Alcohol

Options
Hello everyone... I been on this weight loss journey for about a year lost 50lbs got comfortable and gained 10 back... I feel like I eat clean and I work out all the time... I haven't given up alcohol. But started feb 1st I decided j wasn't going to drink for the month and see if that helps.. Have any of you seen a diffence when u cut out alcohol?

Replies

• Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink at all since having kids - maybe twice a year at most - but when I was younger I always found that alcohol completely killed my appetite so I actually lost a lot of weight that way.

Between barely eating and dancing 3+ hours per night, 4 nights a week I ended up dropping 15lbs in 2 months. And that's when I didn't even have a lot to lose: At 5'7 and 155lbs, I was far from being overweight.

I guess it depends on how much you drink, what you drink (sugary mixed drinks have a ton of calories) and whether you can control your drunken food cravings. If you are the type to have a few drinks then dive into a plate of cheese fries, then you should avoid it.
  • strmbreez
    strmbreez Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I see my biggest difference when I cut out alcohol. I've lost 12lbs in two weeks, eating the right calories and such but I was having a glass or two of wine per night, and drinking on the weekends. I'm pretty sure quite a bit of my loss is because I quit my drinking. Not only does it break down to sugar, it makes you retain water and for me, that equals a gain of like 5lbs on the scale after a night of full on drunkenness.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Although I don't drink as much as I used to these days, I actually log my booze.

During my preps, I cut it out completely, and I notice a difference right from the start.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    :s Cutting out alcohol?? I don't quite understand what this means.
  • Cobourg
    Cobourg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I only drink wine on weekends and not to excess but the sugar is the thing to watch for.
  • hayleygirl01
    hayleygirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I work in the bar industry... And I'm a party promoter... That's my job is to get everyone to have fun, drink... And well party.. So it's not just drinking "casually". This will be interesting this weekend. I'lol be fooling these hooligans with water shots (for me) :)
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    :s Cutting out alcohol?? I don't quite understand what this means.

HA! B)
  • mantonioli00
    Options
    Doesn't really help me LOSE weight when I cut out alcohol, but I look thinner because I retain less water when I don't drink and I find I am more active when I don't drink because I wake up less tired. This contributed to overall health and consistency for me.

Hope that helps!
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Water shots is a great idea!
    A small glass of red wine here and there won't kill you, so for my job I also need to "socialize" (but that the same kind as you!) so I get a glass of red wine and "milk" it all evening. People assume you're on your # glass, but it's still the same one.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I think I drank about four times last year and before that I was a regular drinker and a big fan of happy hours, bottomless brunches and wine on weekends at home. Now I still do happy hour but for the food. I just didn't want to drink my calories anymore and for me it made a difference in how I look and feel. Couple other post mentioned bloat, overall health and just being consistent and I agree with those points.
  • Brimixed
    Brimixed Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    How funny that you posted this! I've actually given up alcohol for a month now and can honestly say that I do not feel different one way or the other. The only difference has been the extra cash in my wallet! I feel more empowered and in control, but as far as a change in health: none at all. I did loose a few extra pounds, but it's hard to tell if it was just from the clean eating or the alchy. I wouldn't mind doing it again! Feel free to add me if you want a cheerleader ;)
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    strmbreez wrote: »
    I see my biggest difference when I cut out alcohol. I've lost 12lbs in two weeks, eating the right calories and such but I was having a glass or two of wine per night, and drinking on the weekends. I'm pretty sure quite a bit of my loss is because I quit my drinking. Not only does it break down to sugar, it makes you retain water and for me, that equals a gain of like 5lbs on the scale after a night of full on drunkenness.

Same here. I'm going to have to cut out alcohol almost altogether. At first I know I'm going to have to stop cold turkey. Then eventually (I may try the 30-day thing too) just have wine here and there. But right now the beer and shots are killing me. It could be a difference of 5 lbs for me also, and which is why my ticker is still at 0 pounds lost. I've gained weight from my starting weight, so now even when I lose a few pounds my ticker still doesn't move. It's discouraging, and I know it's all from alcohol alone. When I don't drink, I eat really well. But drinking on top of stuffing my face afterwards like I didn't eat all day has literally made me gain about 30 lbs over the last year. About a year ago someone I work with asked why my face looked swollen...it was after a night of drinking. It's that bad. Over the summer when I didn't drink for a single week, one of my friends noticed and said it looked like I was losing weight. It has a profound effect on me...I can't wait to see the results from not drinking :smile:
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to shuck it for awhile after this weekend (out with family, biking, and hiking and celebrating but no drunk hiking or biking!). I definitely eat too much when I drink and even two nights a week is too much. Plus the next day I never feel quite as good as I could.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I cut it out because I don't like to drink my calories - especially on something that isn't going to benefit me in any way.

Now that I lost the weight I still don't drink that much because I don't know what my tolerance level is. I haven't had more than one or 2 drinks in months now.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone... I been on this weight loss journey for about a year lost 50lbs got comfortable and gained 10 back... I feel like I eat clean and I work out all the time... I haven't given up alcohol. But started feb 1st I decided j wasn't going to drink for the month and see if that helps.. Have any of you seen a diffence when u cut out alcohol?

Then what happens with you start drinking again next month??

You've obviously been successful with weight loss so you know what to do... Get back to the basics, lose that 10 pounds again, and don't get so comfortable next time :)
  • Ptime24
    Ptime24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thats a good job ...thats what i need to do because drinking sometimes on the weekends is half my problem
  • SLappe
    SLappe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did a Whole30 last year. Gave up WAY more than just alcohol. Lost 2 pounds which came back in a week. Wasn't worth it!
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Options
    What about drinking alcohol that doesn't take you over your daily goal? I mean I do have a couple drinks a night, but I do account for those.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Have any of you seen a diffence when u cut out alcohol?

The girls at the bar don't look near as nice as usual.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am trying to give it up for Feb. also! Day 5, feels like day 50. I am curious to see if I do better at the gym, or just feel better in general. It's really just a new challenge for me...