Enough volume to gain muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Well either way is a bit of a moot point to debate afterwards ;)

Maybe after I hit about 10% bodyfat I will look again at increasing muscle. Right now I am just looking to not lose any.
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have been doing a Sl 5x5 for awhile, but being focused more on the rules only about the last month to 6 weeks. I started lifting at a fair deficit (lost about 20 lbs) and have now increased to about 300 cal over on off days and 400ish on lifting days.

is 3 40-60 minute workouts a week enough strain to be causing muscle growth. I don't mind putting a little fat back on, but I didn't really get quite as lean as I wanted to before feeling like my restricted calories was holding back strength gains. I'm stil lifting pretty light, but it's heavy for me.

I was down to about 148, back up to 155. 5'8" DL 205, squatting 185, Bench 140, press 75 (having the hardest time increasing that) and row 100.

So is this enough strain to encourage muscle growth?

If building muscle mass is what your trying to achieve then you need to be doing 2 things. Eating in a surplus which is what your doing, and focusing on high volume. 5x5 is not considered high volume. 4 sets 12-15 reps of moderate weight 3 exercises per muscle group to get u started. U notice lagging muscles a few months later then you can add more. Higher reps for growth (hypertrophy). Your trying to destroy as many muscle fibers as possible. Lower reps are considered strength training. Genetics also have a role to play. Everyone is different. Depends if you have fast or slow twitch muscle fiber genes
    Have to disagree with that there. You're going into a 15 range then you're venturing into endurance training.

There is nothing wrong with being in an 8-12 range to promote hypertrophy but that does not mean that when won't see muscle grown in the power range. I highly disagree that it's necessary to be in a high range during a bulk.

Compound movements 5x5
    Accessory muscles 3x8-12

Or if you fancy periodization training.

Also, muscle fiber genetics? We all have both fibers and they can be altered through the proper training. We are not limited to one thing.

I understand your point. Forgive my vagueness. I didn't mean that we only have one type of muscle fiber gene. But our bodies, depending on our genetics respond better to certain weight training types depending on fast/slow fibers.

Point being you'll destroy more muscle fibers in the high rep rang low rest period type training. 5x5 are great for compound movements, for overall strength and beginners should always start here. Hypertrophy should be focused with volume.

Nevertheless it comes down to the individual. What works well for one may not work exactly for another
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have been doing a Sl 5x5 for awhile, but being focused more on the rules only about the last month to 6 weeks. I started lifting at a fair deficit (lost about 20 lbs) and have now increased to about 300 cal over on off days and 400ish on lifting days.

is 3 40-60 minute workouts a week enough strain to be causing muscle growth. I don't mind putting a little fat back on, but I didn't really get quite as lean as I wanted to before feeling like my restricted calories was holding back strength gains. I'm stil lifting pretty light, but it's heavy for me.

I was down to about 148, back up to 155. 5'8" DL 205, squatting 185, Bench 140, press 75 (having the hardest time increasing that) and row 100.

So is this enough strain to encourage muscle growth?

If building muscle mass is what your trying to achieve then you need to be doing 2 things. Eating in a surplus which is what your doing, and focusing on high volume. 5x5 is not considered high volume. 4 sets 12-15 reps of moderate weight 3 exercises per muscle group to get u started. U notice lagging muscles a few months later then you can add more. Higher reps for growth (hypertrophy). Your trying to destroy as many muscle fibers as possible. Lower reps are considered strength training. Genetics also have a role to play. Everyone is different. Depends if you have fast or slow twitch muscle fiber genes
    Have to disagree with that there. You're going into a 15 range then you're venturing into endurance training.

There is nothing wrong with being in an 8-12 range to promote hypertrophy but that does not mean that when won't see muscle grown in the power range. I highly disagree that it's necessary to be in a high range during a bulk.

Compound movements 5x5
    Accessory muscles 3x8-12

Or if you fancy periodization training.

Also, muscle fiber genetics? We all have both fibers and they can be altered through the proper training. We are not limited to one thing.

I understand your point. Forgive my vagueness. I didn't mean that we only have one type of muscle fiber gene. But our bodies, depending on our genetics respond better to certain weight training types depending on fast/slow fibers.

Point being you'll destroy more muscle fibers in the high rep rang low rest period type training. 5x5 are great for compound movements, for overall strength and beginners should always start here. Hypertrophy should be focused with volume.

Nevertheless it comes down to the individual. What works well for one may not work exactly for another

No, that is not what science says. Read these:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22106173
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19001042
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12436270