Desk exercise

Options
Hey Guys, I love my job but I'm sitting most of the day (9 hrs.). I need excercises I can do while sitting or excercises I can do in my office.

Replies

• kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. Lucky for me we do have a gym so I go there on lunch break. But if you don't have a gym, take a walk at lunch or walk the floors of your office building. I park as far as possible (safely) from the building, take the stairs to the office. Take the stairs to the furthest floor bathroom. You can do arm circles while sitting at your desk. Get up and do some toe touches or knees to elbows. Of course you can do some squats. Try ten every time you go to the bathroom. If your like me, you drink a lot of water and go to the bathroom at least every hour lol.
  • takedajones
    takedajones Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LOL. I agree. I have the urge to snack or make unhealthy choices while I'm sitting. Do you have any suggestions on how I can combat this. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I shut my office door and do DVD workouts. Currently I have a 15 Zumba DVD and a couple of Brazil Butt Lift DVDs that have several workouts ranging from 15 - 25 min. At lunch I mix and match workouts, and I do one of the 15 min workouts on my breaks.

I just ordered 3 more DVDs (Leslie Sansone, Swat resistance band, and a kettlebell workout) to add to the mix so I don't get bored. It's time to get off here and do a workout right now, if fact.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    A guy I used to work with used to sit on a large stability ball instead of his chair. He would do that for most of the day. I'm sure even doing it for a half hour here and there would help a little...you need to engage the core muscles to keep yourself stable when you do that. Btw, he had abs of steel...now, he probably did other things as well, but he swore the stability ball was a huge help.

Btw, he sat in an open area, not in a private office. Nobody ever harassed him about it. Obviously it got attention at first, but people were very supportive and quickly got used to it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Any chance you can switch to a standing/treadmill desk?
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you have the urge to snack, then plan some healthy snacks into your day! I'm at my desk job 9+ hours a day, so I plan snacks for both the morning and late afternoon. My company isn't super strict, so sometimes my co-workers and I will take a 10-15 minute walk outside to help break up the day. Also, when it is warm, I sometimes go running outside on my lunch break.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I started standing at my desk; I physically feel much better and I don't want to snack as much. I'm also less tired at the end of the day, which is an unexpected side effect that I'm really enjoying. If you work for a small company or somewhere that doesn't want to shell out for a standing desk, you can just prop up your monitor and stuff with packs of paper or something- that's what I'm doing for now. I did get a cushioned mat to stand on, which successfully counteracted my sore feet and lower back ache.
  • takedajones
    Options
    Any chance you can switch to a standing/treadmill desk?

I wish!!!! Lol
  • takedajones
    Options
    I started standing at my desk; I physically feel much better and I don't want to snack as much. I'm also less tired at the end of the day, which is an unexpected side effect that I'm really enjoying. If you work for a small company or somewhere that doesn't want to shell out for a standing desk, you can just prop up your monitor and stuff with packs of paper or something- that's what I'm doing for now. I did get a cushioned mat to stand on, which successfully counteracted my sore feet and lower back ache.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Bring some healthy snacks from home. As a matter of fact I am eating my morning snack right now...apple with peanut butter. Does your building have stairs? I have been known to run up and down mine here a few times per day.
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of these suggestions. I have the same issue - desk job. One thing that I've been doing for the past week is two two-minute planks every day, one full and one elbow. It's not much but I'm feeling a difference.
  • takedajones
    Options
    Bring some healthy snacks from home. As a matter of fact I am eating my morning snack right now...apple with peanut butter. Does your building have stairs? I have been known to run up and down mine here a few times per day.

No stairs.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    <1> To work your chest and shoulders, place both hands on your chair arms and slowly lift your bottom off the chair. Lower yourself back down but stop short of the seat, hold for a few seconds.

<2> Might be a little tougher to go unnoticed but...
    To stretch your back and strengthen your biceps, place your hands on the desk and hang on. Slowly push your chair back until your head is between your arms and you're looking at the floor. Then slowly pull yourself back in

<3> Let your head loll over so that your right ear nearly touches your right shoulder. Using your hand, press your head a little lower (gently, now). Hold for 10 seconds. Relax, and then repeat on the other side.

<4> Sit facing forward, then turn your head to the left and your torso to the right, and hold a few seconds. Repeat alternating sides.

<5> Again, this one might get you noticed: To ease the hamstrings and lower back, push your chair away from your desk and put your right heel up on the desk. Sit up straight, and bend forward just until you feel a gentle stretch in the back of your leg. Flex your foot for a few seconds, and then point it. Bend forward a little farther, flex your foot again, and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat on the other side.

<6> Tighten your buttocks, hold, hold, hold, and then relax. Repeat 15 times.

<7> The same goes for ab squeezes -- just tighten your tummy muscles instead.

<8> roll your shoulders and do neck stretches regularly.

<9> Lift/straighten your legs, hold and release (this is good for legs and abs)

<10> Lift your heels - tighten your calves - hold and release.

<11> Isometric Shrug - While sitting upright, grab side of the chair as though you're trying to lift yourself.
    Do an isometric contraction as if you’re trying to lift the seat of your chair while you’re sitting on it.

<12> Hip flex - While sitting in your chair, lift your right foot a few inches off of the floor. Keep your knee bent at a 90 degree angle and hold the position as long as you are comfortable.

<13> Isometric Biceps Curl - Move chair close to desk. Make a fist while elbow is at 90 degrees and turn hand as if you're doing a hammer curl. Put your hands under the desk and push up against the desk with fist.
    If you have an adjustable chair, you can adjust your height and get strength in different ranges of that arc of a normal biceps curl.

<14> Isometric Triceps - Move chair close to desk. Make a fist while elbow is at 90 degrees and turn hand as though you are doing a hammer curl. Put your hands above the desk and push down toward desk and raise your triceps.

<15> Leg extensions - While sitting in your chair, extend your right leg until it is level with your hip. Hold as long as you are comfortable and then relax it. Alternate sides.

<16> This one might bring attention to you: Calf raises - Stand in front of a desk or other piece of furniture you can hold on to for balance. Raise your heels of the floor and slowly lower them.

<17> This one might bring attention to you: Toe raises - Stand in front of a desk or other piece of furniture you can hold on to for balance. Lift your toes while keeping your heels firmly on the ground.

But, if you have a more private office or not worried about drawing unwanted attention - Jumping Jacks, Running in place, Push ups, Chair Dips, Squats, and Lunges can be good as well.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I used to work somewhere with no stairs.. and it was out in the country with no where to go. I was that girl who would go outside and walk around the building a few times and then go back in. People in their offices stared. It was weird. But it was calming (since I disliked that job I actually walked to calm my anger, not for exercise haha). I would also do squats in the bathroom, but it was a single bathroom. I wouldn't do that in one with several stalls...
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    for snacking I bring carrots and some fruit .... carrots usually make me feel full .... or chew a gum
  • lbruno85
    lbruno85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk all day also. I like to do incline push-ups on my desk. I also keep a exercise bungee cord and do exercises with it also
  • lyndseysolar
    lyndseysolar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work from home (at a desk) for an average of 50-60 hours a week. When I worked in the office I would walk the city on my lunch break, or I'd walk up to the 26th floor to use the bathroom (it was always cleaner.. and I worked on the 24th floor). However, now that I'm home my "time inactive" is monitored and I get a text if I haven't touched a claim in 5 minutes (total BS). I went from 7000-10000 steps a day way down to 1000 steps (so pathetic!). I have no issues snacking (the kitchen is up stairs and I don't want to walk all the way up there), but I do have issues finding time/ways to exercise. On my lunch, I watch TV and step up and down on a stepstool. If my legs start to go numb, I'll do some planking for a minute or 2.
    But the one exercise that I do all day long that will actually make you break a small sweat after awhile..... AGRESSIVE CHAIR DANCING/JAMMIMG! put on an upbeat playlist, and dance around in your chair. I did this in the office too (in a cubicle), people looked at me.. but I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. It's fun, it boosts your mood, and it's just a great way to keep moving!!

Good luck!!