I threw away Cheesecake!!!

Options

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree that "educating the office" sounds a bit uppity. As a former (and probably future) office chocolate provider, I hear sighs of relief when they find chocolate at my desk on a stressful afternoon. We are all responsible for our own moderate (or not) choices. My co-workers and I don't need educating because we enjoy an afternoon snack. Also, if I make six well-adjusted people happy with my bowl of chocolates but one person falls off whatever wagon they were on because they couldn't resist, that's certainly not my responsibility. I don't think that person would consider it to be my responsibility either. If that person politely asked me to keep them down off the ledge and out of sight, I would oblige out of respect.
  • SeeAmandaRun
    SeeAmandaRun Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Offices are really bad for this (at least the ones where I have worked). I'd say 90% of my co-workers are overweight (including myself), so we definitely don't need cheesecake. I find it hard sometimes to resist all of the goodies that are left in the lunch room, but I'm getting better! I've got a reputation around the office as a chocolate lover...

Good for you OP for realizing it wasn't worth it. You can have your cake (and eat it too), but only if you want it.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Offices are really bad for this (at least the ones where I have worked). I'd say 90% of my co-workers are overweight (including myself), so we definitely don't need cheesecake. I find it hard sometimes to resist all of the goodies that are left in the lunch room, but I'm getting better! I've got a reputation around the office as a chocolate lover...

Good for you OP for realizing it wasn't worth it. You can have your cake (and eat it too), but only if you want it.

I was 104.2 pounds this morning when I weighed myself. The o.p. could have given me the cheesecake instead of tossing it in the garbage. And anyway, regardless of anyones weight, it's not his responsibility to decide for others what they should eat by throwing it out.
  • WayneBradt
    WayneBradt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the support. This would not have been as big of a deal for me if I could have simply logged it first, or passed altogether, that's the point exactly. For me food has always been an issue and has some strange power over me, but only at certain times. I cannot explain it. Either way, it was just a small win for me. I loved all of the feedback and I mean all. I found it interesting how many people were upset by a piece of cheesecake in the trash. For everyone that understands this as the difficult thing that is and something I have never done before, thanks for the kind words. Here's to all of you, the cheesecake in the trash lovers and haters alike, I wish you all the best of luck on your personal journey. Enjoy the big wins, but don't forget to celebrate the small wins as well, even if they're less than perfect wins like mine in this case.
  • ssanford77
    ssanford77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    They always have goodies in my office. One day the one girl brought me a piece of her birthday cake. She is very sensitive so there really was no way to say no. I told her I would eat it at lunch. At lunch I slipped out the back door and threw it in the dumpster. It is a really hard thing to do. I have no room in my diet for cake. Good job. You did great!
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I miss, miss, miss Junior's cheesecake!

You're likely to hate me for saying this: I have worked on Nevin's St, around the corner from Junior's and have never, ever, had their cheesecake.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Agree with throwing it out. I don't believe in wasting food, but... it's one piece of cake, and you had a moment of clarity about what you wanted after taking the cake without thinking about it. To me, this is like when I almost started smoking again after quitting --- bought a pack, opened it, thought better of it and tossed it. That moment of clarity, which has stayed with me since, was way more important than the wasted $, paper, tobacco and cellophane.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing with a donut the other day, I saw it and wanted to eat it. I took a bite, then decided it wasn't worth it. I spit it out and threw the rest away so it was unretrieveable in the trash can. I decided the calories it contained and the non-nutritional value it possesed was "too expensive" to waste my calories on. You will remember this small victory far longer than any piece of random cheesecake you ate. Be proud of yourself!!!!
  • Aviva92
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    I did the same thing with a donut the other day, I saw it and wanted to eat it. I took a bite, then decided it wasn't worth it. I spit it out and threw the rest away so it was unretrieveable in the trash can. I decided the calories it contained and the non-nutritional value it possesed was "too expensive" to waste my calories on. You will remember this small victory far longer than any piece of random cheesecake you ate. Be proud of yourself!!!!

OMG! Are you my coworker? Was this free donuts that someone brought in to work? If so, I missed out on donuts because my coworkers ate them all or threw them away before I saw the box and I was sad.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this should be in the "epic failure" category ...
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    OP, dont feel bad about throwing out the food. We have this mentality that we still live in the 30's and food is so hard to come by, or we guilt ourselves because others are starving. I know when I first started this journey, I often threw food into the garbage. It takes a while to get used to those urges, and eventually you wont even grab it unless you know it fits into your calories for the day.

Good for you! :D Feels good to prove to yourself that YOU DO HAVE CONTROL!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    boo hoo...he threw away a slice of cheesecake...give the guy a break...

If you brought food in that you either baked or bought for people, and someone took some then threw it out without eating it, how would you feel?

OP, it's good that you resisted even after the fact, but I would consider the ramifications beforehand. Could you have fit it into your day? Even going over your calories, you can eat a little less the next few days to make up for that.

Are you suggesting that he eat high calorie food he doesn't want just to spare someone else's feelings? Someone that probably doesn't even know it happened and therefore has no feelings on the matter?

That sounds ridiculous to me. God forbid someone changes their mind and sticks to their diet.

^ I agree, codependency at its finest. Dont do what you want, because you might hurt someones precious feelings.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    besides the fact that throwing away food sets one up for a bad relationship with food and indicates slightly disordered thinking...but other then that, OP should be good to go ...

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    sometimes you got to do what you got to do. whatever works. Now I think about it I haven't had cheesecake for 4 years when I lost my weight. The yogurt with topping with the high protein taste about the same to me.
  • jsmorden
    jsmorden Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are freaking out about you throwing away A slice of cheesecake! EVERYONE should be congratulating YOU! Good job!!! I know it must of been hard. Yes it's good but does it really offer nutrition? NO! There are a lot of negative people commenting! I'm sorry about that.. You should be lifted up for resisting the temptation!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I should of thrown away the cheesecake. I was at a card making class and the host had made some cup cake size cheesecake. I had been being very good with my eating, and thought, I would enjoy it. I took one bit and it wasn't very good, and actually was a weird taste I didn't love, but I ate it anyway. Next time I will take a bite if I really want it, and if it's not as good as it should be for a splurge item. I will throw it. I should of quietly put a napkin on it and threw it away when no one was watching, as not to hurt anyone's feelings. Congratulations on making your own decisions about what you want to eat. No one should make you feel obligated to have some. Continue the good work.
  • WayneBradt
    WayneBradt Posts: 69 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    besides the fact that throwing away food sets one up for a bad relationship with food and indicates slightly disordered thinking...but other then that, OP should be good to go ...

@ndj1979‌ I would love to hear more about this if you can spare some details. This idea is something I'm personally not familiar with and it sounds fascinating.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Super credit. I NEVER could have tossed cheesecake. Awesome!
  • Aviva92
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    OP, dont feel bad about throwing out the food. We have this mentality that we still live in the 30's and food is so hard to come by, or we guilt ourselves because others are starving. I know when I first started this journey, I often threw food into the garbage. It takes a while to get used to those urges, and eventually you wont even grab it unless you know it fits into your calories for the day.

Good for you! :D Feels good to prove to yourself that YOU DO HAVE CONTROL!

It's not that. I think it's rude to your coworkers.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

i think the op should have pre logged it first and then thought about it, but could it not also just show abit of control. save the calories for something else later?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!