I feel like an addict

Options
I have been trying to lose weight on and off now for awhile. After three babies, I'm trying once again to lose the "baby" weight. I started back on track again this week. The thing is... I feel like an addict! All I can think about is food and what I can eat, blah blah blah. I have such a bad habit of just eating when I'm bored. I'm a SAHM, so its hard to keep myself out of the kitchen. Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like food is all I think about now that I'm trying to lose this weight!

Replies

• jhds2
    jhds2 Posts: 4
    Options
    Im not a stay at home mom, nor do I have kids, but I certainly feel like an addict at times. Emotional and boredom eating always hit me around 5/6p. I find myself in the kitchen most of the day, on my days off. I found that if I prepared meals a day, 2 days, even for the week, and separated single servings into different containers...when it came time to eat, it would be a quick "in n out" of the kitchen. Grab a serving, heat, n go. My problem still stands at night. I've switched my workouts to nights, so I keep busy instead of keep eating. But...can't workout ALL night lol still trying to figure out something. Tried crosswords, reading, cleaning house, walking dogs, going to bed early, n keeping toothpaste in hand (ever try eating just after brushing? Yuk), but my addict comes out anyways ugh
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    melifairy wrote: »
    I have been trying to lose weight on and off now for awhile. After three babies, I'm trying once again to lose the "baby" weight. I started back on track again this week. The thing is... I feel like an addict! All I can think about is food and what I can eat, blah blah blah. I have such a bad habit of just eating when I'm bored. I'm a SAHM, so its hard to keep myself out of the kitchen. Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like food is all I think about now that I'm trying to lose this weight!

SAHM here too. I pre-log so I do not snack. And I tell myself for every snack I make for them that this is not for me but for them for they are growing!
    Also, I drink a lot of tea of different flavors.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a day before. Stuff I know I have in the house. So I'm getting my macros right and then I have a plan. If I don't have a plan and EVERYTHING is available, I have issues. Also, I'm horribly lazy so once it is in there, I don't like changing it. Unless I eat less, which is fine.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    When I was a SAHM, I had to pretend it was a job. I got up each day at 5, showered, dressed in my "uniform" of yoga pants, and yoga top, did my yoga DVD, had my breakfast, packed my lunch in a cooler, and went to "work". I always made a big job in the mornings, like cleaning all bathrooms, really fast. Take kids out to park, home, lunch, naps...the key is to stay busy, wear yoga clothes-- easy to snack in jeans or sweats, not so much in yoga clothes. And only eat the food you packed in your cooler.
  • melifairy
    melifairy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions and encouragement! I especially like the idea of thinking of this as a "job". :) I am in no way a morning person, so its hard to get out of bed and get going. That's something I've been working on lately though. I know I have more productive days when I get a few things done before the kids get up. Thank you again!
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I definitely know the feeling. I find the biggest challenge for me is avoiding all the little BLT's (bites, licks & tastes).

Making a PB sandwich for the kids - lick the extra PB off the knife. Giving little one a juicebox - take a sip so it doesn't squirt everywhere when they squeeze it. They don't want to finish their supper - have a bite off the plate before scraping it off. They refuse to eat a certain food - have a taste to 'prove' to them that its yummy.

Those BLT's can add up to a couple hundred extra (unrecorded) calories a day, every day.
  • melifairy
    Options
    I totally get that! Usually if I cook myself something different it helps. :)
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    I definitely know the feeling. I find the biggest challenge for me is avoiding all the little BLT's (bites, licks & tastes).

Making a PB sandwich for the kids - lick the extra PB off the knife. Giving little one a juicebox - take a sip so it doesn't squirt everywhere when they squeeze it. They don't want to finish their supper - have a bite off the plate before scraping it off. They refuse to eat a certain food - have a taste to 'prove' to them that its yummy.

Those BLT's can add up to a couple hundred extra (unrecorded) calories a day, every day.

@Codilee87‌ I swear I gained 60 pounds doing this. Sad, really. I could have gained that 60 pounds in a way that was more fun. :D
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    Codilee87 wrote: »

@Codilee87‌ I swear I gained 60 pounds doing this. Sad, really. I could have gained that 60 pounds in a way that was more fun. :D

BLT's while baking and decorating cupcakes are even worse lol
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Like when you run out of frosting because you ate half the jar while the kids were decorating the cupcakes? Been there. Done that.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am not a stay at home mom or have kids for that matter but I am very mindful of my meals. I will count out a serving of say almonds. I will put them in a container and walk out of the room so I am not tempted to eat more. I just make sure that when I log my food I take into account my snacks...well because I like to graze all day.

Oh and Lord forbid someone takes one of the almonds I have counted out. HA
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I feel like an addict too, but I don't have kids or anything like that. I eat when I'm bored, when I see delicious food on tv, when I'm sad, when I get my paycheck, when I don't feel like doing my homework...the list goes on. Very hard for me to find a reason not to eat! I found that I did best when I was meal planning, but my lack of motivation and extreme laziness have caused that to fall by the wayside (I am trying to start up again, though). I wish I had some actual advice, but I'm really more in a place where I could use it rather than give it lol.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I often think you don't nix an addiction, you simply replace it with something else. I'm most successful at losing weight when I don't simply change the diet, I fixate on something like running--that then gets me out of the kitchen and goes toward my goals--and then it becomes easier.

I always notice this about shows like INTERVENTION or EXTREME WEIGHT LOSS, too-- they find other goals, like biking or a marathon or whatever it may be, and the more successful they are with those goals, the more success they have with their addiction.

Is there a hobby or an activity you could replace your addiction with? Some classes you could sign the kids up for, or somesuch?
  • melifairy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions! I know a lot of us are dealing with this issue. I looove the idea of replacing eating food with something else. I'm thinking of signing up for a 5k soon! :) That will give me motivation to get fit enough to survive, lol!