I'm new here, and I'd like some diet tips.

Options
Hey guys! I'm Stephenie! So I've used this site many times before, but I always fall off track. This is my first time deciding to be active and using the message boards.

Anyway, I'm 5 foot 1 and I weight anywhere between 130-135 pounds. I am overweight by a few pounds.
It shouldn't be too hard to lose the weight, and I know I have an advantage compared to a lot of people, but it's been really hard for me and I find myself gaining a size or two in jeans each year. I need to wind backwards NOW before I'm in too deep.
My ultimate goal is 105-110, but my first goal is 120.

I want to be healthy, and fit. I want to feel beautiful for the first time in my life.
I may not be that big, but I am so untoned and unfit it's depressing. My thighs have more cellulite then I have ever seen on anyone. I have cankles. I can't wear fitted clothes because I look lumpy, I have to wear oversized jeans and shirts to appear decent. It upsets me, because I've dreamed of wearing shorts and pretty dresses and a bikini! In the summer. I'm a young girl- 22 years old, and I don't think anyone my age should be hiding in hoodies in jeans in 90 degree weather, while their friends are out drinking in short skirts and crop tops, with total confidence.

Anyway, I've realized that my body is my fault, and I'm ready to make a change.

I'd love to get some advice on dieting and eating.
Some quick details :

I'm a student, so while I'm in school, I like carrying snacks with me so I don't go to the nearest 7/11 and buy a bunch of junk. Any advice on healthy, FILLING snacks to bring with me?
I also work full time. I work at a burger shop. On the plus side, I don't really crave greasy, fried food often. I do like to bring two meals and two snacks with me during my shift, since it's a 12 hour shift, and I'm a very hungry girl.
I don't eat red meat very often, and never ever pork.
I don't like oatmeal or yogurt at all.

I have a severe sweet tooth. I've tried cutting out chocolate and cookies, but I can't. I really can't. I've tried so many methods, and I always just end up binging eg : buying a chocolate chip muffin, a huge chocolate bar consisting of 550 calories for the whole bar, a box of oreos, a big cup of milk AND a bag of chips and just eating all of it in one sitting. (seriously) So I cannot omit my sweet tooth.
I HAVE discovered weight watchers and skinny cow foods, though, which have helped a LOT. I can eat 100 calorie chocolate snacks, two or three of them a day, and it's an amazing substitution, so that's what I've been doing.

I'm also actually trying to do cardio and walk more. I've never really focused on exercise before, or I exercise really poorly.

I've only been on my diet for two days now, but I would love to know your HONEST opinion and feedback on how you think this would work.
I consider this to be my first month, to get me started, then obviously changing it and making it more intense after a month.

Here is what I consumed for the past two days :

Tuesday

Breakfast
Bagel Thins - - 100% Whole Wheat, 1 whole bagel
Daisy - Cottage Cheese 4% Milkfat, 1/4 cup
Grilled chicken, 90 calories

Snack
Nabisco 100 Calorie Packs - Snackwell's Fudge Drizzled Chocolate Chip Cookies, 1 Pack
Weight Watchers - Chocolate Creme Cakes, 1 cake 90 calories

Lunch
Avocado (half) with lemon and hot sauce
1oz fresh mozzarella

Snack :
Half a chocolate mousse jello cup- 30 calories

Dinner :
Fish tacos! I have 3 small tortillas with grilled tilapia, pepperjack cheese and a homemade jalapeno avocado sauce
And half a bottle of Kombucha

Total for the day :
Food : 1,475 calories
135 carbs
67 fat
80g protein
2,162 sodium
27g of sugar

I also did cardio for an hour and burned 361 calories. I had 206 calories remaining. I only went over my fat content, 11g over.

Then yesterday, Wednesday

Breakfast
Coffee with fat free hazelnut cream 38 calories
Tortilla with an egg, grilled chicken and my avocado jalapeno sauce

Lunch
Beef jerky 120 calories (I hate beef jerky, I was just STARVING and I was at school so it was all I could find)
Fiber one peanut butter meal bar 120 calories (same as above)

Dinner :
Two tortillas with grilled chicken, egg whites with jalapenos and my jalapeno avocado sauce (I made a lot of this, so I planned to eat it for a couple days)

Snack :
Skinny cow chocolate fudge cone 150 calories
Skinny cow chocolate truffle bar 100 calories

Then I did cardio for 90 minutes, and I burned 662 calories.

I consumed 1,271 calories for the day.
138 carbs, 42g fat, 97g protein, 3,566 sodium and 39g of sugar.
I went over my sodium (darn beef jerky) only.

I had 711 calories left over.

Now obviously, I am going to switch my meals around, but I do tend to eat the same thing for 2-3 days straight because I make my food in bulk so I have a quick meal ready to go, to save me from eating everything in sight due to momentarily starvation.

If I keep eating like this and doing cardio 3-4 days a week, will I see results?
What should I change?
What should I keep?
What worked for you?

Replies

• ROSIEH65
    ROSIEH65 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    great filling snack if you crave choc is Muller Rice (original flavour) with half a pot of Alpro silky smooth chocolate dessert. It's really helped me!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit and you'll lose. Lift heavy things and you'll tighten.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I find that hard candy helps with sweet cravings. While eating the whole bag will still make you fat, the time required to make it through one piece gives you something sweet for a longer period of time.
  • lpendleton58
    lpendleton58 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Plan looks good and if you stick to it, you should see results. I am not sure what you can add or get rid of because I do not know macros you are going for but as long as you are making healthy substitutions, you should be fine. Also, keep in mind that results may not only come in changes in weight. There could be waistline changes, overall body definition, and improvements mentally and mood.
  • Windnancy
    Windnancy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    when i crave chocolate I make chia cocoa pudding...it tastes like chocolate and it's really not so sweet but it tastes sweet...recipe would be 1/4 cup chia seeds, 1.5 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp agave syrup or pure maple syrup, 1 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened, 1 tbsp carob powder...whisk it all up and let sit in fridge for 12 hours. (Recipe found on pinterest)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

^^Yep.

It looks like you found a good way to fit in your sweets. My only question is "can you sustain this?" If you can continue, and not freak out and fall off the wagon, go for it. If you're feeling hangry, add more vegetables and protein. Baby carrots and hummus, celery and peanut butter, whatever. You have more calories. Use them if you need to. You may lose slower, but you'll still lose rather than quit.

• worldwidedewey
    Options
    Looks like you have a good diet going already, just be consistent,

Also substitute snacks that you sneak and forget about with fruits and nuts, I like the nature valley sweet n salty bars if your on your feet for 12 hours and hydrate properly they can have that energy boost and the salts to help absorb and utilize the liquids etc...

Use an app like human or something that tracks your activity in the background... I walk 5 miles alone during my shift, I don't log it but it is good to keep in the back of your mind.

That's my two cents any ways

Good luck
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    this. Plus eat food you want to eat, not because you think it's required for weight loss. If you wouldn't eat it while maintaining, why eat it now? If you would eat it during maintenance, why not eat it now?
  • worldwidedewey
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    this. Plus eat food you want to eat, not because you think it's required for weight loss. If you wouldn't eat it while maintaining, why eat it now? If you would eat it during maintenance, why not eat it now?

Amen
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats help me keep the sweet tooth under control. Strength training is good for losing inches, especially if you are already pretty close to goal. Good for you for keeping on top of things!
  • Dancetherapist
    Dancetherapist Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you could also work on loving and appreciating yourself a bit more. Your body is your friend, not the enemy! Combined with cutting out the sugar/junk food snacks, doing some strength training stuff (try a fun class like barre or Pilates), I would also recommend that you tell yourself something you LIKE about your body every time you look in the mirror. It will really help :smile: (I'm a licensed mental health professional who has worked with women with body image issues and eating disorders for quite some time now)
  • gaxarlis08
    gaxarlis08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I snack on a lot of vegetables. A handful of almonds is a good filling snack also. My dinner usually consist of fish or chicken and a sweet potato and it keeps me full all night. Side note: could you send me your recipe for avocado jalapeno sauce? It sounds great!