Ice Cream Substitute

Options

Replies

• Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana blended with peanut butter :) yum! I also like to add cinnamon

I never understood this one to be honest.

1 banana = 100 calories
    1 tbsp peanuts butter = 100 calories

200 calories for a 1/2 cup serving.

Ice cream = 150 calories for a 1/2 cup serving. 120 for light at slightly over 200 for rich.

How is that different? (aside from the fact that ice cream tastes better)

Agreed. Give me the dang ice cream any day. Although I do actually like eating my bananas with peanut butter, but I don't do it as a substitute for ice cream lol.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I really like the Snickers or Twix ice cream bars. Under 200 calories and very satisfying! Also try looking for other single servings like those mini ice cream/gelato containers. Talenti also make a chocolate dipped gelato bar; raspberry, caramel, or vanilla. I think those are also under 200 calories each. In my opinion, there's no ice cream substitute that can provide the same satisfaction. This is a lifestyle change, not a crash diet. :smile:
  • tamisteffens
    tamisteffens Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I buy the packages of individual cups of ice cream (100 calories each), but then (and this is probably going to sound stupid) I eat it with a baby spoon. I get more bites, it lasts a little longer, and I feel like I actually ate ice cream instead of had a bite of ice cream.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One thing that helped me with portions of ice cream is to go out and buy an actual 4 ounce ice cream bowl. I got a fancy looking one from Crate and Barrel that was only a couple of dollars. A serving fills the bowl, instead of swimming in a sea of sadness like it does in a cereal bowl.

ice-cream-dishes.jpg
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me with portions of ice cream is to go out and buy an actual 4 ounce ice cream bowl. I got a fancy looking one from Crate and Barrel that was only a couple of dollars. A serving fills the bowl, instead of swimming in a sea of sadness like it does in a cereal bowl.

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

I usse a coffee cup the same way, though my motivation was mostly laziness and dishes.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

I usse a coffee cup the same way, though my motivation was mostly laziness and dishes.

I also use a coffee cup.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

1 banana = 100 calories

Ice cream = 150 calories for a 1/2 cup serving. 120 for light at slightly over 200 for rich.

because the sugar in the banana is better than the sugar in the ice cream...*sarcasm*
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I bought 4 oz bowls for the same reason. When I weigh out my ?85g? of ice cream, it looks much more satisfying in the small bowl.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

I think this is a dip bowl, but similar idea.jhpckpgljjv2.jpg
  • Khukhullatus
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

1 banana = 100 calories

because the sugar in the banana is better than the sugar in the ice cream...*sarcasm*

Don't be silly, we all know the fructose molecule is different based on its source. If it comes already in the form of fructose from a fruit it is healthy, but if it used bound into sucrose it is poison. Except it's still poison if it is fructose sitting next to glucose except um . . . wait, let me go get my flow chart.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

I just eat it right out of the measuring cup because I don't want to get another dish dirty. Is that sad?
  • Khukhullatus
    Options

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

I just eat it right out of the measuring cup because I don't want to get another dish dirty. Is that sad?

I do that with my Pyrex cups for oatmeal and things like that every day. There are days where I"ll only be washing my coffee cup and a few measuring devices.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

1 banana = 100 calories

Mostly because my boyfriend eats all my icecream. :( And I need the extra potassium. Helps with leg cramps.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

1 banana = 100 calories

Don't be silly, we all know the fructose molecule is different based on its source. If it comes already in the form of fructose from a fruit it is healthy, but if it used bound into sucrose it is poison. Except it's still poison if it is fructose sitting next to glucose except um . . . wait, let me go get my flow chart.
    HAHA love it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

1 banana = 100 calories

I think this is more about eating natural than lowering calories. Banana and peanut butter have natural ingredients, and no added sugar.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

I put the pint on my food scale and eat directly from it until I reach the serving size I want.

• SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Get the single serving ice cream packs. They may be a bit more expensive because of how they are packed, but with the single servings you can limit your intake and still enjoy ice cream!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

You wouldn't get any dish dirty if you put it on a scale and just ate your serving size right out of the pint.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

You wouldn't get any dish dirty if you put it on a scale and just ate your serving size right out of the pint.

Or eat the whole pint. That's a serving size, right?