I'm trying to bulk , gain weight & make my abs show

Options
x0vq0pl9nbi2.jpg

So this is me : I currently weigh 122 pounds and I'm trying to get to 150 pounds. It's tough because it's hard for me to gain weigh due to my metabolism I think. I use mass gainer and protein shake and get my calories , well at least try. I just don't know what to do.

Replies

• ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Dbl whopper with chess heavy all, Large Onion rings and a Coke. lunch then dinner
    Doritos for snacks in between and all the soda you can put down.

2 fried eggs, house potatoes, sausage patties,bacon and toast. Cook the eggs in the bacon grease. Breakfast.

I did this till I was 23 and still couldn't gain weight. My mom worked at BK. But after 30 all hell broke loose.
  • randolphm94
    randolphm94 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That doesn't even sound healthy & I eat a lot I just have a huge metabolism. And I'm only 20
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    im 43 and im not dead yet. But it isnt very healthy. dude you need eat everything that crosses in front of you. Calories calories calories. your 20 so your body will forgive you later on. Bread and peanut butter isnt to bad. Red Meat. cereal with whole milk, chocolate cake, everything.

Gaining weight is really expensive.
  • kunalsingh9
    kunalsingh9 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it is very important to understand that you cannot gain weight and expect to see abs at the same time. You need to get to a suitable body weight before you should start cutting back for those abs. Eat in surplus for a few weeks and see how your body is progressing
  • bigres20
    Options
    Man I know your struggle. For me its time and budget but one thing I have to say is that focusing on eating clean now will pay dividends in the future body. I have many older brothas tell me do all you can to eat healthy and right now! As far as gaining goes, what are you eatingeating the gainer and protein shakes and doing for exercise? Glad to exchange notes, I've had some success in this area.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ovinas1 wrote: »
    im 43 and im not dead yet. But it isnt very healthy. dude you need eat everything that crosses in front of you. Calories calories calories. your 20 so your body will forgive you later on. Bread and peanut butter isnt to bad. Red Meat. cereal with whole milk, chocolate cake, everything.

As you say, the Burger King, cookies, etc diet isn't very healthy. I'm not sure the body will forgive later on. Ovinas, you may have been lucky and don't have any issues but as a person in their late 50's who has lifted for 40+ years, I've seen many friends who ate like crap while younger and are paying for it now. Stuff like heart problems, diabetic issues, etc, things you don't want to deal with.

Instead, how about the OP concentrate on eating a ton of grilled chicken breast, lean red meat, fish, brown rice, spinach (and other healthy veggies) milk, cottage cheese, avocados, nuts and other healthy foods. That said, throw in a piece of cake or some ice cream occasionally, but not as a staple of your diet.

Diet and work in the gym, heavy (for the OP) compound movements, skip the curls.

This combination of diet and exercise will get you there. Good luck.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Bulking will cause your abs to disappear as you increase your body fat unless you are well below 10% and work your abs hard while you bulk so that they become more apparent. Sure, BK or McD's aren't the best diet but the basics are solid. You need to eat more than you burn and that's all there is to it. Find your maintenance and eat 500 calories per day higher and increase 100 calories per day each week if you aren't making progress. Eat a decent base diet so that all of your needs are met but then have the fries and burger to add more calories.

Don't over think it. Look around and you'll notice that it's pretty easy to gain weight in this day and age.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

As you say, the Burger King, cookies, etc diet isn't very healthy. I'm not sure the body will forgive later on. Ovinas, you may have been lucky and don't have any issues but as a person in their late 50's who has lifted for 40+ years, I've seen many friends who ate like crap while younger and are paying for it now. Stuff like heart problems, diabetic issues, etc, things you don't want to deal with.

Instead, how about the OP concentrate on eating a ton of grilled chicken breast, lean red meat, fish, brown rice, spinach (and other healthy veggies) milk, cottage cheese, avocados, nuts and other healthy foods. That said, throw in a piece of cake or some ice cream occasionally, but not as a staple of your diet.

Diet and work in the gym, heavy (for the OP) compound movements, skip the curls.

I understand your concerns, but it wasn't just a poor diet that got them to where they were healthwise. Most links between diet and those diseases are based on obesity and underactivity, particularly lack of cardiovascular activity that many lifters are guilty of. Genetics also plays a huge role. A good basic diet with some junk food on top isn't going to cause any real health issues.
  • randolphm94
    Options
    bigres20 wrote: »
    Man I know your struggle. For me its time and budget but one thing I have to say is that focusing on eating clean now will pay dividends in the future body. I have many older brothas tell me do all you can to eat healthy and right now! As far as gaining goes, what are you eatingeating the gainer and protein shakes and doing for exercise? Glad to exchange notes, I've had some success in this area.

I just want to thank everyone for their comments on helping me. I also know me bulking will make me loose my abs yeah of course. I just want to gain & I do eat a lot .. Probably just not enough to where I would gain.
    Bigres- how did you get to where you wanted to be?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    bigres20 wrote: »

I just want to thank everyone for their comments on helping me. I also know me bulking will make me loose my abs yeah of course. I just want to gain & I do eat a lot .. Probably just not enough to where I would gain.
    Bigres- how did you get to where you wanted to be?
    Well, you have pictures from July and "today", which I'm assuming is several months later. How many calories did you average eating, and what was your change in weight in that time frame?
  • allenbrowning
    allenbrowning Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I posted in another board on this same topic but I'll post here too. I used to make a healthy weight gainer shake that was 1200+ calories. It consisted of oats, protein powder, cocoa powder, my homemade peanut butter, coconut oil, eggs, and whole milk. Don't buy the commercial weight gainer it has so much crap in it that that your body doesn't need. You can make something that is healthier, tastes better, and wayyyyyy cheaper all u need is a little effort and a good tongue lol. Coconut oil is the magic ingredient
  • randolphm94
    Options
    I posted in another board on this same topic but I'll post here too. I used to make a healthy weight gainer shake that was 1200+ calories. It consisted of oats, protein powder, cocoa powder, my homemade peanut butter, coconut oil, eggs, and whole milk. Don't buy the commercial weight gainer it has so much crap in it that that your body doesn't need. You can make something that is healthier, tastes better, and wayyyyyy cheaper all u need is a little effort and a good tongue lol. Coconut oil is the magic ingredient

When you state: it has a whole bunch of stuff you don't need as In?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I would say that gainers are the most useless supliments but not because of the ingredients but because few people really need them. They are mostly just cheap proteins and carbs to give you calories. A milkshake is just as good and costs less.
  • allenbrowning
    Options

Overly processed proteins carbs and fats and fillers. You can get all your macros and a good amount of fiber and potassium and sodium balance with *kitten* u have in your fridge if u take the time to prep it. You're spending more money for them to process it where there is better quality in whole foods that cost less and taste better
  • allenbrowning
    Options

I would say that gainers are the most useless supliments but not because of the ingredients but because few people really need them. They are mostly just cheap proteins and carbs to give you calories. A milkshake is just as good and costs less.

^^^ what they said...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

ughhhh who wants to bulk on all that ..OP is 20 and is going to eat 3500 + calories a day of chicken breaks, fish, brown rice, spinach,etc...???

OP - chicken, fish, meat, rice etc are good staples, but throw in some ice cream, bagels, cookies, burgers, etc....
  • ramdettmer751
    ramdettmer751 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No don't go eating fast food or anything you see. Head to the market and buy things that are high in carbs and food with good protein. I normally get wild caught salmon, red meat and chicken breast. If you want good carbs get some whole grain spaghetti noodles and tomato sauce. The money you spend into fast food could just go into something more healthier while bulking which is what I've been doing &it helps keep you from having so much fat that it would be a lot more difficult to get rid of in the future. So eat clean while you can.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    No don't go eating fast food or anything you see. Head to the market and buy things that are high in carbs and food with good protein. I normally get wild caught salmon, red meat and chicken breast. If you want good carbs get some whole grain spaghetti noodles and tomato sauce. The money you spend into fast food could just go into something more healthier while bulking which is what I've been doing &it helps keep you from having so much fat that it would be a lot more difficult to get rid of in the future. So eat clean while you can.

good luck getting into a surplus "eating clean" ....

what are "good" carbs...??????????
  • 1mattcomley1
    Options
    I was 73 kilos and am now 90 and only saw progress when I planned my diet with the high carbs at 50%, proteins at 20% and fats at 30%. Fats are incredibly vital but good fats such as penut butter, olive oil (unheated) etc. if you eat enough and are in a calorie surplus you will scientifically gain weight that is a fact. Be consistent = see results. Ps. If in a bulking faze I would also keep cardio to a minimum of once a week. You will not be able to gain good mass while staying lean I assure you.