Post-Workout Carbs...yes, they're basically pointless! (Insulin Response Debunked)

Options
Not that this isn't something we're (most of us) well aware of at this point, but I figured a little extra backing to link in threads and assist new members in understanding the facts of the matter couldn't hurt.

Basically...

25Lq4Xg.png

Link ; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25646407

Pretty much, if you still think you have to down some dextrose after training to spike insulin...you're doing it wrong.

Replies

• princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What about the idea of a carb refeed after depleting glycogen to to reset leptin levels. Not for muscle gains but for fat loss?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My snicker is not useless!!
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What about the idea of a carb refeed after depleting glycogen to to reset leptin levels. Not for muscle gains but for fat loss?

Depends on the overall context.

If an individual has been very low carb (or relatively) for an extend period of time during a cutting phase, than a refeed could prove beneficial.

Remember, this study/post is strictly in regards to the myth that consuming post-workout carbohydrates is beneficial for MPS or body composition.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    My snicker is not useless!!

Of course not, it's delicious!

Just giving some reference for new members to understand they don't need to be slamming their post-workout protein shake loaded with dextrose to spike MPS and think it'll give them better results.

Although, this has been understood for a while now, it's nice to have paper backing from a highly accredited individual in the field.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I had Fruit Loops post-workout this week. You will never tell me to put those carbs down! LOL
  • beastcompany
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »
    I had Fruit Loops post-workout this week. You will never tell me to put those carbs down! LOL

Peanut Butter Crunch + Whole Fat milk is typically my go-to post workout meal.

...either that, or a nice big KFC Famous Bowl.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    B)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    No, good info, man. I just look forward to my wee treats. This new info is a tad disappointing actually, as we can't really shut the low GI folks down with the 'insulin is anabolic' argument as much.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Almost every dealing with nutrient/supplement timing is worthless. The only time it's useful is if you are an elite athlete at the pinnacle of your fitness level, in which case it might give you a minor edge.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    No, good info, man. I just look forward to my wee treats. This new info is a tad disappointing actually, as we can't really shut the low GI folks down with the 'insulin is anabolic' argument as much.

True, but there are plenty of valid arguements to discredit the "Low GI" Debate, the primary being that dose/context of the OVERALL meal + prior meals has to be taken into consideration when debating the digestion rate of nutrients.

The fact that an individual food in the meal is LOW GI is really irrelevant when we take into consideration the overall nutrient composition of the meal + prior meals.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    Additionally...

Just want to ensure that for those who aren't actually taking the time to read the abstract, they're informed of this fact.

Carbohydrates PWO may not be effective for increasing MPS/body composition..

HOWEVER, it is shown that carbohydrates are protein/muscle sparing and if taken prior to, or intra- training they could be somewhat beneficial to prevention of muscle breakdown.

Although, to what extent is largely debatable and any pratically to intentially altering your pre-training nutrition to include a solid carbohydrate dose is not really shown, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Fat loss happens with deficit. And one burns more fat at rest (sleeping/non physical activity) than at any other time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have been instructed by my trainer to eat a high protein snack after my workout to halp "mend" my muscles after a hard workout. My workouts are just for weight loss and toning, not building muscle, so I don't really concern myself with the science behind this stuff. It werkz 4 me. ;)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It's needed for repair though, and if you're a multi sport athlete with a training session later on the day or the next day, those carbs need to get to work as soon as possible.

Too tired to look up all the long words. How many athletes were involved in the study. Does Brad have any vested interests in this information?
  • beastcompany
    Options
    I have been instructed by my trainer to eat a high protein snack after my workout to halp "mend" my muscles after a hard workout. My workouts are just for weight loss and toning, not building muscle, so I don't really concern myself with the science behind this stuff. It werkz 4 me. ;)

Sadly, most "certified" trainers are taught VIA textbooks that still tote outdated dietary and training advice...and then they pass on this advice to clients who don't know better than to do otherwise because the individual advising them holds "credentials".

Although, when it comes down to it, personal preference and finding what works best for your body should be the ultimate factor in deciding how to proceed with your dietary lifestyle.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    It's needed for repair though, and if you're a multi sport athlete with a training session later on the day or the next day, those carbs need to get to work as soon as possible.

Too tired to look up all the long words. How many athletes were involved in the study. Does Brad have any vested interests in this information?
    Agreed, and I'm sure he would too in regards to high performance athletes and even long duration training periods where glycogen depletion would be a concern.

This is simply an abstract, and I have no idea how to or interest in evaluating the full context study.

However, Brad has shown time and again (with assistance from Alan in a variety of work), that he has no bias in regards to training/nutritional studies and simply works to provide the best evidence possible.

The majority of his studies are in regards to the ever day individual/trainee and he provides evidence/advice accordingly.

As far as I can see, this study was conducted accordingly and conclusions based on what would be optimal for the average gym goer.
  • Springfield1970
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The best thing I ever did was see the eating diaries of Olympic athletes. It confirmed some of my ideas and knowledge. It also made me realise how superstitious and faddy we can be.

When I was on the UD2 which was by far the craziest diet I've ever been on, my power workout days were like being on crack, and the high carb loading after these workouts ( the latter half of the week) brought some very quick gains and fast repair compared to my cutting and bulking methods. I've never lifted heavier since. Half the week was spent glycogen depleting on low calorie, the other half, high carb high calorie insulin mania driven power workouts. I was recovering competely on 4 total body workouts a week. Ug.

Of course it's anecdotal, but sometimes these experiences are very hard to forget.
  • beastcompany
    Options
    The best thing I ever did was see the eating diaries of Olympic athletes. It confirmed some of my ideas and knowledge.

Of course, we have to take into consideration the VAST difference between top level athletes performing at that kind of intensity, versus the average trainee.

The dietary requirements are going to be highly different, and when you reach such a level of success/experience in your given sport, things such as nutrient timing, etc. may become much more impactful.

Again though, this is more just geared towards the every day gym goer, or individual we would see frequent the forum seeking advice.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    The reality is that muscles worked out don't mend till the next day, so essentially it's MORE important for nutrition the day after than the day of.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The reality is that muscles worked out don't mend till the next day, so essentially it's MORE important for nutrition the day after than the day of.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Interesting, but surely it takes a day to digest all the micros and macros ready to repair the next day. Why delay that?