I have to ask this....

Options
So, a while back my dad had a "massivly major heart attack" (and the er doc went to school for that?) and he, despite being a skinny rail, was told to cut back on fat - which I understand... Being that i lived with him and did all the cooking i thought, well I can shed a lot of punds so I will start cooking healthier and on nights when I was using ground beef for something, sauce or taco's, etc. I would boil the meat instead of frying it.
In my mind it seemed like it would have to be healthier and if I am putting it in something or seasoning it would anyone really notice?!?!?!? Dad who could tell real from generic never complained so you must not be able to tell...

i am just curious - in theory it makes sense but would anyone know for sure or can anyone confirm my theory???

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    What is your theory? That boiling hamburger makes it leaner? Or that most people wouldn't know the difference between lean beef and full-fat beef if it's seasoned?
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I rinse ground beef under very hot water before adding taco seasoning, etc. just to try and get all possible grease off.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Im not sure I understand what the question is...will anyone be able to tell if your boiling the meat or frying it?
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Here's what you do: brown your ground beef or ground turkey in the skillet, and then drain the meat. THEN rinse the meat with hot hot water. This rinses off all that extra fat. Then you can add your seasonings. This works for me. Of course, if you are using ground turkey (93/7 kind) there is hardly any fat left at all. I have to add water with the ground turkey just to cook it and keep it from burning. Very lean ground beef will also probably need water. :smile:
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it would make it healthier - but seasoned ground turkey (for tacos....ground and browned, spaghetti, etc) tastes the same and has a better texture. And I'm a beef person. You should try the ground lean turkey. I am even ok with 50% beef/50% turkey burgers....And I'm a beed person :)
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Most of the fat is already in the beef so boiling won't make big a difference. Buy leaner meat and use nonstick cookware.
  • em_lou007
    em_lou007 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi!

If you cook meat without additional fat (e.g. frying) it can't absorb any so boiling ground beef will be leaner than frying it.

You have to remember though red meat is not as good for you as white meat (cholesteral and all that) - but everything in moderation :happy:

Good luck with your new healthier diets

:flowerforyou:
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think that you should get the 95/5 ground beef, which has less fat or you could use ground turkey or chicken. :)
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    I don't add any fat (butter, etc.) when I fry ground beef, and enjoy the satisfaction of seeing all the beef fat I drain off at the end. Don't think I'd get that from boiling.

@kappyblu: thanks for the suggestion of rinsing -- I'm going to try that!
  • chunkymonkeylass
    Options
    my friend Bob had a heart attack that lasted 3 weeks, (he thought he pulled a muscle till he went pale) after he had the stint/bypass thingy done we swithed to turkey. Ground turkey is leaner & most people can't tell the difference, when ground. I use olive oil instead of others(cept when called for sesame oil, there is just no substitute for it) , I also drink cinamon when I can, it tricks the body into lowereing the blood sugar, use steva instead of sugar when i can. there are recipes on my page i believe, feel free to use them or look up flex tex mix, easy kung pao, there are others i posted just cant think of them rite now. there are some wonderful recipes on here & also on allrecipes.com & myfatsecret.com:drinker:
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    my friend Bob had a heart attack that lasted 3 weeks, (he thought he pulled a muscle till he went pale) after he had the stint/bypass thingy done we swithed to turkey.

Poor Bob! That's a long time!