I tried the coco butter lotion and bio oil with zero results. I want to try the scar cream miderma next

Mederma doesn't work. Don't waste your money or time. I was a cutter and tried every known scar cream/oil and nothing works.
  • AlciaMode
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »

Mederma doesn't work. Don't waste your money or time. I was a cutter and tried every known scar cream/oil and nothing works.

Damn. Womp womp. Good thing that as I am loosing weight the scars are getting lighter
  • My_Butt
    Options
    Im just getting tattoo sleeves since there's nothing to get rid of scars.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Nothing works on getting rid of stretch marks. They are basically scars from inside your body. I read when they are purplish they are still healing and will lighten up, but once they are white they are done and you are stuck with them that way.

http://www.webmd.com/beauty/stretch-marks/stretch-marks

I decided to lose weight when I saw a picture of myself and I thought I looked disgusting. I've seen pictures of myself before and thought I was disgusting looking, but this one hit me hard.
  • shaunsmoot
    shaunsmoot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A POSITIVE ATTITUDE WILL BRING POSITIVE RESULTS!