Protein & Carbs

Options
Hello! My name is Donna, I am new to the group. Started my journey 4 days ago.. Please add me so that we can assist each other in this transformation. I did have a question, I am trying to find the right balance. Is it always good to eat a protein when you eat a carb? For instance, eating a hard boiled egg for breakfast with a 1/4 cup of plain oatmeal?
Finding the right things to eat can be difficult. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• felipealvarez96
    felipealvarez96 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The thing is that carbs are everywhere :/ so you just have to look at what are you trying to accomplish. Loose weight, maintain weight, or built lean muscle? If you are trying to loose weight I would recommend to find your Calorie intake for the day and from there do a deficit-to loose weight/or surplus-to gain some muscle you may start with a 15% increase or decrease at first then work your way from there. You need fats, carbs, and protein for example me my macros that I want are 40gprotein/40gcarbs/20g fats per meal. Hope this can help you add me.
  • Thank you! It does help. I am looking to lose. My plan, for the first two weeks is to get my eating under control and on the right track. Eat to live, not live to eat. Its hard but the more I talk about it, the more confidence I have to accomplish this.
  • rossscobie
    rossscobie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    They are so many things to consider becuase sometimes its hard to eat foods packed with the rifht amount of protein and carbs...i usually split my meals into 3/4 depending how am feeling....i if i am eating a carb or fats i always have a source of protein with it ALWAYS
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Protein keeps you feeing fuller longer, so having some at each meal helps keep the hangries away.
    But other than that, as long as you're overall in a healthy range for your macros, there's no real reason you couldn't have a breakfast of all protein, lunch of all fat, and dinner of all carbs if you wanted. (Dunno why you would, but just as an example.) :grinning:

Here's a table which explains the healthy macro ranges:
    http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/C5CD2DD7840544979A549EC47E56A02B.ashx

page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)
  • Thank you MKEgal!