Ice Cream Substitute

Options

Replies

• tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow snickerdoodle sandwiches are awesome! Even if you splurge and eat the whole package, it's only about 900 cals, but why not promise yourself one every evening and just fit it into your day?

I so want to try these, but my store doesn't carry them. The peanut butter ones are pretty good, though.

• kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am horribly addicted to ice cream and I'm trying to find a substitute. Anyone have any suggestions?

Frozen yogurt or fruit bars are good.

If it's the coldness & thickness you're craving you could blend frozen fruit with a little almond milk and make it thick like a milkshake.

Try keeping some of your favorite ice cream in the freezer and allow yourself a small serving every night as a reward for keeping within your calorie goal. Just make sure the ice cream is figured into your total beforehand. I have ice cream in the freezer now and I'll take only a spoon full if I'm close to my limit and if I'm not then I'll go for a full serving. Of course I've been known to go for a late night walk on occasion to burn some extra calories and make room in my daily allowance for ice cream.
  • kbeyer23
    kbeyer23 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As an ice cream lover, I plan 130 calories into most days to have an ice cream cone. I like Edy's churned ice cream- Double fudge brownie is only 110cal a serving and even my husband thinks it's really good! I serve that 1/2 Cup (actually I weigh mine for accuracy) into a ice cream cone and have found that to be very satisfying, as the licking lasts longer than eating spoonfuls. :) I personally am not a fan of the "light" ice cream sandwiches/bars, I think they taste kind of icy/fakey, but that's just me.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I buy ONE of the little Hagan Daz containers, the single serving 1/2 cups ones, once or twice a week (as macros permit). That way there isn't a pint or larger in the freezer calling me when I'm munching on a lower calorie alternative the rest of the week.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why is everything an addiction??????

just eat some ice cream ...wow...

Because if it's an addiction it takes away personal responsibility

I eat ice cream, gelato or some baked good daily, I just make it fit into my day.

How does addiction take away personal responsibility? Alcoholics aren't personally responsible when they drink?
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Beer

This.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Halo Top Creamery has ice cream that is 70-80 calories for 1 serving. Or you can try Edy's Slow Churn, the ones that are 1/3 of the calories of regular ice cream. I like the chocolate (100 calories for 1 serving) and the cookie dough (130 calories for 1 serving).
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I like boxes of pre-packaged single serving stuff, like Nestle Drumsticks or sandwiches. So there's no messing around with portion sizing.

Or like crystalflame said, don't keep it in the house and go out for a single serving.

"Have you tried frozen cauliflower?"
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana blended with peanut butter :) yum! I also like to add cinnamon
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow snickerdoodle sandwiches are awesome! Even if you splurge and eat the whole package, it's only about 900 cals, but why not promise yourself one every evening and just fit it into your day?

Those are really good...
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You might want to give protein fluff a try. you can find instructions on YouTube, and the stuff can be pretty damn good, especially if you freeze it.

And to the side discussion, yeah it bothers me when people misuse the word "addiction" too, but it seems like she was just using a little bit of hyperbole here. A lot of people on these boards want to push the "food is an addiction" agenda, but it doesn't really seem like that was the case here.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I like the Edy's slow-churned 1/3 less fat ice cream. I eat it most nights as my dessert.
  • jojooo714
    jojooo714 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Blue Bunny Frozen Yogurt. Nothing is a substitute for ice cream, but I have tried the Strawberry Banana and the Vanilla in the Blue bunny (Not sure of any other brand) and I no longer have sweaty withdrawals. ;)
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot. you can make a really good chocolate mousse with whipped avocado and some coco powder. It sounds nuts, but avocado flavoring is so subtle it completely disappears under whatever type of flavoring you decided to use (I like the coco powder because it also colors it). I've never frozen the stuff, but I imagine it would freeze up just fine. It's another recipe I'm certain is available online.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am horribly addicted to ice cream and I'm trying to find a substitute. Anyone have any suggestions?

I take a small glass (not even a bowl), and weight out one serving of ice cream. it fits nicely in the glass, so I don't feel like I'm getting cheated on the portion size. and I eat it slowly, and truly taste and enjoy it. it's taken a couple years to be able to do this, but it's what works for me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana blended with peanut butter :) yum! I also like to add cinnamon

I never understood this one to be honest.

1 banana = 100 calories
    1 tbsp peanuts butter = 100 calories

200 calories for a 1/2 cup serving.

Ice cream = 150 calories for a 1/2 cup serving. 120 for light at slightly over 200 for rich.

How is that different? (aside from the fact that ice cream tastes better)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I like frozen bananas blended with peanut butter, some cocoa powder, and a little sweetener.

Skinny Cow ice cream is good.

Love the individual cups. A lot of brands have them.

I also like mixing Greek Yogurt with protein powder, peanut butter, and sugar free jello.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I put greek yogurt cups in the freezer for a few hours, but that's not a substitute for ice cream. It's in addition to the ice cream I'm going to eat later.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    I get where you’re coming from, but I just make it fit into my day. I find sometimes all I need is a spoonful or two to satisfy the desire. I almost always have a half gallon of pistachio ice cream on hand for just such an emergency. If need be, I do a little extra burn to make it fit, but all the other alternatives mentioned above are pretty awesome.

You just have to find what works for you.