Working College Girls????

Options
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one on here that is working 30 hours a week and attending college full-time? I was hoping to make more friends like me on here for motivation and support! It's so difficult some times. Also, I have a couple problems I was hoping someone had encountered before or had some solutions? Anyway,

Here's my problem:
1. Campus has nothing but convenience food (An Einstein's bagel co. is the closest to all my classes)
2. On days I have classes I also have work and only have 5-20 minute breaks between all of my classes (and only an hour before work)
3. I work as a waitress at Applebee's and getting food during my shift is not an option (8 hour shift no breaks for food) so I have to stuff myself before hand
4. I LOVE to cook, but meal prepping is hard because I live with 3 other people and our fridge is VERY small.
5. I feel like there's very little time in the day most of the time...

All this being said, I am VERY motivated, I want to be skinny for once in my life and healthy! I go to the gym as often as I can and do 30+ minutes of cardio and I strength train when I can find time too. My schedule is just so all over the place that It's hard to stay consistent and eat properly! Any tips/advice/friend requests/ would be appreciated!

Replies

• diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies, raw fruit, dried fruit, nuts, pop-top cans of tuna & sardines. Since granola is considered eatable out of a baggie, consider lower calorie cereals also. Yoghurt is still good when kept at room temperature for a day. Reuse your baggies to save money. I buy food about 4 times per week because I have to share a 14 cu ft refrigerator with 35 other people in the office on my floor and my schedule requires that I eat everything other than the morning cereal in the office. Applebee's sounds like a real drag! But these days most of us have to be thankful to have any job.

Congratulation on the college! Keep up the good work and it will pay off! It took me 5 years to complete college because I was working full time my last two years. You can do it. My wife completed an MS in geospatial engineering last year from Texas A&M entirely online while working 84 hours per week in Afghanistan. Just keep at it and you will get there. I feel so good when I read posts from people like you who are determined to get ahead. You are a great example for the rest of us.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    diegops1 wrote: »
    Raw veggies, raw fruit, dried fruit, nuts, pop-top cans of tuna & sardines. Since granola is considered eatable out of a baggie, consider lower calorie cereals also. Yoghurt is still good when kept at room temperature for a day. Reuse your baggies to save money. I buy food about 4 times per week because I have to share a 14 cu ft refrigerator with 35 other people in the office on my floor and my schedule requires that I eat everything other than the morning cereal in the office. Applebee's sounds like a real drag! But these days most of us have to be thankful to have any job.

Congratulation on the college! Keep up the good work and it will pay off! It took me 5 years to complete college because I was working full time my last two years. You can do it. My wife completed an MS in geospatial engineering last year from Texas A&M entirely online while working 84 hours per week in Afghanistan. Just keep at it and you will get there. I feel so good when I read posts from people like you who are determined to get ahead. You are a great example for the rest of us.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll have to invest in more fruit. Its so hard to keep it fresh though. I never eat it all before it goes bad
  • Can you get food from Applebees before or after your shift? If you could get salad you wouldn't have to worry about keeping fruit and vegetables on hand and could focus on protein-rich snacks like nuts (available at most convenience stores), or even a whole grain bagel.

Also if your produce is going bad before you use it maybe buy frozen instead of fresh. It has the same nutrients and is usually cheaper.
  • EmBurnie
    Options
    same situation here! Every day I'm either at work for 13 hrs, or college for 9 + 45 min commute each way. Sundays is my only day off so I spend it cleaning, cooking and studying. I do well Mondy-thursday then fall apart by Friday.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    diegops1 wrote: »

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll have to invest in more fruit. Its so hard to keep it fresh though. I never eat it all before it goes bad

Do some logistical planning. If you plan you meals out several days in advance and shop for fruit at the beginning of each week, only buying what you've planned for, you can make sure all your produce is getting eaten before it goes bad. It just takes a little extra forethought.

• SperryJuice
    SperryJuice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We are in the same boat! Just started my new job at best buy and am currently a full time college student. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you would like :)