I threw away Cheesecake!!!

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    exstromn wrote: »
    I did the same thing with a donut the other day, I saw it and wanted to eat it. I took a bite, then decided it wasn't worth it. I spit it out and threw the rest away so it was unretrieveable in the trash can. I decided the calories it contained and the non-nutritional value it possesed was "too expensive" to waste my calories on. You will remember this small victory far longer than any piece of random cheesecake you ate. Be proud of yourself!!!!

OMG! Are you my coworker? Was this free donuts that someone brought in to work? If so, I missed out on donuts because my coworkers ate them all or threw them away before I saw the box and I was sad.

i know its selfish, she should have put the bitten donut back in the pile so you could have it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've hesitated to weigh in on this, but I have to confess that I'm surprised by the vehemence of some of these responses. Maybe this is because we are looking at this from different perspectives. Maybe it's because some of you really love cheesecake.

Personally this sounds like a great NSV for the OP. Good for you! I understand. You didn't really need the treat, but in a moment of weakness took it anyway. Then you had a moment of resolve and disposed of it. I'm not sure how this is rude or potentially leading to an ED. Its not like you took it with the intention of throwing it away. I personally would not want some food that someone took and then decided to return. Bleargh!

In the future it would be better to not take it at all, unless you plan to eat it. Perhaps this is a step in this direction.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love cheesecake. I love making cheesecakes and sharing them. Kudos to you OP for regaining your resolve before actually eating any. The only thing I object to is that the slice of cheesecake was thrown away. Why not find another co worker who might want it or take it back with a note that you took it but realized it didn't fit into your calorie goals. I just know I'd be PO'd if I found out someone had taken a slice of cheesecake I'd made and then just threw it away.
  • tiffvea0528
    tiffvea0528 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WayneBradt wrote: »
    Food milestone yesterday. Mid afternoon, about that time hunger starts. Quiet office, I walk in the kitchen and someone put out a whole cheesecake on the counter to share with everyone. My instinct, grab some and I did. Walked back to my office, began logging it in MFP. Right before I was about to eat it I stopped an threw it in the trash. I'm sure for some this sounds simple, for me this was huge. One, it's cheesecake, two I have difficulty wasting food (probably from growing up without much of it) and three it was cheesecake. Kinda proud of this moment.

Good for you!!! Better to WASTE than go to your WAIST! :smile:
  • tiffvea0528
    tiffvea0528 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    maryjboom wrote: »
    So what he threw it out. It was there for the taking and he chose not to eat it. If I was a co-worker I would not want him to return it.
    Good job not eating it. I am sure that was difficult.

I agree, they need to give him a break. It was his Victory for saying no to food, no to temptation. When he got the piece, he intended on eating it, but then decided not to.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Adorable puppy is adorable.

OP - For SHAME! As someone who absolutely loves to bake and loves to share the wonderful things I bake, I find this tale to be simply rude :angry: Why punish the cheesecake?
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    No one in this thread has ever made an irrational split decision when faced with inner conflict...

Right...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    No one in this thread has ever made an irrational split decision when faced with inner conflict...

Right...

exactly.
  • Poodles56
    Options
    They brought lunch to the office, there was none left by the time I came to the break room - I was not happy - but secretly I was counting the calories that I did NOT ingest.
    So, the world is back in balance.

As for throwing a slice of cheesecake - good for you! It is a learning process, next time you will not pick up the slice of cake - and I will bring my own lunch ;))
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    besides the fact that throwing away food sets one up for a bad relationship with food and indicates slightly disordered thinking...but other then that, OP should be good to go ...

i think the op should have pre logged it first and then thought about it, but could it not also just show abit of control. save the calories for something else later?

control would be leaving it in the fridge, not eating it, and saving it for a day when OP wanted it.

throwing away perfectly good cheesecake because it is viewed as "bad" is, in my opinion, semi disordered eating.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    exstromn wrote: »
    I did the same thing with a donut the other day, I saw it and wanted to eat it. I took a bite, then decided it wasn't worth it. I spit it out and threw the rest away so it was unretrieveable in the trash can. I decided the calories it contained and the non-nutritional value it possesed was "too expensive" to waste my calories on. You will remember this small victory far longer than any piece of random cheesecake you ate. Be proud of yourself!!!!

OMG! Are you my coworker? Was this free donuts that someone brought in to work? If so, I missed out on donuts because my coworkers ate them all or threw them away before I saw the box and I was sad.

i know its selfish, she should have put the bitten donut back in the pile so you could have it.

no, shouldn't have taken it in the first place.
  • shanrennbing
    shanrennbing Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wish I had that willpower. I couldn't throw away the cheesecake leftover in my house. I ate two pieces and forced my children to eat the rest so it would be gone. I wish I could have just thrown it away!
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The very first time I joined WW our meeting leader for the night talked about how when she was 1/2 way through her weight loss journey she went to the store one night with a binge mindset. She was super stressed that day and went and bought a box of oreos and twinkies. She got in her car and started driving towards home with the plan of devouring every last one while she was driving. She opened the box of oreos and ate one and suddenly felt conviction about what she was about to do. She knew she would regret the binge and feel bad about sabotaging her day's efforts up to that point. She pulled over and found a trash can and threw her binge food away. ALL OF IT!

At that moment she planted that seed in my head that it's OK TO THROW OUT food if it is going to make you sick (mentally or physically)! I had been raised to clean my plate and to never waste a single morsel hence my weight problem and my guilt over wasting any amount of food. It opened my world and freed me in a way I could not explain. It was validation for me.

So to the OP who threw out cheesecake I stand up and APPLAUD you! It is OK to throw it away instead of eating it and then regretting it later. You are getting so strong in your mindset by even allowing yourself permission to throw it away!

For everyone bashing him about throwing away cheesecake can you put yourself in his shoes for just a minute and think about how much of a victory that is??? And I think it's safe to say I think he learned his lesson and won't take a coworkers treat next time. Right OP? ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    The very first time I joined WW our meeting leader for the night talked about how when she was 1/2 way through her weight loss journey she went to the store one night with a binge mindset. She was super stressed that day and went and bought a box of oreos and twinkies. She got in her car and started driving towards home with the plan of devouring every last one while she was driving. She opened the box of oreos and ate one and suddenly felt conviction about what she was about to do. She knew she would regret the binge and feel bad about sabotaging her day's efforts up to that point. She pulled over and found a trash can and threw her binge food away. ALL OF IT!

At that moment she planted that seed in my head that it's OK TO THROW OUT food if it is going to make you sick (mentally or physically)! I had been raised to clean my plate and to never waste a single morsel hence my weight problem and my guilt over wasting any amount of food. It opened my world and freed me in a way I could not explain. It was validation for me.

So to the OP who threw out cheesecake I stand up and APPLAUD you! It is OK to throw it away instead of eating it and then regretting it later. You are getting so strong in your mindset by even allowing yourself permission to throw it away!

For everyone bashing him about throwing away cheesecake can you put yourself in his shoes for just a minute and think about how much of a victory that is??? And I think it's safe to say I think he learned his lesson and won't take a coworkers treat next time. Right OP? ;)

if I was in OP's shoes I would save the cheesecake for a day that I wanted it and it fit my calorie/macro/micro goal for the day …OR I would just save t for a day that I wanted to eat some cheesecake..

it is not a victory, it is a failure of epic proportions.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I bought a slice of cheesecake today. Ate half of it. Saved the rest for tomorrow. 300 calories under my calorie goal. Back when I used to throw out bags of chips I bought in anger at myself or frustration because of eating "bad" foods, I definitely wasn't trying to learn how to eat foods I love normally.
  • nickwallace503
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with that at all. It's just cheesecake, calm down everyone. And if I was his coworker, and he offered it to me, honestly it would make me feel strange, and I would most likely chuck it myself and get my own piece. Props to you man. I have been rejecting sweets for about a month now, and I feel great! A bit sick right now because something is going around, but still, feel awesome!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »

Right...

But did we all start a thread asking to be congratulated about it?
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Why did you throw out perfectly good cheesecake? Just don't take a slice.

This is my thought. Sorry, but as someone who has struggled having enough food in the house in the past and not having money to get more, it bugs me when people waste food. Plus, there's nothing wrong with having a slice of cheesecake. Just fit it into your calories. Hate to be a debbie downer but wasted food is one of my pet peeves, lol.

• ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    Options

if I was in OP's shoes I would save the cheesecake for a day that I wanted it and it fit my calorie/macro/micro goal for the day …OR I would just save t for a day that I wanted to eat some cheesecake..

You are a strong person mentally then. It must be wonderful to be so disciplined and strong every day :)

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

You are a strong person mentally then. It must be wonderful to be so disciplined and strong every day :)

yeah, i would just eat it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!