weight room etiquette

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Yep ask, re-rack, clean up sweat.

I like extend a little good will. I'll help re-rack someones plates if I am near and its inbetween my sets - even though you can't add it your total lifted.

My only fear is I'll make friends and they'll want to chat.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yep ask, re-rack, clean up sweat.

I like extend a little good will. I'll help re-rack someones plates if I am near and its inbetween my sets - even though you can't add it your total lifted.

My only fear is I'll make friends and they'll want to chat.

:lol:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There are no rules. Walk in, find your stuff, act like a respectful human being (if you think someone is using something ask, put stuff back where you got it from) and you'll be perfectly fine. 99% of the people in the free weight section are extremely nice and helpful, MUCH MORE so than the people in the machine areas.

Don't worry bout nuthin, just go work out.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Also if there is something you don't know how to do ask someone. I had guys say can you watch my deadlift form since you deadlift so much. Also had gals ask me if they are doing something correctly. These people must feel I know so much about lifting which I kind of do but sometimes my form breaks down too.

I do not thing any sensible person would be upset if you ask at there rest period something about lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Aha ...crap.I left weights on the squat bar. I just walked away and didn't even think about taking them off. Maybe I am lacking common sense afterall.

Maybe, maybe not... but certainly consideration for others.

Unless when she encountered it, she found it already loaded with someone else's plates and thought the rule was that it was up to the next person to set themselves up

Who assumes it's OK to not pick up after themselves?

Meh. No biggie. Probably wasn't enough weight to really inconvenience anyone. I couldn't care less if I take a couple 45s off a bar, but I'll bristle at unloading 1000 from a leg press.

Besides, I used to work out at a gym where it was considered rude to completely unload the bar and put the plates back. Next person needed those and retrieving the plates and reloading was a waste of time.
  • bongosnake
    bongosnake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been going to my gym daily for years (and I had no idea what NROLFW is), usually in the morning. That's definitely the best time if you're a newbie, since there's less pressure to have your s*** together when you hit the equipment. It's tough during peak hours.

As far as who is using the equipment, my rule is if its open (no body, no towel or bottle), its open- regardless of the weights on it or the dumbells on the floor around the bench. I have one hour a day to bust my butt and keep this corpse from falling apart and I'm not wasting it wondering why the jackoffs didn't re-rack their weights. In 20 years I've had two people, both a**holes, tell me "hey, I was using that".
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    forrl wrote: »
    What JHC7324 said. I first walked into the free weight side of the gym ten months ago and was terrified. I was horribly self conscious and very aware that I was the only female there and using piddly weights while it seemed like everyone else was using massive weights. I focused hard on what I was doing, kept my earbuds in my ears and cleaned up after myself.

I'm incredibly shy and introverted but if you go consistently and at the same time, you'll begin to notice others who have the same schedule as you. Give them secret names. It will help you not be intimidated by them.

Realize that when you think people are looking at you, they probably are. But not in a bad way. They are just resting between sets and absently noting who's there and what they are doing. And you'll start looking at them too.

And then one day, ManWithAYellowHat or ManWhoMarchesToADifferentDrummer or maybe even Thor will ask you if you are done squatting or give you encouragement and then pretty soon, you won't even notice or care that you are still the only female in the area. You'll just be one of the lifters, trying to lift just a little more weight than you did the session before. Just like your buddies.

Oh can I play?

OldBro, Vic Tanny, iPod-Guy, Partial-Guy, BroMuscles, Mean Jean, HNB, & Badittude, are some of the guys/gals I see.

I can only imagine what nicknames that I have been given.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    1. Sometimes it's appropriate to leave weights on, sometimes it is slovenly and lazy. Depends on gym standard.

2. If you're using multiple barbells, be cool with working in, or losing one.

3. Wipe up sweat angels.

4. Don't assume that you're an important person there.

5. If you're doing something cool, you'll be watched, enjoy it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Besides, I used to work out at a gym where it was considered rude to completely unload the bar and put the plates back. Next person needed those and retrieving the plates and reloading was a waste of time.

Is that common? Even if the next person can lift the weight, chances are decent that they'll have to change bar position/height, right? At least that been my experience at both the gyms I've worked at at.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unless you're in some superman gym where everyone considers 225 the minimum warm-up weight for the bench (such places exist, not that I'll ever be in one), def re-rack the weights.

Hardest part for me is when something hasn't been re-racked, and there's no towel or water bottle holding the spot. If someone's nearby, I'll ask if they've seen anyone using the equipment...if negative, I'll go for it. If no one is around at all (rare), I figure it's mine. I've yet to have a problem using that method.

Oh, and if you need to get a plate from another piece of equipment, don't do it while someone's in the middle of a set :-D
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations for breaking through this barrier. You’re going to get great things from this temporary discomfort.

You have one thing going for you that I will cheekily call, “overies.” Most men are going to cut you a lot of slack because you’re female and inexperienced. Over time, you’ll get over being green, show the results of your work, and blend right in. So, don’t sweat it in the short run.

Here are a few basics:
    - Wipe your equipment after use (bring a towel, especially if you’re a sweater, like me).
    - Don’t cross in front of someone and the mirror if it is obvious they are using the mirror to focus.
    - If in doubt about whether someone is using a bench or some equipment, ask if they are done.
    - Find an open place to do your work, so you’re not blocking the dumbbell rack, squat rack, etc.
    - Don’t use the bench to rest if you’re not using it for the exercise (ignore this rule if there are other benches available or you’re alone).
    - Don’t be offended if someone offers advise. Men don’t do this with other men, but for some reason, I see guys doing it for newbie women all the time.
    - If someone asks for a spot, spot them. If you have doubts in how they want you to spot them, ask. If you are uncomfortable in spotting (e.g., the weights are too heavy for you), then be honest with them and bow out.
    - Work hard and, especially during busy times, efficiently. Move off equipment when you are done. If it is busy, you should also let someone work in on the equipment unless you only have one set left.
    - Don’t be afraid to ask for help (advise, a spot, etc.). We may be grunting and sweating, but most of us like to help others.
    Enjoy!
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Is that common? Even if the next person can lift the weight, chances are decent that they'll have to change bar position/height, right? At least that been my experience at both the gyms I've worked at at.

The only machine I have pause on as to whether or not strip all the weights down is the leg press. I normally do, because, in my gym, we have have little old ladies that will do the leg press without plates - but it always feels like a enormous inconvenience when I have too.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there! First: Congrats on working up the courage to step into the weight room in the first place!

All the others have already thrown in their ideas about how to behave around heavy weights. I'd like to add some practical advise (from my own experience)...
    Don't expect others to practice proper gym etiquette...as sad as it might seem... Be prepared to have obstacles thrown into your workout. If the equipment is limited, don't rely on a squat rack, move to the power cage...e.g...
    Don't panic if there are no barbells, grab some dumbbells instead. When you write up your workout, have some alternate exercises listed that can be done with other equipment, so you have a chance to just keep going and get done without risking injury due to cold muscles while waiting. bodybuilding.com has a great library, where you can find suggestions for similar exercises to most lifts.
    Be flexible in the sequence of your exercises, unless you intend to 'go heavy' on a certain lift, and you wouldn't want to exhaust yourself before you get to it.
    Don't be afraid to grab a bench or other small equipment and move it to an area that provides more space for your exercise. Just move it back after you are done.

I found, that when I use the above listed tricks, I can avoid most run-ins with other gym visitors, and get through my workouts with a lot less stress.

Other than that, just have FUN! Good luck!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Hardest part for me is when something hasn't been re-racked, and there's no towel or water bottle holding the spot. If someone's nearby, I'll ask if they've seen anyone using the equipment...if negative, I'll go for it. If no one is around at all (rare), I figure it's mine. I've yet to have a problem using that method.

That's been my experience, as well.
    Oh, and if you need to get a plate from another piece of equipment, don't do it while someone's in the middle of a set :-D

Yep, had that happen, too. I was like, DAFUQ, dude?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    Hi there! First: Congrats on working up the courage to step into the weight room in the first place!

All the others have already thrown in their ideas about how to behave around heavy weights. I'd like to add some practical advise (from my own experience)...
    Don't expect others to practice proper gym etiquette...as sad as it might seem... Be prepared to have obstacles thrown into your workout. If the equipment is limited, don't rely on a squat rack, move to the power cage...e.g...
    Don't panic if there are no barbells, grab some dumbbells instead. When you write up your workout, have some alternate exercises listed that can be done with other equipment, so you have a chance to just keep going and get done without risking injury due to cold muscles while waiting. bodybuilding.com has a great library, where you can find suggestions for similar exercises to most lifts.
    Be flexible in the sequence of your exercises, unless you intend to 'go heavy' on a certain lift, and you wouldn't want to exhaust yourself before you get to it.
    Don't be afraid to grab a bench or other small equipment and move it to an area that provides more space for your exercise. Just move it back after you are done.

I found, that when I use the above listed tricks, I can avoid most run-ins with other gym visitors, and get through my workouts with a lot less stress.

Other than that, just have FUN! Good luck!

All good advice but I especially like what I bolded. You might have to change exercises or change the order of them or move around to other spots (might not be a spot in front of a mirror, for example) to do them.

And I'll second or third the suggestion to go in the morning. It's usually less busy at that time and for some gyms, the middle of the day is less busy too. Evenings and weekends are usually the busiest times.
  • colingilbert13
    Options
    Biggest rule of them all: Don't use a bench to set your things on (I.e water bottle, phone, etc...) a good way to tell if someone is using a machine is to see if there is weight loaded on it or a towel laying on it. Most people in the gym are pretty nice about it, if you happen to use equipment that someone else was using simply apologize and go about your workout
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everything you need to know you learned in kindergarden.

Share- play nice- ask to borrow things if someone is using it- and put it back when you're done.
    - Clean up your work station when you're done.

It's not rocket science.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    bongosnake wrote: »
    I have been going to my gym daily for years (and I had no idea what NROLFW is), usually in the morning. That's definitely the best time if you're a newbie, since there's less pressure to have your s*** together when you hit the equipment. It's tough during peak hours.

As far as who is using the equipment, my rule is if its open (no body, no towel or bottle), its open- regardless of the weights on it or the dumbells on the floor around the bench. I have one hour a day to bust my butt and keep this corpse from falling apart and I'm not wasting it wondering why the jackoffs didn't re-rack their weights. In 20 years I've had two people, both a**holes, tell me "hey, I was using that".

NROLFW, is New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler and and Alwyn Cosgove. Haven't looked at this book specifically, but the New Rules series is pretty good. Heavy emphasis on compound movements. I was told the "For Women" version also concentrates on compound movements with special emphasis on why 99%+ plus women lifting heavy (for them) won't get jacked, but will develop a fit, lean look as well as get strong.
    Options
    If you fart, own it.
  • AndreaWhite611
    AndreaWhite611 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you fart, own it.

Wouldn't think of any other option!