Ice Cream Substitute

Options
rodencala980
rodencala980 Posts: 1 Member
I am horribly addicted to ice cream and I'm trying to find a substitute. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. Before we inevitably get into frozen bananas and whatnot, I'd really suggest working on portioning out your ice cream and enjoying a little bit at a time. Maybe you don't keep any in the house, and you get a cone as a treat from Ben and Jerry's now and then. Then as you get better at moderation, you can keep it around again. Life's too short to not eat real ice cream.
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    laughing cow has good ice cream sandwiches that are low fat. Also weight watchers sells a line of ice cream products that would fit into a diet. I know myself...if I keep something in the house that is my downfall..I will eat the entire thing!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why is everything an addiction??????

just eat some ice cream ...wow...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Gelato
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Beer
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are pretty good.

There's the frozen banana in a blender trick that's not bad. I add cocoa powder or peanut butter to mine, usually.

Fudge pops are only about 40 calories each.

But if you can, I find that the best thing is to buy some good quality ice cream, measure out only one portion into a small bowl, and savor it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Because if it's an addiction it takes away personal responsibility

I eat ice cream, gelato or some baked good daily, I just make it fit into my day.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I just save calories for small portions of ice cream. Different flavors and different brands have vastly different calories metrics. 1/4 c of green tea ice cream is about 60 calories; 1/2 cup of Breyer's strawberry is about 150 (but 3/4 c of Trader Joe's eggnog ice cream is 375 calories). And Haagen Dasz strawberry is 315 for 3/4 cup.

I don't have any suggestions for substitutions; I just have the real thing when I can.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I too like the Skinny Cow and WW ice cream bars. Edy's slow churned has tiny little tubs of ice cream that I also sometimes get for preportioned servings.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Why do you come to every post where someone is asking for tips on how to limit something or find an alternative to something just to tell them they shouldn't do it?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow snickerdoodle sandwiches are awesome! Even if you splurge and eat the whole package, it's only about 900 cals, but why not promise yourself one every evening and just fit it into your day?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Because if it's an addiction it takes away personal responsibility

I eat ice cream, gelato or some baked good daily, I just make it fit into my day.

I need to start an "Addicted to Tomatoes" thread.

OP try to reduce the amount of ice cream you eat by one spoon every day, and before you know it you will be eating a small enough portion to not break the calorie bank.

Another option: let the ice cream reach a soft-serve consistency, mix in any kind of berries you like, then freeze again for 30 minutes. This way you cut the ice cream amount eating the same size portion you usually do.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Why do you come to every post where someone is asking for tips on how to limit something or find an alternative to something just to tell them they shouldn't do it?

why do you follow me around commenting on what I have to comment on?

Are you stalking me???

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I am horribly addicted to ice cream and I'm trying to find a substitute. Anyone have any suggestions?

What you need to do is work on moderation. Try scooping out a serving or two & saying to yourself that you can eat more the next day. If you have ice cream flavors that you cannot moderate then I wouldn't buy them until you can practice more control over them. Ben & Jerry's has single serving cups of some of their flavors & you could always buy those ice cream packs that have vanilla & vanilla & chocolate mixed.

You could buy the Skinny Cow & other various bars, but if you have a weakness for ice cream related treats then you could still end up eating more than you want of them.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow snickerdoodle sandwiches are awesome! Even if you splurge and eat the whole package, it's only about 900 cals, but why not promise yourself one every evening and just fit it into your day?

Those sound good. I'll have to add them to the list of things to try.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend Skinny Cow ice cream enough. I have it worked into my weekend food diary.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    Frozen yogurt? I'd tell you to just eat ice cream in moderation, but since you're posting this thread I doubt that's easy for you to do.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love skinny cow and I found ice cream made with coconut or soy milk a few months back. Yeah that is some good stuff. I just make sure I portion it out in a coffee mug so it looks like I am getting more. :) I also like the healthy choice fudge bars 100 calories for one bar and they are packaged individually.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. Before we inevitably get into frozen bananas and whatnot, I'd really suggest working on portioning out your ice cream and enjoying a little bit at a time. Maybe you don't keep any in the house, and you get a cone as a treat from Ben and Jerry's now and then. Then as you get better at moderation, you can keep it around again. Life's too short to not eat real ice cream.

Agreed. And I will often "splurge" on more expensive ice creams with a lot of flavor. I find them more satisfying to have a single serving (which always seems so small when you first start weighing it out) when the flavor is really good and rich.

And the Eddy's slow churn also has some good flavors, which is lower in calories.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are pretty good.

There's the frozen banana in a blender trick that's not bad. I add cocoa powder or peanut butter to mine, usually.

Fudge pops are only about 40 calories each.

But if you can, I find that the best thing is to buy some good quality ice cream, measure out only one portion into a small bowl, and savor it.

These are all pretty good ideas. But OP, if you're like me, the low calories of each of these will make you say, "Oh goody, I can eat 2 or 3 of these instead of just 1!" Proceed with caution.