Looking for outdoor running advice

Options
ghosthackexe
ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So for awhile now I've been getting more and more into cardio just tend to find it relaxing and been doing around 3.1 miles when I go out to run. Traditionally I run in the gym since I just find it easier to track my time, distance, ect. The other day, however, I decided to run outside (something I've been wanting to do) at a local park but I felt like the icy air just absolutely killed my lungs they just were on fire and I barely scrapped by a mile. Has anyone else had a transition period running in cold weather ? only thing I've been able to look up so far is that I might have not been hydrated enough but other than that I'm coming up with nothing. (No history of asthma, breathing problems, or otherwise)

Replies

• lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been running outdoors for about a year and a half now, and I started in the summer of 2013. I was able to transition through the fall and eventually winter. I think my body adjusted to the cold temperatures slowly as they transitioned. I think if you are just getting into outdoor running, you're better off waiting until it warms up a bit so it's not a shock to your body.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Transitioning from indoors to outdoors (or vice-versa) is always a pain. Just start slow, wear a light facemask (balaclava), and practice breathing in through your nose or "sipping" air through your mouth. It might take a couple of weeks to fully adjust, but the first couple runs are the worst of it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's kind of funny. I just ran on a treadmill this morning for the first time in a looong time. It was the first time I had ever done so for over a mile. I was miserable. Seriously. I was worried I would not make the 4 miles I had planned. My legs were killing me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If it's really that cold out, then it might just be par for the course. Try putting something over your mouth (a thin scarf, a thin mask, etc) to buffer the air.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Exercise-induced asthma is a thing, and it affects some people only in cold temperatures. If it persists, you might want to see your doctor.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Carry a gun, run with a big dog, and send up signal flares every half mile so people know you're still alive. Oh wait. I mean you'll gradually get used to the weather being colder. The only issue I have is that it makes my throat feel a little bit dry and scratchy some days if it's really cold out.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to judge speed on a treadmill compared to running outdoors. Is it possible you set off too fast? Maybe next time run very slowly to start with and see if your breathing settles. A scarf across your mouth to protect lungs from cold air might help with breathing too.