Advice on purchasing cardio equipment for home

Options
I have been thinking about buying a piece of equipment for home for years, and since my bonus this year is going to be pretty good I'm thinking it may be time. I have belonged to a few gyms in the past and like them but my old gym is in the opposite direction of where I work now and it's about 20 minutes away from home. Given my commute is pretty long, and I'm also a part-time student I think a piece of equipment for home will be best for me.

I'm generally a walker, but living in Minnesota limits my outside walks during the winter (other than to walk my dogs). I'm thinking a treadmill would be best for me but I've also looked at ellipticals. At the gym, I used to prefer the treadmill as I would do intervals of walking at an incline but I don't mind the elliptical either. I broke my foot 2X as a teen and developed stress fractures in the same foot in my 20s so running is pretty much out at this point as it aggravates my foot. I'm not sure if it makes much difference but I'm 5'3" and currently 136 lbs. I'm an empty nester so it will likely be just me using the equipment (unless one of my boys boomerangs back home.)

Most of the articles about purchasing treadmills seem geared towards runners, so I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice on how much I need to spend to get a good quality piece of equipment that will last but that also won't be overkill for my needs. How big of a motor do I need? I'm hoping to spend around $1500 but could spend a bit more if I need to so that I'm happy in the long run.

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have to admit, even though I have been active in different sports all my life, I have never set foot on a treadmill...lol. However, 3 years ago I purchased a startionary bike, and it's going strong... At this point, this is the best (and only frequent) cardio exercise that I'm doing. I'm not a runner, and some annoying knee issues keep me from my sprint drills on the track. For fast calorie burn, while watching a movie, even in PJs, I can highly recommend a stationary or spin bike. Just make sure that it is a model that can be fitted correctly to your size, and that it has a comfortable seat. Some of them have built-in exercise programs, some even link to a heart rate monitor.
    Another pro is the size. It takes up a lot less room than a treadmill or an elliptical, and it's easy to move out of the way.
  • xxlilkaycexx
    xxlilkaycexx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree with the above. Something that is easy to move is great. I got a glider and although I would have loved to have an elliptical or a treadmill, I just didn't have the space for it. . I get bored working out very easily so its nice to be able to move it in front of the TV and then move it back to its space when Im done. I think no matter what you choose though, you cant really go wrong. It is so much easier to work out when you don't have to go to the gym (especially when its cold)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Another alternative would be a rowing machine. Complements the lower body with core and upper body. Low impact and decent intensity opportunities.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a rower too personally
  • Islandgirl52
    Islandgirl52 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would pick a rower too! Great cardio and works many body parts....
  • superexcellently
    superexcellently Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We have a rowing machine (a water one to be exact, it has a tank...), it stores upright :)
  • migueldabu
    migueldabu Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a treadmill at home, it's great, helped me a lot. Then I bought a road bike last month and hooked it up on a trainer. And ever since I have not ran on my treadmill because I can bike for hours with no pain and I enjoy it so much. I wish I bought a bike and a trainer years ago. I will only use this trainer this winter and come summer I will bike every day. :)

2xy9mw1132ls.jpg
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I have an elliptical that I bought in 2012. It's a Proform 990 and cost about $900. I consider it to be one of my best investments to date. I have used it consistently since I bought it, multiple times a week, and have never had any issues with it. It also folds, which is a huge plus. It still is bulky, but when folded only occupied about 3' of floor space. I had a treadmill prior to getting the elliptical, which also folded (and maybe was also a proform?). I liked the treadmill, but the elliptical is easier on the joints. It's how I do the bulk of my cardio.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am a shopaholic so I have pretty much everything: rower, elliptical, spinning bike, recumbent bike and my road bike on a bike trainer (it allows you to do virtual rides). I am able to do intervals on all of them. I have to say the spinning bike is the most fun to do intervals. And you can purchase Spinervals DVDs which are great. You can stand or sit and also change the resistance. I feel like I can get a decent core workout when I alternate between standing and sitting.

The rower engages the most muscles and requires the least amount of time (more bang for the buck). I have heard it's the most efficient piece of cardio equipment and is also low or no impact. It does require coordination though. I love it because I feel like I get a cardio and back workout at the same time (it's essentially a seated row). I once rowed 10,000 meters and thought I was going to die. Never did that again but it was a really great workout once it was over.

The new craze is equipment that allows you to connect to google maps or some other "courses" for a virtual reality experience. This is appealing to me but my equipment is older and in good shape so I can't buy anything else.

I know very little about treadmills but I've always thought of them as the least creative. You can run or you can walk. With Elliptical, you can run, walk, hike and go forward or backward. I have a Precor so it also has resistance. Some models also have arms that move.

I have heard people say the treadclimber is very nice.

I think the most important thing, for me, is quality. If the machine is not gym quality I know I won't do it. Second is versatility.

Good luck. I'm sure whatever you choose you will get some good workouts out of it!
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking of getting a stationary bike, consider just getting a bike trainer. You put your existing bike onto the contraption and then just go. When the bike is used outside in the summer, the trainer doesn't take up much space at all.

You can also look at craigslist for a used treadmill. I can't give advice about which one is good or which to avoid so you would have to do some research.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    migueldabu wrote: »
    I have a treadmill at home, it's great, helped me a lot. Then I bought a road bike last month and hooked it up on a trainer. And ever since I have not ran on my treadmill because I can bike for hours with no pain and I enjoy it so much. I wish I bought a bike and a trainer years ago. I will only use this trainer this winter and come summer I will bike every day. :)

2xy9mw1132ls.jpg

I LOVE my bike on my trainer. LOVE.
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.... I actually have my road bike parked on my old trainer downstairs. The bike is a "vintage" 1985 Trek 620 touring bike so not a racer. My trainer is maybe about 10 years old. It's a CycleOps fluid. Is that an ok brand?

I would need to move it upstairs as the basement is pretty cold this time of year.

I currently have 2 extra bedrooms on the 2nd floor that I'm not using since my younger son moved out so I could maybe still think about adding a rower or other piece of equipment at some point. I would not want to try to get a treadmill up my 1930 staircase though.
  • migueldabu
    migueldabu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cycleops is a great brand. My trainer is a cheap trainer from ebay, noisy but does the job. What matters the most is you must enjoy the cardio exercise you do, no matter what you get. If you hate what you do, it will never work. It just so happens that I love cycling and running that is why this bike and my treadmill are perfect. Buy me an elliptical and you won't see me get near those things lol

again no matter what you get as long as you use it, enjoy it, that's the most important thing. Good luck!

Atrose - nice! I cannot wait for summer though so I can bike outside. I don't get bored on the trainer but nothing beats the wind on your face :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    katmumn wrote: »
    I I broke my foot 2X as a teen and developed stress fractures in the same foot in my 20s so running is pretty much out at this point as it aggravates my foot. I'm not sure if it makes much difference but I'm 5'3" and currently 136 lbs. I'm an empty nester so it will likely be just me using the equipment (unless one of my boys boomerangs back home.)

Stationary bike! Holy crap!

You can walk outside in any season if your foot's fine, but if your foot gets cranky you can use that bike, any time.

Plus some weights.