Losing weight but not belly fat (can anyone see why?)

Options
Hi Guys,

My new years resolution was to exercise more and lose a good bit of body fat, especially belly fat. Before i was working at my desk nearly all day and going out drinking twice a week and both of them really added it on.

But now, I am dieting well, drinking loads of water and taking work breaks to either walk or do cardio (currently doing 30days of HIIT). It's been 5 weeks and I've lost about half a stone but my belly doesn't seem to be getting any smaller with about 40mins walking and 20mins HIIT workouts a day.

Am I missing something obvious? Can anyone help me find what I need to get rid of it?

My typical diet (1600 calories approx) includes:
  • Breakfast: Greek Yoghurt with nuts/banana slices OR porridge with banana slices OR cheerios OR weetabix OR scrambled eggs (2 eggs with 1 brown toast slice with small veg). And coffee, obviously!
  • Lunch: Veg soup OR Wholewheat wraps with either eggs, tuna, cheese, ham with salads OR sandwiches (Lunch isn't my strong point as i'm rushing to get it made because of work). Sometimes a Slimfast shake (spoon of powder with low fat milk) but it tends to not be filling enough.
  • Dinner: I'm currently living at home so I'm nice and accept what my mom makes! she's usually good with meals so I can't really complain. Never fast food or anything terribly high in fat/cals. Usually chicken or fish as the meat and once or twice its beef.
  • Snacks: Small amount of nuts/fruit OR few squares of dark choc OR humous/carrots OR LowFat Cheese String. (Usually one between lunch-dinner and one late evening).

Anything you can see which should definitely be cut out? or any suggestions to easy-to-make meals, mainly lunch, that's my low point really.

Thanks in advance! P.S. I'm very grateful to have found this site/app, it keeps me motivated and moving about.

Replies

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Doesn't "seem" to be getting smaller? You should measure with a cloth tape measure. It takes time. Your diet seems okay to me. Not sure about the quantity since you're a male. Someone else can speak to that.

Measurements take the longest to notice. Since you lost 7lbs (If I got that right) it sounds like you're doing something right! Remember, you can't spot reduce. The fat comes off according to genetics. Do you notice any other parts of your body getting smaller?
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Corection: Bodyfat also takes a long time before you notice a change. Many people weigh daily or weekly but measure themselves monthly.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you don't really get to choose where your body loses fat from. Just keep up the consistency with the eating and exercise. Also, take measurements of your waist and hips, and I'll bet you'll notice a difference (if you've only been at this for five weeks, you'll need to be patient with the process) :-)
  • joewinfield91
    joewinfield91 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nothings really getting smaller. I'm guessing 5 weeks is a bit early to be expecting change. It's a bit disheartening not to see change but I guess it's the effort and continuing to do so is the most important thing! Nothing to get upset or put off about.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is the result of overall body fat percentage and for most, it is the last thing to go.

A heavy lifting routine with compound moves could help. Eating at a deficit can help. Cardio can help.

Most though, is just patience.
  • joewinfield91
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is typically the last to go on guys.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Patience. What you're missing is patience.

Keep going. You'll get there :flowerforyou:
  • joewinfield91
    Options
    I guess what's missing from my diet is patience! Thanks again guys!
  • GingerValkyrie
    GingerValkyrie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, it may not look like you are getting any smaller to yourself, because you see your body every single day, along with the subtle changes. It could be a mental component, too. I lost 30 pounds at one point and to myself I didn't look any smaller, but everyone around me was saying that it was noticeable.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    You are also missing resistance training ;)
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you're at all like me, you might be losing some of the spare tire around the sides of your belly and probably a lot off your legs - areas you don't notice yourself much both before and after but others would
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    For most people, the place you have the most fat is the last to lose. Just stick with it, what you are doing is obviously working. It will just take a little time to see it where you want to.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Even 10 pounds lost can be hard to see just by looking unless you're already at a relatively low body fat. What was your starting weight? I started at 235 at the beginning of the year and have lost 9 pounds (as of a week ago). I use a measuring tape to measure my waist and have lost about an inch and a half.

If your mom is cooking, you might be inaccurately counting the number of calories for those meals.

Something else I've read is that you want to be doing strength training and maintain a protein intake of ~1 gram of protein for every pound of your goal weight. This, coupled along with strength training will help preserve your lean muscle mass and maximize fat loss. (Somebody can correct me if this is wrong)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Last to go and first to come back too. If you keep losing weight it will really shrink fast when you up your cardio. As the amount of fat reserves to burn decreases it takes a toll on what you have left. It felt like I had hit turbo mode when I got to that point. When I hit that zone I was running 30 miles a week, resistance three days a week and planks daily.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Athos282 wrote: »

Something else I've read is that you want to be doing strength training and maintain a protein intake of ~1 gram of protein for every pound of your goal weight. This, coupled along with strength training will help preserve your lean muscle mass and maximize fat loss. (Somebody can correct me if this is wrong)

That could work for some people I would guess. The general recommendation is .8 grams of protein per lb of body weight OR 1 gram per lb of LBM.

• Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    That could work for some people I would guess. The general recommendation is .8 grams of protein per lb of body weight OR 1 gram per lb of LBM.

I will defer to the calves.
  • SeanDelaney1966
    SeanDelaney1966 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have always been told that belly fat (esp in us guys) comes from too much sugar? Maybe look to drop the sugar content. If you drink alcohol, it has unfortunately heaps. I have only been going 2 weeks but have really dropped sugar and the belly fat is moving fast. Hopefully this helps.
  • Hornsby
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have always been told that belly fat (esp in us guys) comes from too much sugar? Maybe look to drop the sugar content. If you drink alcohol, it has unfortunately heaps. I have only been going 2 weeks but have really dropped sugar and the belly fat is moving fast. Hopefully this helps.

You have heard wrong. Cutting sugar down can help if you eat to much of it and it makes you go over your maintenance calories, but it doesn't inherently do anything to belly fat.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're losing. I agree with checking the actual measurements. I didn't think I'd made any progress but a friend I hadn't seen in a while said my face looked thinner. So I went home and weighed and I'd lost 5 lbs. Don't get too frustrated. Just try to keep in your calorie goal and keep exercising - it won't be long before you notice things fitting looser! Best of luck to you!