Considering Intermittent Fasting to bust through plateau! Thoughts?

Options
I read up on how to get past a plateau and this was one of the suggestions. But I'm unsure. I've given up all grains, I've upped my exercise, but after losing 10kg, nothing! !! ! What's going on?

Replies

• SLappe
    SLappe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! It's called an eating disorder, if you think about it. I tried it. Had to go for an ultrasound bcuz I had a period (menopause). I was perfectly fine. It messes with your hormones!
  • AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    SLappe wrote: »
    Don't do it! It's called an eating disorder, if you think about it. I tried it. Had to go for an ultrasound bcuz I had a period (menopause). I was perfectly fine. It messes with your hormones!

Intermittment fasting an eating disorder? I dont agree at all.

Your metabolism has probably adapted

Up your Cals very slowly every week by 100kcals and keep a close eye on the scales

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Eat more, move more, lose more. Pick up yoga and strength training.
  • captainjorge
    Options
    Haven't tried it myself, but I used to believe that you "have" to eat before a hard workout first thing in the morning. I've proved myself wrong. A little coffee and good to go. I was probably overestimating how many calories I really need.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The what now?!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I read up on how to get past a plateau and this was one of the suggestions. But I'm unsure. I've given up all grains, I've upped my exercise, but after losing 10kg, nothing! !! ! What's going on?

You just need to eat a bit less if you're logging accurately but not losing weight.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Intermittent fasting is not considered disordered eating. While eating disorders certainly involve behaviors, a primary focus is on someone's attitude and relationship with food. We each have to choose the times of day we eat, and to base it on natural hunger signals is the best way to have something stick. Many people aren't inclined to eat in the mornings. It sounds like IF just isn't the right type of eating schedule for you. For someone like me who doesn't have an appetite in the morning and ensures they get enough calories by the end of the day, it's a great arrangement. Would you suggest people choosing IF force themselves to eat when not hungry? It's possible your hormone balance was influenced by other factors.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Oh please @SLappe‌ .... you should do some research before throwing around blatantly false information and scare mongering :angry:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Shaneen,

Did you know that a plateau just means you are eating at maintenance? The only way to "get past" that is to eat less calories than your burn.

Do you weigh your food? Log everything you eat? Log exercise, or eat exercise calorie back?

How much do you have to lose? What are your stats?

Is you diary open so you can get more detailed advice?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Intermittent fasting is not an eating disorder, it's a way of life for many people. However, i don't believe its purpose is to "get past a plateau".
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I love mfp. It's like various offshoots of the same religion squabbling over doctrine.

You have the orthodox faith (calorie counters) with paleo, low carb, timing, fasting, pull taking, offshoots.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've had great results with intermittent fasting in the past. I was doing the 5:2 program and had joined a 5:2 group here on MFP. I was convinced of it by a BBC show touting the lifestyle and many purported health benefits (in particular regarding the brain and aging). For me, it was quite hard and though I did lose some pounds quickly, I don't think at this time it's a good long term strategy for me. I might dip in again for a few weeks, or try a 9/15 day or such. If I hit any sort of a plateau I might also do 5:2 for a couple of weeks. Best of luck!
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love mfp. It's like various offshoots of the same religion squabbling over doctrine.

You have the orthodox faith (calorie counters) with paleo, low carb, timing, fasting, pull taking, offshoots.

Me too
  • kbeard26
    kbeard26 Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm an intermittent faster but at the end of the day it's still all about calories. IF could possibly help you. It depends on what you are eating like any other diet. You would need to give us more details on your current diet. How long have you been dieting? How many calories are you eating a day? How much you weight? (can help because sometimes we are eating too little or too much) Are you measuring your food? (using a scale for everything?) Are you getting enough vegetables and protein or are you just eating junk? I'm not saying you can't lose on eating junk but eating more raw vegetables are better. Are you drinking enough water? Are you Drinking alcohol while on your diet? Also you said you've given up all grains? Are you low carbing or something? Ok that's enough...we just don't know your diet well enough to give a good answer.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! It's called an eating disorder, if you think about it.
    1y3tjttcdclm.gif

• SLLRunner
    Options

What?

It's not about calorie counting, it's about a calorie deficit. How you choose to be accountable regarding the calorie deficit is 100 percent up to the individual.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I think everyone agrees that a calorie deficit is needed. The bit we argue about is the "how" which is pretty highly personalised. There is no problem per-say with any approach proivded you get enough (but not too much) calories, macros and micros. It becomes an issue when people try and impress their way of eating onto others as the ONLY way. You must eat clean, you can't eat after 7pm, you have to eat breakfast... The how should be the way that best promotes adherence for the individual

OP - IF isn't some magical weightloss tool. If you're not losing weight it's because you are eating at maintenance. Make sure you're measuring and logging accurately and then if needed drop your calories a little (have you re-calculated since losing the 10kgs? The lighter you get the less calories you need to maintain). If on the other hand after dropping your calories to an appropriate level for weightloss you're struggling you may wish to think about IF (eating all your calories for the day in a shorter window). For SOME people this has benifits that allow adherence to a calorie deficit.